Author Topic: The Imus Nonsense  (Read 7295 times)

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
Re: The Imus Nonsense
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2007, 11:38:32 pm »
My favourite work of political philosophy is Crash.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2007, 12:06:48 am »
I consider myself a liberal in the grand tradition of liberalism ;p  Like John Stuart Mill's essay On Liberty.  That's my favorite work of political philosophy.

Ooh! My favorite work of political philosophy is probably The Evil Overlord List, Peter Anspach's great twentieth century code of laws and strategies pertaining to the success of villains. Widely accepted to be the greatest human writing since The Bible, and recognized by an increasing number of scholars to be the single greatest human writing of all time, Anspach's practical list at once exceeds the evildoer's mundane tactics of mass destruction or world conquest, and rather goes on an exploration of the quandaries of human nature by whose presuppositions we perspectively engage our surroundings with such villainous intent. A child could read the List, but only a world-crushing fiend could master it.

It is a great list. I even e-mailed some suggestion of my own, but by that time all the lists were complete. I did get a reply from Anspach though. That was quite nice. And Kyronea, I have posted a link to information, freely available, on the fair tax. Have at it.

Joe000

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2007, 03:49:49 am »
Screw you guys, I was being serious ;p

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2007, 03:51:51 am »
I'm an Airman, and in the Air Force we're actually expected to think and pay attention to detail, in addition to getting things done.

Despite the training, I'm still highly critical of everything I encounter. It's just that I have enough willpower to consistently do the right thing without being conditioned into it though -- one just has to maintain a flexible state of mind. When I'm expected to act, I know how put the bullshit aside, make a decision, and get things done by making conscious choices.

Ah, my mistake. Nice to see an Airman...I was in an Air Force ROTC for a while, but the Major in charge felt I was just too indepedent a person for the military(or else I'd be enrolling in the Air Force Academy right now.) I suppose I should point out that with my Marine comment I was mainly referring to the common misconception that military officers and enlisted men can't think for themselves, and not actually trying to imply you can't, since obviously you can.

I do want to apologize again, Ramsus, for any offense I've given you. I've been a fool and an idiot, and I really am sorry.

Ramsus

« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2007, 10:58:04 am »
I'm an Airman, and in the Air Force we're actually expected to think and pay attention to detail, in addition to getting things done.

Despite the training, I'm still highly critical of everything I encounter. It's just that I have enough willpower to consistently do the right thing without being conditioned into it though -- one just has to maintain a flexible state of mind. When I'm expected to act, I know how put the bullshit aside, make a decision, and get things done by making conscious choices.

Ah, my mistake. Nice to see an Airman...I was in an Air Force ROTC for a while, but the Major in charge felt I was just too indepedent a person for the military(or else I'd be enrolling in the Air Force Academy right now.) I suppose I should point out that with my Marine comment I was mainly referring to the common misconception that military officers and enlisted men can't think for themselves, and not actually trying to imply you can't, since obviously you can.

I do want to apologize again, Ramsus, for any offense I've given you. I've been a fool and an idiot, and I really am sorry.

If you go through life apologizing for every minor little offense you may have caused, you'll have wasted that many words.

I don't care what you were referring to or trying to say. I don't care much what you've said either. Instead of apologizing to me, learn to avoid saying things you apparently feel like regretting.

Beeyo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2007, 11:27:58 am »
Ok, 1st off, Imus is a known racist and has relayed bigoted opinions many times on both his television and radio programs. Honestly, he's said worse things, but that doesn't make what he said right. He basically said Rutgers team was uglier than the other team because they were black. Didn't just call em hoes, called em nappy headed. That's a decidedly racist term for a white man in his 60s to call someone. And he can't blame it on hip hop music, cuz he probly can't name one rapper. If a white commentator had called a team of white girls a bunch of pasty faced no butt bitches on live broadcast, I'm sure some old white republican somewhere would be calling for his head, cuz that is not right.
   Now I'll admit this is being blown out of proportion, cuz he is a shock jock and its kind his job to say ignorant stuff to piss people off. He just pissed off the wrong group of people this time.
    And as far as Sharpton goes, yea he is a media hound. But at least when things like the Sean Bell shooting happens, he's in the street with us. At least he's there with the people. Can't say that for 99% of politicians.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2007, 11:59:50 am »
Quote from: Ramsus
If you go through life apologizing for every minor little offense you may have caused, you'll have wasted that many words.

I don't care what you were referring to or trying to say. I don't care much what you've said either. Instead of apologizing to me, learn to avoid saying things you apparently feel like regretting.
Words I try to live by everyday, Ramsus...and as always, sound advice. I do have much to learn, certainly.

I do not regret apologizing, however...I hate it when I offend anyone, and even if the person took no offense I still apologize because it is the right thing to do...it's a way of ensuring...tolorance, respect, and lasting...aquaintences.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2007, 08:22:43 pm »
Sharpton is targeting rappers now, so yay!

Beeyo

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2007, 10:34:25 pm »
Sharpton says he's going after rappers so it doesn't seem like he's letting anyone off the hook on this "ho" buisness. It's like Bush saying he's going after Bin Laden, sounds nice for the public but its not really gonna happen. Besides, why "yay!"? Rap has nothing to do with Imus.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2007, 11:24:48 pm »
The perceived issue is the element of hypocrisy. Sharpton has said that "ho" cannot be commercialized in a mass market, yet this has been the case for years in the music industry. So I was desiring that Sharpton not limit his comments to Imus.

Nonetheless, the entire 'culture police' issue is a different problem and I won't get into it here.