Author Topic: Is this possible?  (Read 1874 times)

Insane

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Is this possible?
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:12:56 am »
The Time Gates lead from one point in history to another, while leading to the same point in time. I have two questions.

Firstly, shouldn't every person who passed though a Time Gate end up at the same point in spacetime? I mean, lets say, someone goes though a gate five times. All of them, who passed though that gate, should end up at the same point in time. I don't think I'm being very clear, if you don't understand I'll re-word it.

Secondly, if the Time Gates and The Epoch can travel though time, what are the chances of there not being anything else in the exact place they appear? (A TimeGate/Epoch appears phased, like passing though a wall, a ghost. Just they stop phasing half-way though.)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 01:35:10 pm »
The Time Gates lead from one point in history to another, while leading to the same point in time. I have two questions.

Firstly, shouldn't every person who passed though a Time Gate end up at the same point in spacetime? I mean, lets say, someone goes though a gate five times. All of them, who passed though that gate, should end up at the same point in time. I don't think I'm being very clear, if you don't understand I'll re-word it.
Logically, the 'purpose' of the gates is to help Crono and co. change the course of history, no? So, therefore, if Crono wishes to change history without creating hundreds(perhaps thousands) of Cronos, thereby invalidating his efforts; one must assume that the gates must, respectively, move through time. And that would be the 'meaning' as to why the gates, and derivatively the Epoch, do not lead to a common point in time.

Quote from: Insane
Secondly, if the Time Gates and The Epoch can travel though time, what are the chances of there not being anything else in the exact place they appear? (A TimeGate/Epoch appears phased, like passing though a wall, a ghost. Just they stop phasing half-way though.)
I think we can write the animation of the epoch off as, at most, a relative illusion and, at least, a special effect.
Next, the gates. The gates are just that-gates, they take up no space. Kind of like asking how much dirt is in a 3'x3'x6' hole. However, if in the off-case a gate is, say... in a mountain. There would be no way to exit the gate, and therefore, no way to enter it either. So, I guess it's kinda... moot.

Though you may want to read this as there was originally a system uncanny to what you are describing in the prototype.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2008, 02:11:55 pm by BROJ »

Insane

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 03:21:13 pm »
I think we can write the animation of the epoch off as, at most, a relative illusion and, at least, a special effect.

Do you mean the smoke trails? (Flying) or the "Whooshy Thing When You First Use it"?

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 03:30:25 pm »
Do you mean the smoke trails? (Flying) or the "Whooshy Thing When You First Use it"?
Both; although the after-images would be the perspective from a third-party and the "whooshy" thing would be from Crono's perspective─keep in mind, though, these animations were arbitrarily and artistically picked and, in no way, should be construed as the actual perspectives of these phenomena.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2008, 11:17:14 pm »
Almost everyone here in the Compendium thinks that the Entity created the Gates, therefore the Entity, being a sentient being, would have created the gates in places of convenience... in short, the location of these gates are arbitrary... Surely the Entity, wanting to aid Crono and Co. in defeating Lavos, would not place the gates in unsuitable places such as inside a mountian, or the sea, or a wall...

As for the Epoch, the attachment of wings by Dalton would have been an easy solution.. But how about when it was 'earthbound' so to speak?  Remember that when after Zeal fell, Epoch must have been surely destroyed by the tsunami afterwards, but it wasnt.. It somehow managed to get to a place of safety, and rejoined the Co. afterwards in the Last Village.. We could assume that, being built by a wise mentor of an ancient, advanced civilization in a technologically advanced era (2300), the Epoch might contain a highly sophisticated AI that would ensure its passenger's safety, in ordinary spacetime and whilst travelling between them..

RedStar

• Iokan (+1)
  • I'm the baddest mother to ever crash into earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 05:14:10 am »
When the Epoch appears it has a sort of after image effect (after image is kind of a weird term to use).  To me that means that it doesn't "materialize" or whatever instantly.  One thing I always had a problem with when dealing with time travel like that is how you deal with the air particles that are there.  You can't just appear somewhere instantly, the microscopic things that are there have to go somewhere.  The after image effect could be the Epoch materializing and bit by bit pushing other matter out of the way as it appears.

MagilsugaM

• Time Traveler (+800)
  • Never say never... Nothing is impossible...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 07:38:21 am »
When the Epoch appears it has a sort of after image effect (after image is kind of a weird term to use).  To me that means that it doesn't "materialize" or whatever instantly.  One thing I always had a problem with when dealing with time travel like that is how you deal with the air particles that are there.  You can't just appear somewhere instantly, the microscopic things that are there have to go somewhere.  The after image effect could be the Epoch materializing and bit by bit pushing other matter out of the way as it appears.

I allways thought that the epoch going around the world like superman to go back in time. But then even if you make that possible you won't go back in time.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 04:09:47 pm »
Almost everyone here in the Compendium thinks that the Entity created the Gates, therefore the Entity, being a sentient being, would have created the gates in places of convenience... in short, the location of these gates are arbitrary... Surely the Entity, wanting to aid Crono and Co. in defeating Lavos, would not place the gates in unsuitable places such as inside a mountian, or the sea, or a wall...

As for the Epoch, the attachment of wings by Dalton would have been an easy solution.. But how about when it was 'earthbound' so to speak?  Remember that when after Zeal fell, Epoch must have been surely destroyed by the tsunami afterwards, but it wasnt.. It somehow managed to get to a place of safety, and rejoined the Co. afterwards in the Last Village.. We could assume that, being built by a wise mentor of an ancient, advanced civilization in a technologically advanced era (2300), the Epoch might contain a highly sophisticated AI that would ensure its passenger's safety, in ordinary spacetime and whilst travelling between them..
Yes, but Insane was asking what could be the possible reasoning for the behavior of the gates. Second, the mountain scenario was hypothetical as it pertained to his question. Keep in mind I'm not searching for Entity cop-outs, granted, though, the Planet's energy was personified as an intelligent entity in the game and, as such, it is logical to hypothesize such a force is interfering given the 'smart' supernatural phenomena that occurs during CT. The Epoch had wings before Zeal fell, so that's not an issue and, yes, the Epoch did fly itself to a place of safety ala Asimov's three laws of robotics; namely:
Quote from: Three Laws of Robotics; Isaac Asimov
   1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
   2. A robot must obey orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
   3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
The only things that would leave me a little confounded, is why the Epoch would have weaponry and why it would allow Crono and co. to force it to commit quasi-suicide crashing into Lavos(perhaps these were programmed exceptions. Edit: I see why it would allow itself to be destroyed as it would be protecting the whole of humanity. And the lasers probably fired to disable Blackbird.)

Why would 'after-image' be a weird term? When the Epoch leaves it's gone, but it has left the natural time continuum and broken the speed of information(c; aka the speed of light in a vacuum) and thus a sort of event horizon(not a singularity, mind you) has formed leaving the image of an object in sight relatively long after the object has gone.

I allways thought that the epoch going around the world like superman to go back in time. But then even if you make that possible you won't go back in time.
I believe this is an allusion to the fact that anything traveling faster than the speed of light would be able to meet itself before it left.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 04:15:22 pm by BROJ »

Insane

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 05:15:10 pm »
The only things that would leave me a little confounded, is why the Epoch would have weaponry.

I belive Dalton added this in, as when you flick a switch (Y Button, I think it was.), Lasers fire. And, The Switch was new, so it's safe to say the lasers were too.

The after image effect could be the Epoch materializing and bit by bit pushing other matter out of the way as it appears.

Ahhh, now theres an idea! This would remove all chance of a giant.. thing of doom from two partices taking up one position in space.

RedStar

• Iokan (+1)
  • I'm the baddest mother to ever crash into earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2008, 03:44:26 am »
I think after image is a weird term to use because if you go backwards in time then you see that after image sort of effect.  You're going backwards in time and seeing an AFTER affect.  That's why I think it's a weird term to use, but I can't think of a better one to describe it.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2008, 02:52:26 pm »
I think after image is a weird term to use because if you go backwards in time then you see that after image sort of effect.  You're going backwards in time and seeing an AFTER affect.  That's why I think it's a weird term to use, but I can't think of a better one to describe it.
Ah, see where you're going with this... Let me provide a scenario: The party leaves Lucca behind in 1000AD watching the rest of Crono and co. leave in the Epoch─she would then see an "after-image" of the Epoch leaving 1000AD as it was, in reality, no longer there when see looked.

Insane

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2008, 02:55:40 pm »
Ahhh.