Author Topic: CT Last Names  (Read 18081 times)

Durakken

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
CT Last Names
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2006, 12:26:06 pm »
answered in order

quotation means it is a nickname and not their real name. Whether or not they merged or not kid's name is Schala, Schala's nickname however may not be kid.

As I explained names are given and changed as times go on depending on what happens. They don't have permanent last names as I said due to the way the world is. The Masamune part is assuming that we're talking about post CT and not pre-CT or alternate timelines from endings. Frog's name had he time continued with out time travel most likely would have become Sir Glenn Frog as he would have been the one to save the queen, which in turn knighted him and when Magus dies fighting Lavos he'd turn human. Also there is nothing to suggest that Frog EVER had the masamune in complete form before the CT events.

Magil once again would be a nickname or an AKA not a surname, unless he is not related to schala or the queen, which may be the case in which case it may be that his true name was Magus Janus Magil, but I doubt that's the case. I know very little of RD and the whole magil name as it is though.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Re: CT Last Names
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2006, 01:50:12 pm »
....I heard somewhere that Crono's last name was anrui... I think it was Chains of Fate or something but I remember reading up on something about Crono Anrui or something.  Or was it aruni... Can't remember..

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2006, 04:18:29 pm »
Magus Prince Royal Janus Zeal

Actually Magus would have a longer name... it would be more like:

Sir Magus Janus Zeal, King of the Mystics, Prince of Zeal.

You need to add Sir, because it was the title he was adressed by during his time in 600 AD. There are a bunch of Mystics that go saying, "Sir Magus, tut, tut." or something infront of his statue in the Cathedral.  Plus he was "crowned" King of the Mystics by Ozzie at some point.  Since he is royality in two nations they would have to be listed after his name followed by the respective country.

As for Anrui I have never heard about it at all.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2006, 05:10:37 pm »
Well, Magus has ceased to be Janus a long time ago and the Mystics don't form a kingdom, so "Sir Magus" would be his only name.

I've heard about Anrui but I thought it was in Chrono Legend (a famous project...).

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2006, 03:16:32 am »
I dunno, I think it could be shortened to some form of "Sir Magus, the Mystic King of Zeal" or "Sir Magus of Zeal" or something.

Zaperking

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2006, 03:22:21 am »
I dunno, I think it could be shortened to some form of "Sir Magus, the Mystic King of Zeal" or "Sir Magus of Zeal" or something.

If this is about the Mystics, they don't know where hes from, but to them he may be like a messiah.
Otherwise, Magus is Magus the Arane User / Wizard. Janus on the other hand would be Prince Janus Zeal, or Prince Janus of Zeal (in relation to Zealians naming him). Lucca refers to him as Janus, so it's either to piss him off or because hes changed like in RD it was shown.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2006, 03:39:26 am »
Well, Magus has ceased to be Janus a long time ago and the Mystics don't form a kingdom, so "Sir Magus" would be his only name.

I've heard about Anrui but I thought it was in Chrono Legend (a famous project...).

Actually, Janus continues to be his one and true name. Magus was never a name at all, merely a title, like saying 'Lord', only in this case it meant 'Sorcerer', because he was THE sorcerer. The Magus. That's all. However, it is certain that, his regency over the Mystics being over, that guise falls from him and he returns to the name of his old aristocracy: Janus. As Zaperking says, Lucca in her letter in Cross calls him not Magus but Janus, so it is certain that it by this he is commonly called - I highly doubt in so serious and final a letter she would try and annoy the man. Also, I think Kato himself refers to the hero as Janus, so I don't think Magus is really of much currency anymore in the post Trigger time period.

Personally, though, I don't think 'Zeal' is a family name, so much as a name taken as regent of the land of Zeal. Schala of Zeal becomes Schala Zeal, the royal family thus being connected with the very name of the kingdom itself - a powerful tool to cement their rule. In the old world people didn't have last names, anyway. What likely would have happened is it became added as a surname because of their rule - they identify with the kingdom, they are the kingdom, and thus their family name bears it.

By the way, anyone else hate saying it Dzay-nuss? Anyone else say it properly as Yah-nuss?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2006, 02:58:24 am »

Actually, Janus continues to be his one and true name. Magus was never a name at all, merely a title, like saying 'Lord', only in this case it meant 'Sorcerer', because he was THE sorcerer. The Magus. That's all. However, it is certain that, his regency over the Mystics being over, that guise falls from him and he returns to the name of his old aristocracy: Janus. As Zaperking says, Lucca in her letter in Cross calls him not Magus but Janus, so it is certain that it by this he is commonly called - I highly doubt in so serious and final a letter she would try and annoy the man. Also, I think Kato himself refers to the hero as Janus, so I don't think Magus is really of much currency anymore in the post Trigger time period.

Personally, though, I don't think 'Zeal' is a family name, so much as a name taken as regent of the land of Zeal. Schala of Zeal becomes Schala Zeal, the royal family thus being connected with the very name of the kingdom itself - a powerful tool to cement their rule. In the old world people didn't have last names, anyway. What likely would have happened is it became added as a surname because of their rule - they identify with the kingdom, they are the kingdom, and thus their family name bears it.

By the way, anyone else hate saying it Dzay-nuss? Anyone else say it properly as Yah-nuss?

I do. But that was a fairly recent change, at least in the terms of my life. Ja-nus before the Compendium, Yah-nuss since.

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2006, 08:49:57 pm »
Meh I stuck to Ja-nuss... I never really liked having the silent J.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2006, 10:33:51 pm »
j isn't silent. >.>

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2006, 02:40:43 am »
j isn't silent. >.>

What do you mean by silent? It IS however pronounced as an I. It's the contrast between saying the name in its anglisized form (which is alright), or in the original as the Romans would have said it (that is, with an I sound - after all, Janus was a Roman god.)

It's like Magus. How does one say that? I used to argue that it was Magos (rather than Mag-uss, or May-juss), because the English comes from Latin which comes from Greek, and in Greek it is Magos. I've since changed my opinion, however, seeing as it isn't a Greek name in origin. I think there's a Persian on these forums (who is that again?) and he will probably know best how to pronounce it, as it is from that region. But sufficed to say, even as Darius/Darios is something like Dariush, it's probably closer to Madjus or something of that sort.

I run into a conflict of pronunciation like this all the time. How does one say a name? Anglisized or original? 99% of the time I prefer the original (especially when it comes to Greek names), but can you really say Akhilleus and not bewilder people - and avoid being pedantic to boot? So I usually waver. For example, I dislike the dz sound we usually say Janus with, but still use it rather than the 'i'. Or take Caesar. Yeah, I can say 'Kaisar', but it becomes awkward. Nonetheless, Iulius Kaisar sounds far better (in my opinion), than Julius Ceasar. It comes down to the same thing with Crono names... even Crono. Does one roll the r like it should be, or keep it harsh? Well, that one's easier to get away with.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2006, 09:35:03 am »
Personally, I prefer the English pronounciation (or French...). I mean, when I write in English I'm supposed to use the Roman alphabet. I am also supposed to use the English grammar system. A sentence like "He's Janus, and this is Janus' cat" is possible in English, but a sentence like "He's Ianvm, and this is Iani cat" (or whatever) is not possible or would be very awkward. So, logically, I think I'm also supposed to use the English sound system (and alphabet system: J != I and U != V).

Actually, there's no major problem with Janus, but what if we're talking about Chinese names or names from other languages which use a totally different sound system than English (missing or additional phonemes, etc.)? Then it's even more acceptable and accepted to pronounce them in a way which is easy for English speakers. Sometimes, the custom goes as far as simply using another word which might not even exists in the original language: we speak about "China" and "India", never about "Zhongguo" and "Bharat" (or whatever the spellings are).

So that's for the historical names. For the names given to people, it's even more natural. In French, Achille is a name which is very rare but which exists. When some parents name their son Achille, I really doubt that they have the "Akhilleus" pronounciation in mind. They will rather think about the French pronounciation ("Asheel").
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 09:36:36 am by Chrono'99 »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2006, 05:18:01 pm »
Wouldn't Magus be more of a nickname, thus making it more like...

Janus "Magus" Zeal

Especially once we figure in the Japanese version of Magus' name being Maou, (meaning Demon King)...? I mean, it's not his real name, it's just something he (or whoever) makes up and calls him (for w/e reason).

Jaki "Maou" Zeal

*snicker*

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2006, 02:32:32 am »
Wouldn't Magus be more of a nickname, thus making it more like...

Janus "Magus" Zeal

Especially once we figure in the Japanese version of Magus' name being Maou, (meaning Demon King)...? I mean, it's not his real name, it's just something he (or whoever) makes up and calls him (for w/e reason).

Jaki "Maou" Zeal

*snicker*

Not nickname but, as I said, title. It's a title that became a proper name. Satan is the precident for this. At first it simply means 'the accuser' but, as time goes on, it becomes a proper name. Thus for Janus. At first he is The Magus, The Sorcerer, but eventually the 'the' is dropped, and it simply becomes Magus.

In regards to pronunciation... yeah, Chrono'99, I agree with you. The standard is to shift the pronunication of a name into the language using the nominative of the name (if it comes from a declined language like Greek, that is.) English, however, does not seem well suited to pronouncing Classical names. German is far superior. Listen to Agamemnon in Greek, then in German, then English. English for that particular name isn't half-bad, but German is far nearer. Likewise for most other names, interestingly enough. I guess that's why there was a lot of work done in the Classics by Germans in the 19th century... but for us English speakers, English really does suffice. I just... personally like the originals, you know? Call me a Classics nerd, but it sounded awesome when a guest-lecturing TA said Akhilleus and Troia rather than Achilles and Troy.

Lord Homonculous

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 04, 2006, 05:18:42 pm »
Hey, I'm not the one who proposed Crono was immaculately conceived by the Entity. Someone else did that.

Metichloriens!?!?!?!

*throws a knife at a poster of George Lucas*