Author Topic: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.  (Read 23114 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: The interesting and informative links and resources thread.
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2011, 02:45:59 am »
Planned Solar Thermal Power Plant Projects Besieged by Environmentalists and Native Americans

Solar thermal power plants use parabolic mirrors to focus incredible amounts of solar energy on narrow tubes of liquid. The liquid becomes superheated and is used to boil water, creating steam that turns generator turbines and produces electricity. This is in contrast to solar photovoltaic power plants (and solar "panels" as you know them), which uses special materials to generate electricity directly from sunlight.

The New York Times article highlights a growing trend of environmentalist opposition to solar power, with Native American opposition thrown in for good measure. That raises an important question: Where the hell are we supposed to get our electrical power from?

Ten years ago, market dynamics were such, and the composition of the government was such, that the nascent solar thermal power plant industry had been stagnated for decades, with no new construction and only limited existing plants. Coal and especially natural gas were more profitable at the time, and the technologies for those kinds of power plants were mature and cost effective.

That changed over the decade, and suddenly the industry revived. Huge new solar power plants were going to be built, lending critical new generating capacity to California and the Western Power Grid generally. Vast tracts of open desert land were ripe for development, and it is already technologically plausible that we could achieve all of our power needs in the west through the construction solar power plant stations. I don't even mean all new needs; I mean we could shut down every other power generating plant and machine in the West and run only on solar power. It would be expensive, but the technology to do it already exists, an would become cheaper with maturation and economies of scale. The land and resources are also available. Water would be the limiting factor, and we could fix that with minor reductions to the agricultural water supply, or new waterworks projects.

Solar power is as green as energy production can get. The makeup of a solar power plant is stuff like glass and metal. There is no fossil fuel required except that to carry out the mining and refining operations to build the plant. Greenhouse gas emissions would be limited to the water steam that escapes the plant, and that could be recaptured if desired.

Also, the amount of empty land there is hard to appreciate unless you have seen it in person. Can you spot the solar power plants in this picture? The complaints about threats to wildlife are almost completely bogus. The most sensitive areas can be avoided for development. Solar power stations can be interspersed with areas of empty land. There's plenty of it.

This is a clear case of calcification in the environmentalist lobby; these people know nothing else than to oppose construction projects. Given the alternatives of more fossil fuel power plants, and their beloved nuclear fission power plants, I am aghast that environmentalists are suing to prevent these solar plants from being built. And, so far, they're winning. That, I think, is an artifact of environmentalist excess in the State of California.

The Native American opposition is one of opportunism. Money and land is at stake, and the tribes want their cut. They could be afforded their fair share. They could even be invited into the development process. In any case, this opposition is less significant than the environmentalist opposition.

I grew up in the Mojave Desert and have seen one of these power plants from the inside. This, along with nuclear fission power and to a lesser extent hydroelectric power, is the primary baseload answer to our power generation needs in the aftermath of the coal era. These plants are more efficient in both land and cost than solar photovoltaic plants, and they can be any size. They can be built to produce electricity with the cycle of the sun, thus paralleling the peak afternoon electrical demand which is a big deal in California. Or they can be built to produce electricity around the clock, through the use of heat reservoirs that introduce inefficiencies but are reliable enough to be practical.

I am aghast that environmentalists are not the number one supporters of these projects. As an environmentalist myself, I condemn, reject, and denounce their narrow-mindedness.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »
Planned Solar Thermal Power Plant Projects Besieged by Environmentalists and Native Americans

Solar thermal power plants use parabolic mirrors to focus incredible amounts of solar energy on narrow tubes of liquid. The liquid becomes superheated and is used to boil water, creating steam that turns generator turbines and produces electricity. This is in contrast to solar photovoltaic power plants (and solar "panels" as you know them), which uses special materials to generate electricity directly from sunlight.

The New York Times article highlights a growing trend of environmentalist opposition to solar power, with Native American opposition thrown in for good measure. That raises an important question: Where the hell are we supposed to get our electrical power from?

Ten years ago, market dynamics were such, and the composition of the government was such, that the nascent solar thermal power plant industry had been stagnated for decades, with no new construction and only limited existing plants. Coal and especially natural gas were more profitable at the time, and the technologies for those kinds of power plants were mature and cost effective.

That changed over the decade, and suddenly the industry revived. Huge new solar power plants were going to be built, lending critical new generating capacity to California and the Western Power Grid generally. Vast tracts of open desert land were ripe for development, and it is already technologically plausible that we could achieve all of our power needs in the west through the construction solar power plant stations. I don't even mean all new needs; I mean we could shut down every other power generating plant and machine in the West and run only on solar power. It would be expensive, but the technology to do it already exists, an would become cheaper with maturation and economies of scale. The land and resources are also available. Water would be the limiting factor, and we could fix that with minor reductions to the agricultural water supply, or new waterworks projects.

Solar power is as green as energy production can get. The makeup of a solar power plant is stuff like glass and metal. There is no fossil fuel required except that to carry out the mining and refining operations to build the plant. Greenhouse gas emissions would be limited to the water steam that escapes the plant, and that could be recaptured if desired.

Also, the amount of empty land there is hard to appreciate unless you have seen it in person. Can you spot the solar power plants in this picture? The complaints about threats to wildlife are almost completely bogus. The most sensitive areas can be avoided for development. Solar power stations can be interspersed with areas of empty land. There's plenty of it.

This is a clear case of calcification in the environmentalist lobby; these people know nothing else than to oppose construction projects. Given the alternatives of more fossil fuel power plants, and their beloved nuclear fission power plants, I am aghast that environmentalists are suing to prevent these solar plants from being built. And, so far, they're winning. That, I think, is an artifact of environmentalist excess in the State of California.

The Native American opposition is one of opportunism. Money and land is at stake, and the tribes want their cut. They could be afforded their fair share. They could even be invited into the development process. In any case, this opposition is less significant than the environmentalist opposition.

I grew up in the Mojave Desert and have seen one of these power plants from the inside. This, along with nuclear fission power and to a lesser extent hydroelectric power, is the primary baseload answer to our power generation needs in the aftermath of the coal era. These plants are more efficient in both land and cost than solar photovoltaic plants, and they can be any size. They can be built to produce electricity with the cycle of the sun, thus paralleling the peak afternoon electrical demand which is a big deal in California. Or they can be built to produce electricity around the clock, through the use of heat reservoirs that introduce inefficiencies but are reliable enough to be practical.

I am aghast that environmentalists are not the number one supporters of these projects. As an environmentalist myself, I condemn, reject, and denounce their narrow-mindedness.

This is pretty shocking. You just can't win with some people. It's like they can't see the big picture.

At this rate, we'll be engulfed in a world-wide nuclear conflict over the remaining fossil fuel resources before we ever reach any sort of energy independence through nuclear power or renewable energy sources, especially since our food production mostly relies on heavy fossil fuel usage.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2011, 11:38:31 am »
Supermoon, folks! Supermoon!

Also, Dalai Lama steps down. China thinks its a trick.

Another useful thing (for me, anywhos). Spending time at the Compendium has taught me a lot (and I really mean A LOT!!), which most forums often don't, I guess. Recently I learned a phrase called "One-Up you" exists on the internet.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2011, 12:26:00 pm »

http://www.cracked.com/blog/chrono-trigger-2-benders-time-trippers-balls/

I thought it was interesting, albeit not informative. Maybe this thread needs to be changed to "The interesting and/or informative links and resources thread."  :lol:

Yep. I got a laugh out of it.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2011, 05:23:44 pm »
I found this study on gendered responses to offers of casual sex, and it's just awesome.

http://www.miller-mccune.com/culture-society/casual-sex-men-women-not-so-different-after-all-28451/

I love this link for two reasons:
1. It supports the Pleasure Theory, which proposes that human beings are motivated by pleasure and biology tends to take care of itself in the process --- opposed to the "just so" stories of evolutionary psychology, which try to codify human behavior according to abstract motivations based on natural selection. (Full Disclosure: I really loathe evolutionary psychology. I think it is sloppy science and more often than not used to justify personal bias. It is a raving leviathan of a pet peeve, however, so I may be overlooking something in my zeal to KILL IT DEAD.)
2. It demolishes long-held stereotypes based on gender. Always fun to see that happen! And it demolishes these stereotypes by pointing out the very obvious fact that we are still dealing with plenty of entrenched sexism. The conclusions of this study, if correct, put a lot of the problems of sexuality in a hopeful light: they are largely cultural, and as such fixable.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2011, 09:01:01 pm »
That is a fascinating development, Syna. It undermines an almost universally held belief in this society that males want attractive bodies while females want powerful providers--a maddening dichotomy that I have always met with suspicion. On the other hand, I find myself so enthusiastic to support these new study findings that I think some skepticism in that direction is warranted too. I would like to see more research into the matter. And the end of the article provides some good caveats for starters.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 18, 2011, 03:09:37 pm »
Yeah, we definitely need to treat those overjoyed/outraged reactions with some wariness, to say nothing of such controversial subject matter. Case in point: I'm amazed at how many people in the comments were bending over backwards to support the Sexual Strategies Theory, but I'm always amazed at how certain people cling to evo-psych for dear life.

Here's a link that breaks down the study in even more detail, with some good commentary: http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com/2011/03/03/gender-differences-and-casual-sex-the-new-research/

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2011, 05:46:12 pm »
In some ways, this might equally have gone in the sexism thread. I found it simultaneously interesting and hopeful (and was a bit disgusted at the idiot who set the whole thing off, but you can't have everything): http://www.nomorelost.org/2011/03/25/straight-male-gamer-told-to-get-over-it-by-bioware/

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2011, 08:45:52 pm »
That is 96 kinds of awesome.

Syna

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 28, 2011, 01:20:34 am »
Yes, David Gaider is all kinds of sheer awesome. It helps that he is also a good writer and can execute his socially conscious ideas artfully in his stories!

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 29, 2011, 02:09:10 pm »

http://theoatmeal.com/

Interesting? Oh, yes.

Informative? Depends on what information you seek after.

I personally recommend How to tell if your cat if plotting to kill you for all the Compendiumites who own cats.

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #131 on: March 29, 2011, 03:51:16 pm »

I personally recommend How to tell if your cat if plotting to kill you for all the Compendiumites who own cats.

I knew it! Cats are evil! Now I'm happy I'm a dog person  :lol:

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2011, 01:46:48 am »

Well that explains a lot about my cats.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2011, 07:40:34 pm »

http://theoatmeal.com/

Interesting? Oh, yes.

Informative? Depends on what information you seek after.

Ah, The Oat Meal! It's been a long time since I checked the site out.

To most people who are confused: don't worry, it's comical, not factual.