Author Topic: Need a graphic artist and a coder.  (Read 1542 times)

deniz2099

• Porrean (+50)
  • What's mine is mine... I want you to be MINE..!
    • View Profile
    • Anti - System Of A Down
Need a graphic artist and a coder.
« on: June 07, 2007, 04:04:36 pm »
Hello everyone,

I've been thinking of creating a game, that would be a sequel to "Chrono Trigger" that we all know. I've been writing the plot and sketching the overworlds on some paper, I've tried to make a game before, but I failed. So this time, I badly need someone that can modify/rip sprites and tilesets, and I also need a coder that knows Ruby. If anyone volunteers to work with me, trust me, we will be making some serious and superb stuff.

Thanks for your understanding.

Oh, and let me give you some information about the game that will be created, if someone volunteers to work with me.

Name

The game doesn't have any name, it will be Chrono something, but not Chrono Trigger 2.

Background

The Chrono world and the Earth. (Means that the game will also contain real, historical events that happened in the Earth history..!)

Yes, players will be able to play in the Earth..! Players will be able to meet with some of the celebrates, or Presidents, like Britney Spears or G.W.Bush..!

Players will also be able to play in such a setting, like WW2, or the French Revolution, but I didn't ever decide if which ones they should be.

Time Periods

64.999.990 BC

1.000.000 BC

7.600 BC

5 BC

0 (You might even see the birth of Jesus..!)

102 AD

705 AD

1009 AD

1078 AD

1251 AD

1699 AD

1938 AD

1999 AD

2008 AD

2098 AD

2407 AD

3000 AD

Too much, eh..?

# Characters

The party from CT will exist, and there'll also be new characters that will join the action, from the Chrono world and from the Earth.

This is all for now... I hope you will like it. And I will be editing this message when some good idea pops in my mind about the game.

deniz2099

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: Need a graphic artist and a coder.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 12:41:47 pm »
Oops. Seems like it didn't take any attention at all.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:52:58 pm »
Compendium isn't the best place to ask for help on projects.  Hell, almost nowhere is that great.  The Compendium can help with hacking the rom but not the actual project.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 05:19:27 pm »
Oops. Seems like it didn't take any attention at all.

There's a problem with presenting a story and asking other people to actually make it work and present it for you. Fan projects are often seen through by people who actually work hard and are involved in every aspect of their creation. There are too many people with too many ideas for real teams to often come together, so you have to be able to do your own work.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 05:30:31 pm »
Aye. It's not enough to be an idea person; you've got to put those ideas together, especially when those ideas revolve around a particular area of interest that not too many people pay much attention to. It'd be one thing if this were, say, about Star Wars: you'd probably have twenty people lining up just to help you. But for Chrono Trigger, I'm afraid you're on your own. As it stands I've got plenty of ideas that may never be implimented, and the ideas I do have that are being implimented are only being so thanks to my working with someone else also willing to do the work. As a matter of fact, I joined HIS project and simply revolutionized it from the storyline aspects.

Don't let that get your hopes down, though. If you're really interested in this, you can see it through. It'll take a lot of hard work and some knowledge about various programs, such as Temporal Flux, but if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 06:19:15 pm »
And never forget Tetsuya Takahashi. That's a 100% idea person, and he failed twice because that wasn't enough.

Ramsus

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 06:38:51 pm »
Ideas are cheap. It's not even the idea that really matters, but how well you pull it off, because I guarantee even a good idea has been thought of at least half a million times before you got around to it. If you don't have the skills to do everything yourself, or you don't have the skill of finding and bringing talented people together, then either start learning or get real and move on to something else.

One-man operations are hard to pull off though. You want to be able to create a team, but how do you do that? The best way is to just know friends with lots of talents -- friends who don't mind helping you out. If you don't know anyone like that, then start meeting people. Then you have to flesh out your idea completely, and learn to persuade people to help you pull off your idea (usually, this means incentives that attract various types of people, like money, fame, reputation, a sense of accomplishment, or just getting their name out there -- and knowing which incentives to use on whom).

After that, your project should start gaining some momentum, and it'll be easier to attract even more people to help, just because the more certain and popular a project looks to be, the more people you'll have wanting to get their name on board.

However, it's especially hard when your idea can't be commercialized, since that immediately limits you to attracting people with reputation, fame, or a sense of accomplishment. Even worse when it's something that wouldn't have widespread appeal, since then you might be limited to reputation within a specific community or a sense of accomplishment. And it's almost hopeless when you don't have any reputation yourself, nobody feels they can really gain any themselves from working with you.

That means you're just digging around the bottom of the barrel for whoever happens to be hanging around and would work for a sense of accomplishment. Finding talented individuals within that group can be difficult, and making them interested in your project, especially when you don't matter to them, is even more difficult.

So if you don't have any talented friends, you're pretty much SOL when it comes to finding people, unless you happen to be a really really cute girl or you have a lot of money to pay people full-time. Instead, you better start learning some skills and building a reputation, because it'll be a lot easier than finding people with any real talent to help you.

deniz2099

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2007, 05:40:26 am »
Well, umm... You guys are right. I might not be able to learn Ruby, but I gotta learn something about 2D graphics. But I might need some of your help while learning it - I only know something few. Would you guys mind it? ;)

Ramsus

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2007, 02:24:16 pm »
I say learn to sketch before anything else. Nothing too technical (don't waste your time learning serious drawing techniques how to do shading, textures, etc.), but basically just how to place lines on scratch paper with a pencil in order to create figures with expressions and backgrounds. That way, you have a way to express your ideas visually in a way where others can easily understand.

As a creative person, this is the most useful skill you can have, even if you can't draw. Unlike real drawing, which requires you to understand a lot about lighting (shadows, reflection, contrast), texture, rhythm, perspective, etc., along with technical skills like shading, blending, and texturing, you just want to work on having enough hand-eye coordination to sketch out simple forms, and that's easy enough with practice.

You can then take that ability and use it to quickly storyboard sequences, plan interfaces like menus and battle systems, and create world maps in sketchbooks that you can then scan and pass on to artists, coders, and other designers to create materials with.

It's a basic skill that everyone from film directors and script writers to graphic designers should have.

The next tip I'll give you is that once you're able to flesh out your ideas and you've planned out things like interfaces, scenes, locations, dungeons, puzzles, plot, and started writing a script, consider getting rid of all the Chrono-related elements to make it truly original, go to a forum with people who like to do spriting and get a 2D artist who wants lots of practice, then go to a forum with lots of RPG Maker nuts who can't finish their own projects and pick up a coder who also wants some serious practice.

Then all that has to happen is the artist turns your sketches into real artwork and graphic elements, and the coder makes them move around and work, while you finish up the script.

satchel_dawg

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2007, 02:42:54 pm »

Time Periods

Jesus was born in 2 B.C.

also you shouldn't put that in the game, reason because not all the players are christians, personally i believe in Jesus Christ ,but you really don't want to get flamed by someone that gets offended.

Ramsus

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2007, 02:53:25 pm »

Time Periods

Jesus was born in 2 B.C.

also you shouldn't put that in the game, reason because not all the players are christians, personally i believe in Jesus Christ ,but you really don't want to get flamed by someone that gets offended.

Christianity revolves around believing Christ was indeed the divine son of God, not merely believing in his existence. I would think it would be certain Christians who would be most likely to be offended, depending on how you depicted Jesus and how much they felt placing him in some tacky RPGMaker game trivializes him.

To say Jesus Christ never existed is just as absurd as saying Julius Caesar, the Greek poet Homer, or the Greek hero Achilles never existed. Certainly there may be evidence and reason to believe that they didn't, so some leading historians and archaeologists may believe otherwise, but most people just assume they did, regardless of religious beliefs.

deniz2099

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2007, 05:28:18 pm »

Time Periods

Jesus was born in 2 B.C.

Umm, you know, I am a Muslim, and I believe that religions were sent for changing the humans' behaviour from bad to good, not for making discriminations or something. I would give that answer if somebody warns me about it.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2007, 05:58:31 pm »
Square put Magus in 600 AD and nobody complained, so there probably wouldn't be any problem with a Jesus equivalent in 0.

deniz2099

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2007, 05:55:43 am »
I say learn to sketch before anything else.

I know how to draw, I sometimes draw some good Manga. Umm, the problem about the graphics is with the tilesets. I try to rip them from Temporal Flux, but when I double their size, they become bluury and they don't look good on RMXP. That's my main problem, and that is the first reason that makes me need 2D graphic artists badly... Can somebody help me please about it? I seriously need help. If you wish to help me, you can lend me your MSN address with a Private message. ;)

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2007, 10:22:10 am »
Didn't somewhat make a thread on how to make those work before? .__.