Author Topic: Things we want in this new Chrono Trigger  (Read 3561 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Things we want in this new Chrono Trigger
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 02:55:23 am »
I don't think they can put a sequel in with the port...or at least, not from my definition of 'port'...>_>

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2008, 11:35:51 am »
I don't think they can put a sequel in with the port...or at least, not from my definition of 'port'...>_>

What I was getting at was I do not want to see another port of CT, I want a sequel.  But you said it best, regarding Capcom though.  Square is doing the same thing basically, re-releasing the same games again and again.  Sure most may be in 3-D, but really?  Who the F cares about 3-D?  Not me.  Ugly as fuck.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2008, 11:27:30 pm »
Yes, but what I was getting at was that you're off-topic. ;)

I don't see them porting CT again as 're-releasing the same game again and again'...It got one seriously fuct port on PSX (two gens ago, btw) and nothing since then. I think a new port, much better done, isn't even close to a bad thing. And, although some may not like it, graphics are a big thing to current gamers...should they be denied the awesomeness that is oldschool games just because they're turned off by the graphics? I don't think so. A graphical upgrade is just a better way of telling the story...either way though, it's not going to make-or-break the game...but if it can garner more attention, I think that's a good idea...

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2008, 11:31:21 pm »
you have to admit, guys, chrono trigger doesn't look bad.  not bad at all.  i mean, the DS could do more, but i'm perfectly fine with a port.

plus, you have to realize that this isn't a direct port.  notice the HP and MP bars?  that's new coding right there.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2008, 11:36:59 pm »
Yeah, I'm not saying there's anything bad w/just an enhanced port...just that 3D would not only be nice, but possible & still look good. I wish that they'd at least clean up the sprites some maybe, though...idk...But to me anything's good because anything's better than that lame, half-assed PSX port.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2008, 12:26:55 am »
I agree on all counts, Translanka. I wouldn't mind diagonal sprites for walking/running...

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2008, 10:20:51 am »
I wont be getting a DS, any time soon, if ever.  So no ports or remakes of my favourite games for me. bleh

Eternal Myst

• Level ** (100)
  • Confirmed working on PAL.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2008, 11:08:19 am »
Yeah, I'm not saying there's anything bad w/just an enhanced port...just that 3D would not only be nice, but possible & still look good. I wish that they'd at least clean up the sprites some maybe, though...idk...But to me anything's good because anything's better than that lame, half-assed PSX port.
Yeah 3D would be nice if the original team did it.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2008, 11:22:20 am »
The more I look at it, the more i'm fine with a port.  ALOT less chance of a screw-up.

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
  • I am here to protest beauty pageant sexism
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2008, 11:31:13 am »
you know what I WISH is in the new game?
save states and a speed button!
cause i just realized that without them im probably gonna be alot worse at this game than i thought i was (well i played the playstation version before but i didnt go that far)

and also, i didnt know toriyama didnt do those cutscenes! they looked like his style.. am i missing something here?

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2008, 04:44:53 pm »
Quote from: placidchap
I wont be getting a DS, any time soon, if ever.  So no ports or remakes of my favourite games for me. bleh

BUY IT ANYWAYS!!! At the very least buy a copy for someone you know who owns a DS or something, man! Or just buy a copy so you can hug it at night when you feel afraid that the Chrono series will completely die out...er, what? Is that only me that's going to do that? >_<

Quote from: Eternal Myst
Yeah 3D would be nice if the original team did it.

I don't see why that would be necessary...Matrix Software did a great job translating FFIII & FFIV into 3D...>_>

Quote from: Mitchr90
and also, i didnt know toriyama didnt do those cutscenes! they looked like his style.. am i missing something here?

They were done by underlings who copy his style, but you'll notice things off from Toriyama's actual designs: Crono's proportions (which they made more resemble Goku for no good reason) and, my main gripe, Glenn's stupid hair in the new ending.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2008, 12:48:55 am »

They were done by underlings who copy his style, but you'll notice things off from Toriyama's actual designs: Crono's proportions (which they made more resemble Goku for no good reason) and, my main gripe, Glenn's stupid hair in the new ending.

Actually all the characters in the cutscenes were to look like DBZ characters. Crono to Goku. Lucca to Bulma. Human Glenn to Vegeta.(not kidding look at behind pics of them they are remarkably the same size) Frog Glenn to Ginyu Frog. Ayla to Android 18. Robo, I can't tell but I'm sure he was. Marle you can compare to Chichi but, there are only certain images of Chichi as her constant change through the series.

Mitchr90

• Guardian (+100)
  • I am here to protest beauty pageant sexism
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2008, 11:01:25 pm »

Actually all the characters in the cutscenes were to look like DBZ characters. Crono to Goku. Lucca to Bulma. Human Glenn to Vegeta.(not kidding look at behind pics of them they are remarkably the same size) Frog Glenn to Ginyu Frog. Ayla to Android 18. Robo, I can't tell but I'm sure he was. Marle you can compare to Chichi but, there are only certain images of Chichi as her constant change through the series.

i noticed that and it really ticked me off. i know theres probably some dragon ball fans here but i personally hate that show and if it were not for the many great character designs of chrono trigger i would probably hate his style altogether. But watching those playstation cutscenes made me feel like he didnt know how to draw anything else other than those characters from dragonball z. so its a relief he didnt really do it.
i personally am more of a fan of the art style from cross. the cutscenes were beautiful imo.

Ekul

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2008, 05:19:11 pm »
Okay, any of these would be awesome. I don't expect some of these, and all of them are very unrealistic. However, probability dictates that the more wishes I have, the more likely it is that some of them will come true!
New attacks (Like more lasers for Robo)
Double Techs for Magus (even if it's just with Crono)
New Character *
New Game Plus advancement**
New items, especially for Magus
Correction of a few translation errors, most importantly the whole "Step-brother" thing.
A completed map of Apocalypse. That way, maybe the dungeon could be in 1999! :D
A remastering of music, but the ability to switch between the old style and the new. While I would like some music to be more clear, all of the music are absolutely PERFECT! There is no soundtrack in any game that matches Chrono Trigger. If they botch it up in the remastering, however, I'd like the ability to play the old version.
A retcon about the deaths of the main characters in Radical Dreamers/Chrono Cross. Don't get me wrong, I love Crono Cross, but Lucca, Robo and Crono are some of the best characters in video game history! I don't want to have the heroes that saved the world to die anti-climatically after so much hard work. (Of course, this is assuming that Crono died in the Guardia overthrow, that Lucca was killed by the much less powerful Lynx and that the Prometheus circuit is Robo, and also that Robo wasn't time-cloned when he was sent back into the future)

*Possibly Schala, although isn't she supposed to be less powerful than Magus? Other good includable characters could be Johnny (lol), a reptite or a Nu.
**Let me explain. I would like a Chrono Cross-like ability to switch in characters I don't have yet. This would have no effect on the story, but I'd be able to use Magus on earlier bosses without cheats. Including Magus. Awesome.

Patchy

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2008, 03:01:10 pm »
I wouldn't mind seeing a serious hint at a new game slipped into CTDS, preferably after a fade to black on some ending or another.