Author Topic: Of shiny and machines  (Read 1125 times)

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
  • "Reality is irrelevant; Perception is everything."
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Of shiny and machines
« on: May 02, 2008, 05:27:31 pm »
When the Telepod was first activated, and Marle's pendant reacted to it, thus causing the Gate to open and send her from 1000 AD to 600 AD, only she was gated.  Her pendant stayed behind.  Any theories on how she lost it, but Crono was able to gate and keep the pendant?

Just a random thought.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Re: Of shiny and machines
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 05:50:36 pm »
There's a thread for this somewhere...  But seeing as how our threads sometimes start somewhere and end up somewhere else, no telling where it's at...

Anywho, my PERSONAL belief is that Doreen might be an avatar associated with the pendant (just like Masa and Mune are avatars associated with the Masamune sword).  Perhaps, then, Doreen was able to 'unlatch' the pendant when Marle got sucked through, allowing the pendant to remain behind (and effectively choosing Crono as a savior).

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 06:05:44 pm »
Thanks for being Johnny On the Spot with the link, BROJ.

Deviant, that thread has a lot of discussion on this very topic. To sum it up, the conclusion of that thread thus far is that the Pendant actually is what choose to stay behind. She didn't drop it, it wasn't some fluke of the transportation process, but a concious choice. This is concluded from other instances in the game where the pendant most certainly acts under its own power.

Of course, this isn't the only possible theory (and I am not sure if it can even be claimed to be the official stance of the Compendium). That is just what we have so far, so feel free to join in on the discussion.

As a side note, some people identify the conciousness behind the pendant as Doreen or the Entity. I think where we left off, such interpretations were possibly but not as strongly supported by the evidence.

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 06:07:31 pm »
I knew there had to be a thread for it, but I couldn't find it.

Yeah I always thought Doreen/Entity manipulated it.  Crono and Marle might not have gone on their date had they not ran into each other and she dropped the pendant.  By Marle getting lost in time, Crono's instinct is to find her.  He would need the pendant to do this.  It seems someone saw this coming.

Thanks for the link.  And I would say lock this thread so we can go with that one, but it's like 2 months old, and the discussion has turned to robots?  Mods, your choice.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 06:25:53 pm »
I knew there had to be a thread for it, but I couldn't find it.

Yeah I always thought Doreen/Entity manipulated it.  Crono and Marle might not have gone on their date had they not ran into each other and she dropped the pendant.  By Marle getting lost in time, Crono's instinct is to find her.  He would need the pendant to do this.  It seems someone saw this coming.

Thanks for the link.  And I would say lock this thread so we can go with that one, but it's like 2 months old, and the discussion has turned to robots?  Mods, your choice.
Go ahead and revive the thread--Thread Necromancy is Perfectly Okay.

deviant_ambition

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 05:18:20 am »
Go ahead and revive the thread--Thread Necromancy is Perfectly Okay.
Oh yes, I am quite aware.  Such is the nature of things.  Request to merge/lock?

There ya go then, I guess...
      ~V_Translanka

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 06:35:47 am by V_Translanka »