Author Topic: how do you pronounce these peoples' names?  (Read 25543 times)

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
how do you pronounce these peoples' names?
« on: June 03, 2005, 01:28:04 am »
im trying to figure out how to pronounce the names of some of these characters, because i dont want to mess up the names in the movie.

here's a list of names i need to know how to pronounce correctly (my guesses of what they are are next to them):

Crono: Krono?
Lucca: Lewka?
Marle: Mawrel?
Schala: Skawluh?
Ayla: Eielah?
Magus: Magis? (Not a "J" sound but "G")
Melchoir: Melkwire?
Nu: Is it New or Nee?
Belthasar: Belthazar?

EDIT: Names I'm going with:

Belthasar: Bel-thuh-sar (thuh as in thug)
Nu: Noo
Melchior: Mel-key-ore
Magus: Ma-giss (iss as in hiss)
Ayla: Eye-luh
Schala: Shaw-luh
Marle: Marl
Lucca: Loo-kuh (loo as in looney toons)
Crono: Like Chrono (Kro-No)
Janus: Jay-niss (iss as in hiss)
Lavos: Law-Vose (law as in the word law, and vose as in vase, but with an "oh" in the middle instead of the ay sound)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: how do you pronounce these peoples' names?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 05:32:43 am »
Quote from: MitchelHunt
im trying to figure out how to pronounce the names of some of these characters, because i dont want to mess up the names in the movie.

here's a list of names i need to know how to pronounce correctly (my guesses of what they are are next to them):

For some reason, pronunciation of characters' names is a perennial source of flaming and controversy in the video game world, so you can expect to get different answers from different people everywhere you go. Here's my take on their names. Bold indicates primary stress. An apostrophe ' indicates secondary stress:

1. Crono - KRŌ - nō'
Note: "Crono" is a derivative of the English prefix "chrono."

2. Lucca: LŌŌ - kə

3. Marle: MÄRL

4. Schala: SHÄ - lä

5. Ayla: Ī - lä

6. Magus: - gəs
Note: "Magus" is a real word.

7. Melchior: MĔL - kē - ôr'
Note: Melchior is a historical figure one of the Three Magi. You misspelled his name. (I made the same mistake when I first played the game.)

8. Nu: NŌŌ

9. Belthasar: BĔL - thə - zär'
Note: "Balthasar," with an A instead of an E, is another of the Three Magi.

Edit: Replaced an incorrect symbol with the correct form

Eggith Cyrene

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 09:42:20 am »
I pronouce "Nu" ~New~

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 10:37:46 am »
Quote from: Eggith Cyrene
I pronouce "Nu" ~New~

That's the way I listed it above. I had a hell of a time writing those pronunciations in standard form, not least of all because it's a nuisance to copy in all those special symbols.

Here is a popular dictionary's pronunciation key:

http://dictionary.reference.com/help/ahd4/pronkey.html

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 04:40:00 pm »
I agree with LJe except for Marle, which I pronounce as "Mar-lee", but that's probably rare and I only think of it like that cuz of my first impression (like how I refuse to believe that Celes is pronounced Cel-ez and not Seels)

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 06:33:13 pm »
I've always thought that Lucca was pronounced like "Luck-a", with the double c becoming a hard sound.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 06:58:03 pm »
Quote from: MitchelHunt

Alright, I think I have discussed this a myriad of times in many different places. Some are open to interpretation, but others are real and the pronouciation is known.

Crono
Common: I think most say this as KROE-no
Intended: Same as the common one.
Actual: This name comes from the Greek/Hellenic traditions. From this it might either be from Kronos (ie. Kappa, rho, omicron, nu, omicron, sigma)
the Titan who was the father of a number of the Olympian gods. This is pronounced roughly comparable to the English, save that the omicron is as the u in 'but', and the r is trilled, thus making it unlike any existant English word. However, the other posibility for the origin, which is more direct in connection, stems from the prefix for time (which, if truth be told, also comes from the aforementioned Titan), and is slightly different. This is most often spelled 'Chrono', in a slightly anglisized version. It is slighly misleading, however. Once again, the o's are omicrons, and thus pronounced more as the u in 'but' than a true o; likewise the r is trilled. Moreoever, the actual word is 'Chronos', thus exemplifying the changes made to English. Finally, when used as a name in the English game, it is rendered Crono. This again is slightly misleading its origin. The ch was, actually, not a k, as the word makes out. It is in truth a Greek chi (to our eyes, if spelled in Greek, it would appear as an X). The pronounciation of this letter is extremely difficult, as it is an aspirated k. It lies somewhere between a German ch (ie. in Bach, or Buch, and equivalent words, if that makes it clearer... certain not the ch as in Church!) and a true k. Seeing its difficulty in pronounciation for English speakers, it is not surprising it simply becomes a k. The same thing is apparent in the name Achilles. So in truth it would be a little different, but the common pronouncation is quite similar, anyway.
Personal: I say it as KROE-no, ie. the common way, save that I trill the r after the old fashion. I don't wager there's anyone else that does that, though.

Lucca
Common: LOO-kah, I believe. Some say it LUCK-ah, but I think they are in the minority.
Intended: I am uncertain here.
Actual: N/A
Personal: Same as the common.

Marle
Common: I am uncertain which group holds the higher ground in pronounciation here. Some say MAR-lay, some MAR-lee, and others simply MARL.
Intended: Likely MARL, as the name was Marl in Japanese.
Personal: I used to say it MAR-lee, but now say it more MAR-lay

Schala
Common: Some say it SKA-la, but I think the vast and overnumbering majority use SHA-lah
Intended: I would wager SHA-lah, but I cannot be certain.
Personal: Same as the common.

Ayla
Common: I am quite certain this is AY-lah.
Intended: Again, I think it is AY-lah.
Personal: Same as the common

Magus
Common: I think those who say MAY-gis are in the majority, though there are some that say MAY-jis, and MAH-guss, as well.
Intended: I think the intent was MAY-gis, which has become the colloquial pronounciation of the word.
Actual: Without doubt, the actual pronounciation is currently MAY-gus, but of old it was MAH-gus. It is the old Latin singular of Magi.
Personal: MAH-gus. I go with the ancient traditions.

(Just tossing in one of my own here that is often mispronounced)

Janus
Common: JAY-niss
Intended: JAY-niss
Actual: ee-AH-nus. This is the name of a Roman god, and the Latin speaking peoples had no J.
Personal: Same as the actual. Again, I prefer true pronounciations of such things. Plus it sounds far more ancient.

Melchior
Common: MEL-key-or
Intended: MEL-key-or
Actual: Likely the same, although the r may be trilled. Moreoever, I am not sure on the precise pronounciation of the ch. It may be an aspirated sound but, as it is not Greek, I am uncertain. It comes from the ancient Near East, and other names are akin to it, such as Melchizedek. Considering Cherubim is actually Kerubim, it may well be that the k pronounciation for the ch is in fact aright.
Personal: As all these others.

Nu
Common: NOO or NEW, I'm not sure.
Intended: I'm not certain.
Personal: NOO

Belthesar
Common: BEL-the (as in then)-sar
Intended: Likely the common
Actual: There are few different pronounciations of this name, I think, as there are a few different spellings. Sometimes it is Balthesar, and other times even Belthezar. I think in origin it was probably the latter of these. Thus the s would be a z, and Bel (being the name 'Lord' in Babylonian, and related to Baal). BEL-the-zar, then.
Personal: The latter of the actual.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 08:47:54 pm »
Schala - Sara :P

I used to say Mar-lee, but now realize that it should be Marl...Either way, it's all Nadia to me.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 09:48:08 pm »
Here are my takes:

Crono- Ku ro no
Lucca- Lew ka
Marle- Mar lee
Ayla- A(as in the letter) la
Magus- Mag us
Schala- Sh(like the noice you make to tell someone to shut up) ala
Melchoir- Mel chi or
Nu- New
Belthasar- Bell tha star

Shadow_Dragon

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 11:33:36 pm »
Quote from: Daniel Krispin
Janus
Common: JAY-niss
Intended: JAY-niss
Actual: ee-AH-nus. This is the name of a Roman god, and the Latin speaking peoples had no J.
Personal: Same as the actual. Again, I prefer true pronounciations of such things. Plus it sounds far more ancient.

I have a problem with this, mainly because we don't say "Ianuary", "Reiuvination", "Iulius" (nor do we even refer to Gaius Julius Caeser specifically, since 'Julius Caesar' was also Augustus' last name), "Iupiter", etc.

Aitrus

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2005, 12:46:31 am »
Actually, he's correct.  Old Latin did not have a "j" sound or character.  Just because we now have this sound in English - a Germanic language, by the way, not a Latin descendant - has no bearing on Latin pronunciations and spellings.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2005, 02:00:04 am »
Quote from: Aitrus
Actually, he's correct.  Old Latin did not have a "j" sound or character.  Just because we now have this sound in English - a Germanic language, by the way, not a Latin descendant - has no bearing on Latin pronunciations and spellings.

I think he's saying that it is pedantic to use a Latin-spelled pronunciation on an English-spelled word.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2005, 03:52:52 am »
Quote from: Shadow_Dragon
I have a problem with this, mainly because we don't say "Ianuary", "Reiuvination", "Iulius" (nor do we even refer to Gaius Julius Caeser specifically, since 'Julius Caesar' was also Augustus' last name), "Iupiter", etc.

Perhaps true, which is why I gave several forms of pronounciation in my list: the one I think is the most common, the one I think is intended (which, for most of them, is the same as the common... only Marle is different in that regard, I think), the way it would have been pronounced in its place of origin (if it has a real origin), and the way I pronounce it. Really, those last two really only matter a lot to me - I've got a thing for the pronounciation of things like that. I shudder saying Zeus or Achilles or any of those other names in the English way, and very often say it in a more accurate manner afterward. Most important to the topic of the thread were the first two of the list, the common and the intended.

Personally, I just think Janus in the old way sounds a lot better. Likewise with Magus and the rest that have old pronounciations. I'm the only one I know - save for my father - who looks at names like that. And by the way, Augustus wasn't his name either - Augustus means 'revered', and was a name given to him by the Senate. His name was Octavius, or something near. But you probably know that, considering that you seem to know the rest of his name and all. But, actually, I do attempt correct pronounciations. The only reason I do say it 'Julius' rather than 'Iulius' is because I don't want to confuse the person I'm speaking to: if they knew it, I might well do it. I do, after all, make it a common point to explain to people that Caesar is not 'See-zer' but 'Kai-sehr'.

MitchelHunt

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2005, 04:00:55 am »
Quote from: Lord J esq
Quote from: Aitrus

I think he's saying that it is pedantic to use a Latin-spelled pronunciation on an English-spelled word.

little fact: "J" was the last letter added to the alphabetet :D

Anyway, thank you all for the name pronounciations. It will be hard to choose since everyone has they're own opinions, but I think I'll go with these:

Belthasar: Bel-thuh-sar
Nu: Noo
Melchior: Mel-key-ore
Magus: Ma-giss
Ayla: Eye-luh
Schala: Shaw-luh
Marle: Marl
Lucca: Loo-kuh
Crono: Like Chrono (Kro-Noe)
Janus: Jay-niss

Any objections to the pronounciations im chosing?

By the way, how do you pronounce Lavos? Is it Law-vose?

Luminaire85

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Cinema
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2005, 01:46:30 pm »
No objections from me, though it will be hard for me to stop saying LUCK-ah.

That's how I say Lavos. I suppose you could also pronounce it LAY-vose, but LAW-vose sounds more sinister to me.