Author Topic: Smart Time  (Read 4435 times)

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: Smart Time
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 07:01:26 pm »
After reading Mr Bekkler's and Acacia Sgt's current discussion in one of the CE threads, I felt the urge to chime in here.

My only problem with your Smart Time theory is that it makes the hero's efforts meaningless. By this I mean, if the Entity is controlling where and when they go, then what choice do our heroes have? The same problem is present in Chrono Cross: What choice does Serge have in Belthasar's roulette? While obviously not perfect, the theories of TB and TTI at least allow the characters (and players?) to make their own decisions by having the Chronoverse follow a set of time laws that (usually) work, instead of having an entity playing an omnipresent role. Having an predetermined "destiny" defeats the purpose of (the) Chrono Trigger.

Perhaps I am focusing too much on your mention of destiny, and missing a greater point. If so, just let me know.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 01:02:09 pm »
If it helps, the entity is the Zamboni that fixes up the ice. It does not rig the hockey game. But it sees a player trip on a spot in the ice and it's like "I need to fix that spot!" (this would be Marle's paradox). From then on there are no spots in the ice. It really wants to see the game played all the way.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:03:43 pm by Mr Bekkler »

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 07:54:10 pm »
Ah. So would the entity be fixing the timeline as problems occur, or after?

And how does Smart Time explain Doan's appearance at the Millennial Fair, if after Lavos's defeat this Doan should no longer exist?