Author Topic: Turn Based Combat  (Read 5045 times)

redwing605

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Turn Based Combat
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2008, 04:50:58 pm »
And though the series is changing (i think?), you can always point out the Dragon Quest series...the IV-VI remakes on DS are of course, doing great in Japan already...*shrugs*

It's Dragon Quest it ALWAYS does good in japan it majorly out sells FF every time.

Kilfer RPGs aren't all that popular in AMERICA, i have already said this, if you actually look at what those games sell like in Japan you would see why they keep making them they sell a lot.  Which is why we get screwed out of so many games, if it doesn't have squre-enix written on the cover it sales very little, expect for the tales games they seem to be getting more and more popular.  I don't care what anybody thinks it is stupid to just throw something that works perfectly and most people enjoy, it doesn't have to be innovative the story is where it matters most and with that in mind ff12 sucked really bad, I enjoyed the mmo battle engine but the story just wasn't there.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Myndflame.com (or) myspace.com/sterence
    • View Profile
    • My teams movie site. Myndflame movies are ours
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2008, 04:54:07 pm »
0_o dude, the story was . . . no nevermind, okay. Sex is fine in Japan, blood and gore is fine here. Two entirely different cultures who are far more accepting of different things.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2008, 04:56:10 pm »
Exactly! Just look at Manhunt 2! Banned in European areas, okay in America!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2008, 05:00:57 pm »
And though the series is changing (i think?), you can always point out the Dragon Quest series...the IV-VI remakes on DS are of course, doing great in Japan already...*shrugs*

It's Dragon Quest it ALWAYS does good in japan it majorly out sells FF every time.

Uh, yeah, exactly...and it's always been turn-based.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2008, 05:04:40 pm »
I mean different cultures will do well with different kinds of games. While a lot of japanese games seem, mundane and, strange to us, they sell incredibly fast over in Japan. I think very few RPGs sell well here cause few companies really know how to make an American RPG.

Eternal Sonata for example, was fun, but incredibly japanese. Lines like "If I kiss him, will it find him from here?" or "The eternal heat of my burning blade will cut through flesh and bone and pierce your rage-filled soul!" . . . just, sit awkwardly with most American gamers.

For the record however, Mass Effect, did very well, and was a very well refined, and INNOVATIVE rpg. It is also one of my most recommended and favorite games of all time. Just know that if you play Halo of Call of Duty, the combat isn't exactly, innovative, the game itself ties in so many deep storytelling elements, you tend to forget it's very minor flaws.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2008, 05:14:08 pm »
Eternal Sonata for example, was fun, but incredibly japanese. Lines like "If I kiss him, will it find him from here?" or "The eternal heat of my burning blade will cut through flesh and bone and pierce your rage-filled soul!" . . . just, sit awkwardly with most American gamers.

That...doesn't sound like a flaw of turn-based combat to me...

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2008, 05:14:27 pm »
GameInformer Issue 183 has it's own particular reasons as to why they don't sell as well.
They pretty much feel a lot of the ideas are fantasied(crappy spelling)to a point where coming up with the idea in school will put you in a seat in the special class next to the kid who eats the paste, that people who buy RPGs are usually and I quote "RPG dorks", and that they are Japanese.
Just found that today in their Sacred Cow Barbecue of Chrono Trigger, but those were the points that can be applied to ANY RPG pretty much and that's often what I hear from people. Too japanese, confusing plot, or nerdy are the reasons I hear.

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

That...doesn't sound like a flaw of turn-based combat to me...

Nah that's me explaining why Japanese RPGs don't sell well in America . . . generally

EclipsedExistence

• Earthbound (+15)
  • "Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is be
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2008, 09:16:36 pm »
I think Onslaught hit it on the head. There is a stigma, especially amongst younger gamers, that RPGs are for nerds. That, or gaming companies, which still seem to believe that all gamers are teens and younger, and that teens and younger aren't patient in giving the time required for the standard Turn-based RPG. Which is why you see the trend towards more action-oriented RPGs. They don't require as much thought, in the gaming companies views.

I hope that the above is comprehensible. I spliced most sentences at least twice =)

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2008, 10:17:29 pm »
The cure for that stigma is not to stuff Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest down there throats, but to ease them in Let them play Fallout or KoTOR its the a perfect transition between the two cultures.

redwing605

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2008, 05:43:35 pm »
I mean different cultures will do well with different kinds of games. While a lot of japanese games seem, mundane and, strange to us, they sell incredibly fast over in Japan. I think very few RPGs sell well here cause few companies really know how to make an American RPG.

Well that's really not true there are a ton of American RPGs there just all on the PC where we do our best or at least we use to.  When it comes to consoles even though we made the first one with Atari it is a Japanese made thing now. Not everything has to be Americanized I like my Japanese styled things to stay Japanese, I love my American RPGs Mass Effect, KotOR, etc. I just want to be able to go to JRPGs to get a different style of game play and storytelling, you have to have diversity.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 05:48:07 pm by redwing605 »

Kilfer

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2008, 08:25:22 pm »
There are a ton of American RPGs on the PC?

Btw I'm a strong advocate for the console out doing the PC

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2008, 08:35:07 pm »

redwing605

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2008, 01:43:44 am »

No where NEAR a full list at all.

Dude if you actually look at the top it says the list is incomplete, most if not all RPGs made on computer are made by Americans.

Btw I'm a strong advocate for the console out doing the PC

So am I, but by now it has more than out done PC.  The only thing that truly hasn't switched over yet is MMORPGs and that's only a matter of time before that happens.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2008, 02:17:05 am »

Dude if you actually look at the top it says the list is incomplete, most if not all RPGs made on computer are made by Americans.
Yes it does, and I stated it it to make it extra clear there are a ton of American RPGs on the PC. Which is what he asked.

So am I, but by now it has more than out done PC.  The only thing that truly hasn't switched over yet is MMORPGs and that's only a matter of time before that happens.
That doesn't make sense at all? Role playing games by defintion are games in which you play as a character and fallow in his would. So it can be split in to two major category's open and linear. Now if your talking open gameplay adventuring about just doing as you damn well please(ie. Fallout, Elder scrolls, WoW, Baldurs gate) then PC has the clear advantage not just in library but in interface and ability. Console just can't handle it normal and when it can it at a severe disadvantage ala Morrowind or Oblivion. As for linear It follows a preset character on a preset course the advantage over Freeplay? Story these tend to have epic memorable tales(ie. Final fantasy, Star ocean, Xenosaga, Dragon Quest) This is fully with in the PC power to do and in fact there are many on the PC like Dragon Quest, Ultima, Eye of the Beholder, KOTOR, even FF VII and VIII are on PC.