Author Topic: Crono Returns: The RPG  (Read 1651 times)

ProtomanX904

• Earthbound (+15)
  • TINY MINISKIRTS!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
Crono Returns: The RPG
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:30:15 am »

Working title screen; likely to change later

Crono Returns is a dark-toned sequel to Chrono Trigger that ignores Chrono Cross and, well, everything besides the original SNES version of the game. It is being made with RPG Maker VX and the target completion date is December 21st of this year.

For those of you would who like Crono to stay a silent protagonist, don't hop into this game expecting him to be mute like in the first game. Also, for all of you Fritz fans (Yes, all 5 of you- well, more like 4 since I'm one of them), feel free to do a victory dance on the spot since he has been promoted from NPC to a main character in this game.

It is based off of my fanfiction of the same name, which can be found here: http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,9957.0.html

Although the first arc follows the story of the original fanfiction accurately (The first 8 chapters of it to be precise), the 2nd and 3rd arcs of this game are written by Legendary Biologist (The writer of Chrono fanfictions such as "In Search of the Past"), and needless to say she has a MUCH different take on what happens after the chapter "Masamune of Darkness" than I do.

Since the plot of this game differs heavily from that of the fanfiction's, playing the game first will not spoil the fanfiction for you and vice versa.

The preparation of Marle and Lucca's dual tech "antipode". Notice that all of the sprites are custom made and not ripped from Chrono Trigger; in case you weren't aware, Chrono Trigger sprite sheets don't translate well to RPG Maker VX. I also decided to use RTP tilesets rather than ones from the SNES game for various reasons.

THE GREEN DREAM TEAM:
EliroX904/ProtomanX904: Main developer
Legendary_Biologist: Writer
More members to come? Perhaps eventually.

Features:

-A plot that follows Crono Returns for the first 8 chapter before branching off to its own storyline (Much like the original Fullmetal Alchemist or Soul Eater).

-A battle system which emulates that of the SNES game's, with dual techs included.

-Remixed music from Chrono Trigger,   Final Fantasy, Terranigma, and more.

-RPG Maker VX graphics are used rather than ones ripped from the SNES game. Your favorite time travellers are now in RPG Maker VX style!

-Non-linear with plenty of side-quests and different endings.

-No level-grinding required, just like the original.

-Contains homages to works besides the Chrono series, the most obvious being Batman (Hell, the title and cover art were inspired by Frank Miller's "Dark Knight Returns").

Here is the main page for the game on RPG Maker.net: http://rpgmaker.net/games/5033/

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Crono Returns: The RPG
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 07:22:09 am »
Sweet! I'll give it a go.

Hopefully it runs well via Wine on Ubuntu?

EDIT: Whoops! Looks like no downloads yet...
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:24:27 am by tushantin »

ProtomanX904

• Earthbound (+15)
  • TINY MINISKIRTS!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 06:56:05 pm »
Nope, but the target completion date is December, so stay tuned :)

Schala Zeal

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • 7th Elemental Innate, and vtuber
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:40:53 pm »
I'd love to do personal projects but.... something in my life has really..... filled me with pain recently.

EgyLynx

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 06:38:04 am »
 :oops: humble and peaceloving nu ask demo?

SorcerorX

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 10:49:46 am »
hey I'm new to these discussion boards.
sounds like a great idea
there aren't many time-travel media things that are popular, and chrono was a classic
I did see something in a gaming magazine about developers releasing games on old systems.
Like a game called 'Pier Solar' (not sure of name have to check on that)? they use crowdfunding and had to release on a genesis cartridge or something like that
sounds like a cool idea though. maybe it can be downloadable for ps3! w00t
well good luck with your endeavor
-sorcererx

:bison