Author Topic: chrono comunity numbers  (Read 5801 times)

Daniel Krispin

chrono comunity numbers
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 12:50:54 am »
Drove away Wisp? Nah, I don't think so. I apologised if there was anything negative said in my post, and merely attempted to defend a logical assertion. Moreover, I really do not think that Wisp left on bad terms: Radical Dreamer seems to be the only one holding a grudge in that respect, and it appears that they are from the CS forums in origin, so it carries from there. Personally, though, it seemed to me as though Wisp came to defend her forums (her? I thought I read that somewhere, but I can't be sure. Apologies if I'm wrong.) That done, she left. Perfectly reasonable.

Furthermore, I apologise for what my comments earlier in the thread may have begun. They were meant chiefly as support for ZeaLitY - as it seemd that he was a little unnerved over the chance that the Compendium was not unique, as I think he intends it to be - but not to enflame anything between forums. I rather meant only to say that, from what I superficially judged, there was nothing akin to the forums and threads on specific issues such as we have here, but perhaps used the wrong words. Sufficed to say, I actually have nothing against their forums at all, and the term rivalry was used half in jest (though it seems to have been misconstrued), and half from the impression that CS was the nearest thing existing to the Compendium in volume of information, thus making it a rival to some extent, at least in so far as being the ultimate repository of Chrono knowledge on the net.

Oh, and I just went over to the CS forums and apologised for any offence they may have taken to what I said, in an effort to repair any damaged relations.

Radical Dreamer

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
chrono comunity numbers
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2005, 09:42:48 am »
Quote from: Wisp
I'm sorry I intruded upon your little community.

Am I the *only* one who noticed her sarcasm and arrogance?

Personally, I shall not miss her.

Everyone here seems to be nice and we're all getting along pretty well.
So I rather it stay that way than having people like her around.

And anyway, I don't know if she was here to "defend CS" or just advertise it and bash Chrono Compendium because it's "smaller" than CS (according to her).

As for CS, sadly, people like her (Wisp) and Magus (another mod. at CS) makes CS very unpleasent. So I'm not attacking CS as a community, but just the mods who act like a$$#$3s.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
chrono comunity numbers
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2005, 01:51:09 pm »
So attack their mods there.  We don't want a harsh relation ships with another site because you have something agianst their mods.

Radical Dreamer

• Porrean (+50)
  • Radical Dreamer
    • View Profile
chrono comunity numbers
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2005, 02:51:37 pm »
She's the one who came here....  
CS is defintly out of my territory.

Anyway, she left - end of story on my side.

Anyway, I think we should drop this.
No point in discussing this anymore.

saridon

• Mystical Knight (+700)
  • eater of cows and small fuzzy animals since 1991
    • View Profile
chrono comunity numbers
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2005, 12:17:38 pm »
Quote from: Radical Dreamer
She's the one who came here....  
CS is defintly out of my territory.

Anyway, she left - end of story on my side.

Anyway, I think we should drop this.
No point in discussing this anymore.

this thread did start with somthing completely different anyway it just... evolved it to that disscusion but it should be dropped and personally i have nothing against CS of thier moderators or admins

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
chrono comunity numbers
« Reply #50 on: July 06, 2005, 01:28:05 am »
Well, I personally don't want to ever have to moderate something. Awhile ago I realized that I truly was in charge of this site, and that I have the power to maintain enlightened policies. Locking a thread, even if it is completely irrelevant or disproven, is still sort of overbearing, entrenched in that vein that other sites uphold (if you've ever posted in a thread a few months old in any other forum (not just talking about Chrono) and have been flamed for bringing up dead topics, this is what I mean). The Compendium's truly unique because we started with absolutely nothing but four or five musketeers (Ybrik, me, JustinS1985, Ramsus, Radical_Dreamer, Aitrus, others) on a gaming forum and decided that the Chrono series had way too much depth to just be coincidence, and sought to archive our discussion. Since we started writing new content and building things without simply hoarding other data, the site was given a chance to develop its own face, taste, and feel. Chronoshock definitely had such a feel of its own, as does Chronicles and others (as opposed to fanpages that simply post data or pictures).

It was only later that I realized the Compendium was such an interesting institution and that there was so much material and depth to cover that I threw out the idea of being the "best at everything," or at least maintaining a complete database of information and all the analysis we could get. While I would have never tried something like that on my own, since 2003 we've been developing a steady community of regulars and users who have tirelessly discussed things to death (tirelessly; five of the articles we have up right now need to be revised due to new analysis, even!). An incredible task, yes, the encyclopedia is in fact not that daunting and analysis, as I said before, is supported by the many cherished people here. As we've finally got the foundation in place, even though it is not complete, we've been able to expand even more in the direction of maintaining this site as a vessel for Chrono series fandom and a complete resource (my ambitious exclamations aside). Features, an upcoming column, fanfiction -- they're all planned to be here, and we're sitting on a goldmine of potential.

But as several have noticed, starting out from scratch also ensured I had a total underdog attitude. Back then, we had our neat analysis and little else, and I was determined to use that analysis to make us distinct. I honestly was disgusted with Letrimh's website, because it already presented analysis and discussion with no other content (the original Compendium idea). And Chronoshock -- I really disliked it, simply because it had a flashy layout and organized CT content; when version 2 debuted, I honestly thought the game was somewhat lost for awhile. But these things have all passed. I've got my ambitions for the Compendium, and that is enough. Ramsus has given us a killer aesthetic and maintenance that can only be dreamt of by some, and the site has achieved an excellent level of organization. The time has come to make affiliates; if they do not wish to link, their loss, but we shall press ahead and be fine with everyone else. I still have that attitude of "whoa, they have....this amazing, unique content. How can we counter this with our own original material?", but now that the site is fully organized and is growing by the minute (man, a bunch of people registered while I was away), things can be dealt with professionally, collectively, and coolly. The dream stands; anyone who thinks otherwise can check the Long-Term Goals thread in the Chrono Compendium Discussion forum. This website aims to be it concerning the Chrono series, and to other site maintainers who seek the same goal, game on! And be warned, the Compendium carries a certain unquenchable zeal about its work...

And lastly, thank you Daniel for the observation about the discussion. I do want to keep every thread and subject open forever, for anyone to make a claim in. Only when discussion degenerates to personal attacks and belittling of intelligence will intervention be undertaken, and as can be observed, that's hardly ever happened. We have had huge clashes and debates, and more to come (looking at your comprehensive Space-Time theory, Josh), but as long as we can maintain that level of intelligence and well manners, the sky is the limit. No article is set in stone, and neither is any Encyclopedia entry. The links page awaits entrants and fan pages for mutual support in this quest to be. And obsessive? A hobby's a hobby!

Now, in the words of that OCR dude that Ybrik and I remember fondly:

join me my chrono brohters