Author Topic: Fuck Sexism  (Read 98864 times)

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: Fuck Sexism
« Reply #870 on: January 15, 2010, 11:47:39 am »
Ah, you should take both sides of a conversation more often Z, that was delicious.

Though it seems that the "article" was directed mostly at individuals who habitually engage in one-night stands or otherwise intentionally brief relationships. While this is still quite sexist, the fault then lies with the underlying premise of the article and not necessarily the insights that the article offers.

If one's goal is simply a few nights of sex, then the smoke and mirrors approach of the article is potentially effective and pragmatic. Sex as the goal of a relationship will inherently produce sexist behaviors (as I think was discussed in the abstinence thread).

If one is in a relationship and that relationships goal is to get to know another human being, then one is changing the very premises that the article was founded on and the value of the recommendations based upon one's goal shifts.

Which is all a fancy way of saying that with the basic premise of the article, there was no way it could have been good.

However, that being said, two of the points actually do touch upon legitimate behaviors.

If you entertain a lot, it is indeed a good idea to have a varied drink selection. It shows that you are aware that people are different from you, that you care about those differences, and you are willing to adjust your behavior (in this case, buying behavior) accordingly. I dislike dry wines, but if I am going to have a dinner party, it would be prudent for me to get a few bottles of such to have on hand. This isn't really where the article was going with this basic premise, but it is sound advice if one extrapolates a little.

The second is that one's health is always one's own responsibility. Certainly a guy should have at least one condom with him, but it is far too important a matter to fully trust someone else. He might have a condom, but it is a brand one should trust? What if it is defective and breaks while putting it on (and if one is already putting on a condom, it is unlikely that reason will rule the day if it turns out there is something wrong with it)? What if one has a latex allergy? And so on, and so forth.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #871 on: January 15, 2010, 07:52:11 pm »
Reading through UNIFEM'S Progress of World's Women report: http://unhq-appspub-01.un.org/LIB/DHLRefWeblog.nsf/dx/08012010041407PMUNRSXH.htm (free PDF download in different languages)

UNIFEM recently released their 2008-2009 Progress of the World's Women report, which focuses on accountability for enforcement of progressive programs. The report states that there's a lot of good ground to be gained in this area; that women must be part of governance oversight and that governance must be evaluated from a standpoint of advancing women's rights.

The problem the report focuses on is one of female incapacity to demand accountability from government. In democracies, constituents demand accountability from their elected leaders, whether by "voice" in showing community action/voting, or "choice", like economic action. The report demonstrates with studies and arguments that women are disadvantaged from exercising their ability to demand accountability, because their life decisions are often mediated by men. This includes decisions about personal health, family visitation, and use of personal money. There's an interesting study showing that many women have limited (or even severely limited) say in the final decisions of their households. The report then outlines how UNIFEM's been fighting this, by empowering women to demand and receive accountability.

There's a very interesting report cited from Transparency International's Global Corruption Barometer which states that women, on average, perceive more corruption in the world than men. The implied reasoning is obvious: women have less power to be involved in their government and demand accountability from leaders, as their choices are filtered through and sometimes negated by male authority, and their powers are reduced or misappropriated because of sexism. The decision issue reminded me of a study that compiled anecdotes from wives who had sought to take part of popular political movements or revolutions in various countries. Many women reported that they were forbidden from being politically active by their husbands, in some cases because their husbands were suspicious of their going to political meetings at night, feeling that they were using politics as a ruse to cover up sexual affairs.

The report then focuses on different areas of this issue and recent gains, starting with politics. UNIFEM estimates that developed nations will achieve governments where no more than 60% of a single gender holds seats by 2027, while developing nations won't reach it until 2047—assuming the current rate of progress, which by no means can be taken for granted. There are several interesting stories in this section, including an excellent chart showing many countries' quotas for women that have helped females gain access to government. The next section, Services, is much like Seager's Atlas of Women, full of studies showing gender imbalances across the world in countless areas of life. The section after covers markets and economics, and inadvertently serves as a nice primer for economic globalization and labor's effect on women. There are a few choice examples, like gender discrimination at Walmart. (Just check out the export processing zone ratio of female to male workers. Yeesh.) I was glad to see an appeal to international law, as national law is often insufficient to confront international economic forces (especially in the case of developing countries with IMF programs or dependency on a few multinationals).

Justice is next, and given the recent abortion issues in the United States, it's compelling to read about the challenge of enforcing existing rights compared to winning new ones. It brings to mind the anti-choice attempts to stigmatize and complicate legal abortion procedures such that women won't dare to seek them because of the hassle (framed as the the subverted "moderate" position of, "Instead of arguing about abortion, let's just reduce the need for abortions."). The next section covered aid & security, subjects I admit to being not familiar enough with as I'd like (as they apply to women's rights). This is top-level stuff—criticisms of international organizations by international organizations. It was painful to notice the little box mentioning that UNIFEM, for its grand mission against sexual inequality and oppression—a fundamental, pervasive problem in the world—had only 47 core staff in 2003, versus 980 for UNFPA (the population fund) and 2,794 for UNICEF.

This was an enthralling read, and contains a lot of excellent, recent studies and explanations. Feminisms and countercurrents against sexual inequalities among nations are varied and often fragmented, so it's edifying to read a report truly universal in its scope and analysis.

As a final aside, the report brought up a Norwegian mandate (starting 2008) for all companies to have 40% female board membership. This sounds Draconian, but I've debated the issue of the business old boys club before, and dealt with a couple gender discrimination case studies in my proper graduate auditing class. After discussing the issue with some current auditing and public accounting employees/seniors, young and old, we reached the consensus that breaking up an old boys club from the outside is virtually impossible, unless there's a wave of other social factors at work. This seems to have been the same argument by the Norwegians, who cited previous failed initiatives in their decision to legislate this quota. This is really fascinating to me, and so I hope to learn more about the program and how well it's working. If anyone knows more about this, I invite you to offer your perspective and experience.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 07:58:56 pm by ZeaLitY »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: January 18, 2010, 01:48:10 am »
I'm still making my way through that European Feminist Forum PDF book. (http://europeanfeministforum.org/IMG/pdf/EFF_Herstory_web.pdf)

It explains its concept of affinity groups as an attempt to organize. The book highlights that sisterhood and solidarity have failed as approaches (sisterhood because it's exclusive; solidarity because it's incompatible with the reality of fragmented organizing and thinking). The book asks if anything can be built on identity, since "womanhood" is a mellifluous category with all kinds of experiences that's been used to keep out certain supporters, like men, lesbians, and transgenders. The authors then write that there's been potential in defining things as countercurrents and anti-movements, like anti-globalization, anti-environmental destruction, and so on. It still notes that thinking is fragmentary and big movements have lost their funding in recent years.

The book then explains the concept of affinity groups, which are incredibly open ended. The EFF was basically a call for a bunch of self-identifying "feminists" or women's rights activists (or really, any interested parties) to come together in like-minded groups to define Europe, feminism, and issues they cared about. The fact that the call is what resulted in their coming together is theoretically important to the writers, who argue that movements built on static foundations sometimes fail because they encapsulate sentiments and alliances at a particular time, which erodes as the future drags on. They say these affinity groups were a success.

I'm not halfway through, but I just had to stop and write how dearly, dearly tired I am of this and disgusted that so much effort in combating sexism is spent on this damn paralysis by analysis. These organizers are admirably trying to do the impossible. To unite against women's rights internationally, one has to include a host of people with their own ignorance and prejudices. Feminists have to ally with Latin American union organizers who don't give a flying fuck about gender roles, but care about workplace conditions. They have to ally with Islamic women who retardedly have no problem wearing hijab, but do care about stopping domestic violence. They have to ally with rich, elite women who hold conservative politics but are willing to fund them on certain issues. This is a minefield of in-fighting and political maneuvering.

But who is "they" in the first place? Where is the head of this creature; the top of the pyramid that's doing all this allying? There isn't one, as Western feminists encountered problems of prejudices and "hierarchical abuse" during the second wave period, offending feminists and activists in third world countries and sparking massive in-fighting. So there is no head to this chicken. It's a massive, fragmentary clusterfuck of disconnected, frayed organizations focusing on individual problems and thus lacking the allied power needed to combat the international forces (and pervasive, underlying root of sexism) causing them. You might point to UNIFEM and call that the head, but UNIFEM, like most top-level feminist organizations, is constrained by its own organizational culture and donor-politics. It's also understaffed, compared to other, more successful UN initiatives. Who can organize anything like this? There is no leadership, and there is no common platform. What can be done with this? If you don't define the purpose of something, and define the problem across a million shattered pieces of isolated humanity, what can you accomplish, no matter what you may seem to be doing?

So, some personal thoughts, while waiting for more knowledge or more-informed opinions.

Humanism

I can't see much ever being done without a concerted, organized force. UNIFEM and other rights networks are effective because they do define a common platform, even if it runs afoul of all the over-analyzed grievances of postmodern organizational thought (god, I sound like a poseur to even type something like that). They have a purpose. They know where they're going. They can construe and plan all their actions and all their strategies through the lens of their singular purpose, and focus with clarity.

There is a movement today aiming to do the same; it's humanism/the Brights. First, a concession: humanism, atheism, rationalism, and the Brights aren't an organized political force or movement, and don't have a crystal clear foundation. There are humanists who believe in New Age spiritualistic bullshit. There are atheists who believe in religions without ostensible Gods, like Buddhism. There are rationalists who have closed minds because of tradition or ingrained ideology. And there are Brights who do all of the above. But in spite of these, humanism comes closest to the purity and clarity of human advancement. After all, it is named after such. It's increasingly synonymous with the potential of humanity for greatness; the unyielding desire to understand humanity and its environment; and above all else, reason. It is reasonable that humanity be reasonable. It is reasonable that no segment of humanity be oppressed because of ignorance or prejudice. And it is reasonable that humanity should strive to improve itself, to the extent of fighting for women's rights.

I have thus come to hold reason (or, more palatable for some, humanism) as the proper, crystal-clear foundation of ideals for women's rights. It is painful to read these thoughts about organization in this EFF document, written by people who are struggling to herd cats without an idea of the grander setting; who, because it would invoke hierarchy and disagreements of reason against allies, cannot see the forest of reason for the trees. Even worse is the fact that many rationalists and humanists are technologically-inclined, "nerdy" males, who, as is evident in trips to reddit, Digg, or any profession involved in IT, have their own brand of pervasive misogyny and sexism. Their behavior, and the lack of understanding of the problem of sexism by humanist and atheist males at large, has demonized humanism to several feminists, to the point that making an argument as I am doing now sounds like a request for them to hand over the keys of their kingdom to sexist, white male atheists. This is unfortunate. It was because of the patriarchy and sexism that males are the first, and the most, to drop out of religion and other irrationalities to compose the mass of Brights and humanists. And it was extant sexism again in common behavior and thought that stigmatized the group. (Not to mention, again, the problem of adopting a base of reason when there are all these offended-at-the-drop-of-a-hat myth-believers who must be allied with to accomplish reforms.)

So, what to do? UNIFEM and other networks are effective precisely because they have mission statements and foundations. The United Nations is virtually a humanist organization unto itself, transcending nationalities and religions to advocate human rights and international law. No wonder UNIFEM's been effective, despite its limitations and the problems of influence. But all these advances are being done in an atmosphere largely absent of movements. Sure, there's a token Scandinavian country or two at any given time whose badass government is leading the charge for women's rights, but largely, there is no palpable movement. In the United States the right wing has demonized the term feminist so much that several women's rights activists are afraid to even call themselves that label, and many others are clueless what feminism is actually about (but assume it's evil and misguided). What to do?

I'm not sure what the answer is, given my early stage of experience. I fantasize about a true, crystal-clear-founded humanist organization, truly free of all prejudice and irrational belief, and committed to the illumination of humanity, but that might be a ways off. The United Nations is pretty attractive to me personally, but I haven't researched it enough to know how much of an impact I could make there. In the meantime, the EFF's affinity groups have done some good, yeah. But unlike so other movements like environmentalism or animal rights, feminism is focused on rectifying problems of half of humanity as caused by sexism, all of , and sexism pervades all the institutions that can be conveniently overlooked in other movements of less scope. There can be Christian environmentalists, sure. But can there ever be a Christian feminist, when Christianity is so deeply sexist? (Just to use one example.)

What an annoying problem. I almost want to ask the authors if they're actually atheist, but are taking this conciliatory tone with the affinity groups and their other publications as to maximize fragmented organization and alliances with believers and other impure allies—to avoid stepping on toes, so to speak. I wish a city on a hill did truly exist, and that illumination could spread out from there. Instead, we're having to unify different degrees of discorded, flawed peoples. Ugh.

I'll find the answer. We'll find it. Whether it's humanism or feminism, we won't waste a step towards the illumination of humanity. The stars are calling us. Adventure awaits. Let's clean the human house of sexism and its other afflictions and start exploring space and all our wild dreams.

The springtime of youth waits for no one.

It's a determined promise. We'll never give up. Our burning blood will cut through fate.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 02:00:02 am by ZeaLitY »

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: January 26, 2010, 10:31:19 pm »
I had my suspicions that this situation was bad, but I had no idea that it was this bad. 

http://newsjunkiepost.com/2010/01/26/13rd-of-women-in-us-military-raped/

Apologies for the large image, but I needed something dramatic to depict the rage that this inspires.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: January 28, 2010, 12:59:17 pm »
Not quite sure where to put this, as we almost need a "New Link" thread, though that would step on the toes of preexisting threads. Anywho, I present for your reading consideration, The Anti-Rape Condom

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: January 28, 2010, 05:36:34 pm »
Not quite sure where to put this, as we almost need a "New Link" thread, though that would step on the toes of preexisting threads. Anywho, I present for your reading consideration, The Anti-Rape Condom

I've heard of that before.  I would just be scared that the rapist would become so enraged that he would kill the victim.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: January 28, 2010, 05:47:57 pm »
Aye, that thought had crossed my mind as well. Though perhaps in South Africa, where rape is more likely to be done by complete strangers than here, it will give the women enough of a chance to escape that death will be no more common.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 06, 2010, 05:41:28 am »
There's a festival in Sicily for Santa Aganta, who refused to marry to someone she didn't love, and was killed and her breasts cut off. She was killed in a horrifying way; her bones were broken and she rotted for a day without medical attention. She was then going to be burned, but an earthquake struck at the time of burning, and so she was thrown into prison half-burned and half-dead, where she died a few hours later.

You know what they serve at that festival to honor her?

Sweets shaped like breasts.

Fuck this world. Fuck all machismo cultures and all sexism. Fuck all the people who eat and delight in that sweet, and fuck all the people who venerate anyone in any religious sense. They hand out a bunch of goddamned yellow candles for the feeble-minded believers to burn as part of the festivity, and you know what fucking happens after it takes place? The excess candles and the other ones are thrown in a fucking dump truck and hauled off. So much for religious sanctity, you stupid fucks. God; fucking ignorant, fallen, worthless, inferior, mediocre, stupid, sexist humanity.

Unfuckingbelievable. They should fuck off and die. Italian and Sicilian culture is ridiculously fucking sexist to begin with, more than most western states. What a rotten fucking condition.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:09:01 am by ZeaLitY »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 06, 2010, 05:49:53 am »
Just today (or, rather, in the past day), I have read three stories that turned my tummy:

1. Rush Limbaugh has been selected as a Miss America judge and things the women's movement is great when he's walking behind it.

2. A teenager in Turkey was buried alive after talking to some unrelated boys.

3. Many female veterans, once they get out of the military, end up in a life of homelessness, prostitution and sexual abuse, substance abuse, and mental illness.

And to top it all off, an assault on a friend has left me feeling upset indeed.

TMC

• Earthbound (+15)
  • Lovecraft Lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 06, 2010, 11:30:15 am »
Just today (or, rather, in the past day), I have read three stories that turned my tummy:

1. Rush Limbaugh has been selected as a Miss America judge and things the women's movement is great when he's walking behind it.

2. A teenager in Turkey was buried alive after talking to some unrelated boys.

3. Many female veterans, once they get out of the military, end up in a life of homelessness, prostitution and sexual abuse, substance abuse, and mental illness.

Aww sounds like a bad day, indeed, can't stand Rush Limbaugh or Glenn Beck for that matter. D: I'm sorry, did your friend (or you) at least kick the guy who did this in the nuts?

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 06, 2010, 04:01:37 pm »
Oh my god J, that's awful.  I hope your friend is okay.

desrever2

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 06, 2010, 04:24:56 pm »
Whoa, ZeaLitY. That story made me throw-up a little.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 06, 2010, 04:29:47 pm »
Man, what the...just, what the hell? How does this keep happening? It's so frustrating just to hear reports of this; hope the friend's okay.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 06, 2010, 07:32:10 pm »

Had your share of F-bombs today, Z?

Now that that's out of your system, what do you plan to do about it?

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 06, 2010, 07:44:13 pm »

Had your share of F-bombs today, Z?

Now that that's out of your system, what do you plan to do about it?

Become executive director of UNIFEM. What do you plan to do about it?