Author Topic: So, the Dragon Ball movie...  (Read 8907 times)

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Re: So, the Dragon Ball movie...
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2009, 11:24:46 pm »
Just you wait until they came with sequels with crappy looking Frieza's and Cell's... *gasp* Hollywood's image of Majin Buu would be so horrible, yet I would still watch it. :lol:

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2009, 02:12:10 am »
Each segment of Dragonball (each time Goku & Co. grow up) should have its own movie. Chrono Trigger wouldn't work as a singular movie either (& it should be turned into a manga & anime first anyways!)...I won't judge this movie too harshly before seeing it, but I don't understand the licensing of something if you're not actually going to follow the source material you just bought...It just sounds like so much Hollywood producer BS and that never makes anything better.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2009, 04:39:50 am »
It's an adaptation. There would be no point in making the same thing all over again. Superman and co. have tons of different incarnations in different comics, cartoons, movies, etc. There's no reason DB can't have different versions either. It's not like people read or watched DB for the "awesome story" anyway.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2009, 05:46:57 am »
I liked the story of Dragonball (I don't include GT in the canon though since Toriyama didn't really have anything to do with it). I never really liked Superman though, which is kind of funny because Goku & Kal-El kind of share similar origins...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 05:50:04 am by V_Translanka »

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2009, 05:58:23 am »
Part of me has a strong suspicion that it won't be any good.  However I'm keeping my final judgement on hold until I actually have a chance to see it.

I am interested in that they're going the path of focusing on Goku vs. Piccolo in this, rather than take the story from the Z arc with Frieza or Cell.  That said, there's a chance it could be a decent adaptation, if done right.

This coming from a huge fan of the original anime/manga.

The whole live action rendition of a cartoon runs along the lines of video game movies, and I've given most a chance, with some paying off.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 1 & 2 = Wonderful
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3 = Rage...
Street Fighter = So bad it was rediculously entertaining.
Super Mario Bros = So bad it was bad.
Mortal Kombat = Pretty good.
Mortal Kombat Annihalation = Pretty awful.
Resident Evil (All of them) = Good.
Max Payne = Great.
Dead or Alive = Franchise butchering.
Transformers = Awesome!

So yeah, I'll give this one a chance.  If I can sit though Mario Bros I can sit through this.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2009, 08:17:52 am »
xD I prefer Dragonball Manga over anime any day, mostly because I'm addicted to its humor. >Pat pat<

My reviews on the movie:
I've just seen the trailer, and it seems quite good! Though very little similarities compared to the original stories. You know how much they bend the stories in live action, right? xD This one's a bit too much. According to my research, this movie was supposed to be something more of an action packed films like Matrix so the majority of the audience could enjoy. And indeed, those people who HAVEN'T watched/read the original Dragonball or Dragonball Z kinda like the movie, whereas most people who LOVE the old DB/DBZ kinda... despise this movie. Still, I tend to keep an open mind and I'm gonna watch this movie and see for myself how good it really is. >w< And hey, this was the movie people have been all hyped about for over a decade now!

Hey, FauCapitan, you forgot some more Live Actions!  :lol: Detective Conan? DeathNote? Prince of Tennis? Hahaha!

Edit: For those who love still love the old anime DBZ movies
xD I bet you haven't seen this! I watched this as soon as it arrived!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball:_Yo!_Son_Goku_and_His_Friends_Return!!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 08:24:02 am by tushantin »

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2009, 08:25:38 am »
(why buy the rights to something if you actually want to make something completely different?)

*cough*BETHESDA*cough*FALLOUT
ez $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2009, 08:47:20 am »
TMNT was a comic book first (and was best there). Ninjas should actually use their weapons against their enemies, not do something stupid like jam them into the ceiling so they can kick someone. At least the last (CG) animated movie was ok.

Transformers was a cartoon, not a video game (though there were a few awful video games made from it)...and I didn't think Micheal Bay did all that hot of a job besides making the Transformers look cool (no Soundwave!? FOR SHAME!!)...It was too focused on the humans. Last I checked, the title of the movie wasn't "Some Stupid Ass Kids Who Meet the Transformers One Day".

No Mortal Kombat movie was "pretty good"...

Only the first Resident Evil was really worth watching. The rest was bleh and also had next to nothing to do with the series as far as I can tell. At least Capcom stepped up now & made a decent-looking (CG) animated movie (they've been pretty good about making animated movies based on their franchises actually).

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2009, 09:01:52 am »
And since all of those items [except the RE movie] you mentioned were a part of my youth, they all have a special spot in my heart ...even the mortal kombat movies, which were pretty good.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2009, 09:30:20 am »
Transformers was a cartoon, not a video game (though there were a few awful video games made from it)...and I didn't think Micheal Bay did all that hot of a job besides making the Transformers look cool (no Soundwave!? FOR SHAME!!)...It was too focused on the humans. Last I checked, the title of the movie wasn't "Some Stupid Ass Kids Who Meet the Transformers One Day".

The lack of Transformers was actually due to budget.  Already the movie was crazy expensive, and you know how much just one second of CGI cost for that movie?  Tons.  But seeing that the first film was hugely successful, they got a bigger budget for the sequel and will be including more robots this time around.  More of them, more screentime for them, and more vital to the story.

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2009, 02:14:30 pm »
Transformers was a cartoon, not a video game (though there were a few awful video games made from it)...and I didn't think Micheal Bay did all that hot of a job besides making the Transformers look cool (no Soundwave!? FOR SHAME!!)

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_2#Decepticons
Soundwave, Megatron's communications expert and his most loyal soldier.[1] He transforms into Cybertronian craft with jet and satellite capabilities.[73] The concept artists also designed an Earth form of a Chevrolet Silverado for him to upgrade into, which Orci stated was dropped.[76] In the 1980s toyline, Soundwave was a tape deck. The filmmakers had tried to work him into the first film twice, and these roles eventually evolved into Blackout (a MH-53 Pave Low helicopter) and Frenzy (who changed into a CD Player and later into a mobile phone). The latter character was particularly thought to be too different from the original.[77][78] Soundwave made his first appearance in the Transformers: Alliance prequel comic book series arriving on Mars then sending a large number of Decepticon protoform troops to Earth.[79]

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2009, 05:22:40 pm »
Pyt beat me to it, but yeah V, Soundwave will be in the upcoming sequel.

The Transformers movie wasn't meant for just the hardcore fans.  It was meant to introduce more people into the franchise.  In doing so, they gradually brought the viewers from a world they were familiar with (Teen lifestyles, current wars, etc.) into the world they weren't (Climaxing in the final battle with the Decepticons).  If they had just rushed into the fights between Autobots and Decepticons right off the bat and not explained the reasons for them being on Earth and contacting the Whitwickey family, it would have come off as, well, rushed.

I agree that there should have been a bit more focus on the Transformers themselves overall, especially when some characters recieved next to no development at all.  (Goodbye Jazz, we hardly knew you...  Seriously!)

But for all that people like to nitpick about the movie, I like to concentrate on what was done right.  Voice actors, visual effects, real actors, storyline, action, etc.  All done great.

Transformers was a cartoon, not a video game
I was listing all adaptation movies in memory that I'd seen.  This includes cartoon>live action and video game>live action.  Left off direct comic book to live action movies, since that's almost a genre in itself now.

No Mortal Kombat movie was "pretty good"...
The first one was all right.  A bit corny, and several bits could have been done better, but it was one of the first video game movies that didn't give a majority of the audience the sour taste of bile in their mouths.

ONSLAUGHT

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Crono + Panda = WTF Run!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2009, 05:39:11 pm »
Everybody quit your bitching, it going to be an entertaining movie just not the EXACT same.
I have every right to bitch! :lol:
But being serious, I complain mainly for the reason that's the same as the Final Fantasy movie(not advent). It's FANTASY and FICTIONAL. The main purpose behind the whole thing(and most stuff like this)is to take the viewer on an escape from reality. And it sounds more and more like they're aiming for realistic instead of fantasy. Yes, it might be entertaining, just not for a DB movie. That's my complaint. I'm not whining about being bad overall. What I complain about is that when you label it with the title of a series, you should try to stick to the series, not do something completely different. They gotta see all this hate coming their way.
Generally it's true that "don't mock it unless you can do better", but in the case of media like music and movies and games and such, that's what they're made for. Opinion and criticism(the better theirs is the more $). Can't win em all and this seems to be a miss. Hopefully they can pull some real good acting to make up for it(but from the style it looks like it'll have, I'm not sure that's gonna happen)cause I'm not seeing any "killer" action in it, nothing special and creative.

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2009, 06:33:16 pm »
Personally I've been watching Gundam00 and I honestly see this to be a great movie series. They just need some editing and careful casting. The first one would be all about action and introducing story and characters. But overall, anime could easily be transferred if done correctly. The problem is any of them that have depth or are good can't be transferred in a single movie and Americans(for one reason or another) are dumb as hell at making movies like that. The best one is Starwars, which I thought was not that good as a whole. But I liked number six. Otherwise most movie sequels don't connect.

Fireseal

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2009, 05:41:49 pm »
I hope they won't mention the word 'saiyan' in this movie, if it is mentioned, people will expect Goku's hair to light up and almost take him 30 mins - 1 hour for him to become super saiyan. I seriously lol'd in alot DBZ because I found characters took too long to 'power up'. Just to see that in a live action movie would be very... awkward.  :picardno