Author Topic: Who won? Magus or Frog?  (Read 4308 times)

Nezz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Re: Who won? Magus or Frog?
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2008, 02:27:01 pm »
It's Frog. Wanna know why? Magus has hair. Lots of it. Notice the cape waving in the wind? Notice no hair waving in the wind? Therefore, Frog.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2008, 02:35:59 pm »
Ah, but the Magus who travelled with Crono and company to defeat Lavos in the Original timeline would be smart enough to know that he could not defeat Lavos by himself, thus not  summoning him. That must of been a different Magus.

What? The Magus Frog fights in that New Game+ ending never traveled with Crono & Co...>_>

It's Frog. Wanna know why? Magus has hair. Lots of it. Notice the cape waving in the wind? Notice no hair waving in the wind? Therefore, Frog.

He could have magic hair...! Or good mousse/gel!

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2008, 02:40:35 pm »
That was my point.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2008, 04:53:37 pm »
Quote from: Rule 32
You must have pictures to prove your statements.

QFT.

No you don't: The moon is round. See? If it's a statement of a generally known object/scenario/whatever then the proof is in the people's memory.

And what of those who never saw the ending? You gonna scorn them and assume they did see it?

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2008, 10:00:12 pm »
Quote from: Rule 32
You must have pictures to prove your statements.

QFT.

No you don't: The moon is round. See? If it's a statement of a generally known object/scenario/whatever then the proof is in the people's memory.

And what of those who never saw the ending? You gonna scorn them and assume they did see it?

It's one of the better endings. I strongly recommend you see it, particularly if you have not.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2008, 03:55:25 am »

Yea, before someone even asked for pictures, a link was provided to a video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1C8BBzYIZs) of the ending that the rest of us have been using for reference rather than relying on memory.  The time this was brought up, we ignored it because the previous request was already filled, ie, by not only providing one picture, but the entire sequence (which when you factor in framers per second etc) is a hell of a lot more than just one picture.  We gonna scorn those that never saw the ending?  Well, considering the evidence was posted for general use for those that don't know how to use a search feature on either a) google, (looking for websites that post ending stills) or b) youtube, then yes, yes we will scorn those for not knowing how to use the internet information resources.  Just as ignorance of the law doesn't absolve one from the law; blatantly displaying willful ignorance in a discussion with a common source of information is viable reason for scorn.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2008, 04:11:26 am »
Oh, it doesn't have long hair.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2008, 10:47:49 pm »

Yea, before someone even asked for pictures, a link was provided to a video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1C8BBzYIZs) of the ending that the rest of us have been using for reference rather than relying on memory.  The time this was brought up, we ignored it because the previous request was already filled, ie, by not only providing one picture, but the entire sequence (which when you factor in framers per second etc) is a hell of a lot more than just one picture.  We gonna scorn those that never saw the ending?  Well, considering the evidence was posted for general use for those that don't know how to use a search feature on either a) google, (looking for websites that post ending stills) or b) youtube, then yes, yes we will scorn those for not knowing how to use the internet information resources.  Just as ignorance of the law doesn't absolve one from the law; blatantly displaying willful ignorance in a discussion with a common source of information is viable reason for scorn.

I was just going to say that yes, I would scorn them if they hadn't seen it and yet insisted upon replying in this topic anyways.

Xenterex

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2008, 01:58:24 am »
I was just going to say that yes, I would scorn them if they hadn't seen it and yet insisted upon replying in this topic anyways

yea, that phrasing sounds better.  I was bitter from the excessive festivities in my life when i wrote that.

Eske

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2008, 03:00:39 pm »
Hair aside, it has to be Frog.  Why would Magus stand on top of his castle all proud of himself for killing one guy?  Also he probably would have just continued summoning Lavos.

maybe

:D

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 01:36:08 am »
  Also he probably would have just continued summoning Lavos.
Yeah, that sounds reasonable.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 02:57:39 pm »
From the ending SFX, Frog gets absolutely pwned by Magus's magic attacks. He even upped his magic defense and used Dark Matter. I heard Frog use very few strikes with the Masamune, but the figure on the castle is definitely Frog - (who maybe ran away after getting nailed by the consecutive Shadow attacks)  :lol: :D

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 03:48:21 pm »
Magus doesn't up his defense when he gets ready for Dark Matter. He drops it.

Quote from: Dark Matter Warning (CTDS)
Magus lowers his guard to cast a spell!

Then again, that's not as accurate as I would like. I'm nearing the Fiendlord battle in my first NewGame+ run (about to fight Zombor) so once I reach that point I'll edit the quote if I need to.

Magus22

• Bounty Hunter
  • Jean-Luc Picard says "It's time for Chrono Break".
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2009, 02:40:56 pm »
Magus doesn't up his defense when he gets ready for Dark Matter. He drops it.

Quote from: Dark Matter Warning (CTDS)
Magus lowers his guard to cast a spell!

Well... actually no. That SFX is used when he is about to cast his strongest magic attack - but it is also used when he increases is magic defense (one of his actual techs). It all depends on whether he is casting the spell or not... so who really knows.

From the ending... it sounds like this from beginning to end... (I do not know if the ending SFX is randomized)

Quote from: SFX from Chrono Trigger (Ending 6 - The Oath)
Magus: Fire2
Frog: Normal attack with Masamune
Magus: Magus attacks multiple times with Scythe
Magus: Dark Mist
Frog: Water
Magus: Increases magic defense - Or powering up for Dark Matter attack
Magus: Lightning2
Frog: Critical hit with Masamune
Magus: Dark Bomb
Magus: Dark Matter
Frog: Frog attacks multiple times with Masamune
Magus: Geyser from blue flames
Frog: Normal attack with Masamune
Magus: Casts spell... then the ending enables

As you can see, Frog got OWNED by Magus and Frog barely even touched Magus. Maybe his last spell teleported him out of his castle in shame, or transformed him back into a human. However, aside speculation, the real victor is up to the player to decide for sure.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2009, 03:05:20 pm »
Well... actually no. That SFX is used when he is about to cast his strongest magic attack - but it is also used when he increases is magic defense (one of his actual techs). It all depends on whether he is casting the spell or not... so who really knows.
Interesting...but why would he finish off the fight by just raising his magic defense?