Author Topic: Chrono Trigger Unglued  (Read 5954 times)

Hadriel

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2005, 05:32:19 pm »
Quote from: Clovis15
Oh yes...

Hadriel, I LOVE your signature.

;)

I commented on it on NG as ProdigalKnight; I've noticed that you are very dedicated to your fans.

I personally care much more about the dialogue than the animation, so long as the animation stays solid.

I love the interactive scenes; they provide an exceptionally nice touch, as well as some of the best dialogue from Crono.

I don't like waiting at all, for anything, ever, but for a reasonable wait time, I'd say as long as it takes to make something that improves in a small way upon the general quality of the ones that have gone before.  The more you make, the more this quality will increase.

The menu really isn't all that important; the movie is.

The custom song would depend on its content and quality.

I'd also been meaning to ask you this, but Newgrounds isn't the best place for it; in one of the secret scenes, "Stupid Monsters" you had three imps discussing quantum mechanics.  Do either one of you happen to actually be majors in hard science?

Anonymous

Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2005, 06:31:38 pm »
Quote from: evirus
oh, also make less non clickable dialog, i cant read that fast sometimes i miss half the content in the dialog box

The only non clickable dialogue we ever had consisted of single words or common net abbreviations like WTF during the Benny Hill Chase Scene in Episode 12, or Crono making non dialogue sounds during the final scene of episode 12 like Hrmm and Grrrr. The dialogue during the chase scene simply had to be non clickable for the scene to work properly. If you speak of the scene in Episode 9 where Yakra knocks Crono out of the room while he's talking, that was intentional to show the fact he never got to finished it and got blasted out before he could say it (Unless it was actually a goof and Cryo forgot to put a stop(); in at that point, but I've always assumed it was intentional)

In short, I can't meet your request because all DIALOGUE is clickable as far as I know (and I hardly call the stuff during the Benny Hill Chase Dialogue). If there is some other moment you speak of, please let me know although if other moments exist it may be an error in your flash player. There are minor updates within a major version of flash that you only get if you go to Macromedia's website, so I suggest going there and installing Flash 8 again if you already have it.

Oh yes, if you speak of the credits, that's impossible for the same reasons as the Benny Hill Scene. When I set motion to music I simply can NOT stop the animation without stopping the music too and that's animation no-no if you're doing a sequence to music. It'd render pointless all the efforts of setting it to music in the first place.

I do promise that if I set a major animation segment to music again (and it will happen at some point) that there will be no TRUE dialogues during it unless we choose to voice it.

Anonymous

Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2005, 06:43:19 pm »
For my basic answers to the other comments, read my answers to the others users.

Quote from: Hadriel

I'd also been meaning to ask you this, but Newgrounds isn't the best place for it; in one of the secret scenes, "Stupid Monsters" you had three imps discussing quantum mechanics.  Do either one of you happen to actually be majors in hard science?

Me, no (but I am more well read up in a few of the topics than some other people who aren't majoring in it either, because it was something I needed to do for a project I was writing once). I don't know if Cyro is, but considering I'm going to be explaining the concept of 4th-dimensionality to him soon (and why Time is actually more like a 5TH axis) over the phone and how it means if someone had an infinite life span travelling through the universe in a straight line will get them back to where they start, I doubt it (yes, I actually have a very good and complete accurate way of explaining this involving metaphors that rely on old console RPGs... I am not making that up). I can say this, I was not around when he did that and so I know for a fact he didn't ask me for any input in the making of it.

Remember, Episode 11 represents when I joined production.

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • http://clovis15.deviantart.com
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2005, 06:46:16 pm »
Wheee, the system decided to log me out without making me aware of it.

evirus

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2005, 07:11:57 pm »
Quote from: Anonymous
Quote from: evirus
oh, also make less non clickable dialog, i cant read that fast sometimes i miss half the content in the dialog box

The only non clickable dialogue we ever had consisted of single words or common net abbreviations like WTF during the Benny Hill Chase Scene in Episode 12, or Crono making non dialogue sounds during the final scene of episode 12 like Hrmm and Grrrr. The dialogue during the chase scene simply had to be non clickable for the scene to work properly. If you speak of the scene in Episode 9 where Yakra knocks Crono out of the room while he's talking, that was intentional to show the fact he never got to finished it and got blasted out before he could say it (Unless it was actually a goof and Cryo forgot to put a stop(); in at that point, but I've always assumed it was intentional)

In short, I can't meet your request because all DIALOGUE is clickable as far as I know (and I hardly call the stuff during the Benny Hill Chase Dialogue). If there is some other moment you speak of, please let me know although if other moments exist it may be an error in your flash player. There are minor updates within a major version of flash that you only get if you go to Macromedia's website, so I suggest going there and installing Flash 8 again if you already have it.

Oh yes, if you speak of the credits, that's impossible for the same reasons as the Benny Hill Scene. When I set motion to music I simply can NOT stop the animation without stopping the music too and that's animation no-no if you're doing a sequence to music. It'd render pointless all the efforts of setting it to music in the first place.

I do promise that if I set a major animation segment to music again (and it will happen at some point) that there will be no TRUE dialogues during it unless we choose to voice it.

yah i ment the actual dialog boxes like the yakra one you described im ok with the other "emote" ones in the staircase for instance

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2005, 07:25:12 pm »
- I will consider it, but since the contributers may change one epiosde to the next I'm not sure it's fair to them (I'm the guy in the theater who stays for the credits). We might (keyword: might) look into a skip feature that is only active on repeat viewings for that session.

Ah, something that incorporates using harddrive space as permanent memory? I'm not quite sure how that works with flash, but that would be nice not only with the credits, but with the bonus scenes. Fun as it is to go through the miniscule effort to gain the additional scene, sometimes I may just wanna watch that one particular scene without going through the repetetive dravel of clicking this at that point and so forth and whatnot. What situations could I daresay possibly arise where such circumstances of true merit and lack-of-laziness would be the case? I have nary a clue. But still! =)

I must say, the three imps' discussion was absolutely fascinating. And I know NOTHING about science!

Oh, and about non-clickable dialogue. There are a few instances of it in earlier episodes, I know what he's talking about. I...can't say exactly which ones. I suppose I should watch them to give you precisely...uhm...precise details, but I tend to agree with you. If they cut off, they're supposed to cut off, and that's koo'.

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2005, 07:50:47 pm »
Quote from: Mystik3eb
- I will consider it, but since the contributers may change one epiosde to the next I'm not sure it's fair to them (I'm the guy in the theater who stays for the credits). We might (keyword: might) look into a skip feature that is only active on repeat viewings for that session.

Ah, something that incorporates using harddrive space as permanent memory? I'm not quite sure how that works with flash, but that would be nice not only with the credits, but with the bonus scenes. Fun as it is to go through the miniscule effort to gain the additional scene, sometimes I may just wanna watch that one particular scene without going through the repetetive dravel of clicking this at that point and so forth and whatnot. What situations could I daresay possibly arise where such circumstances of true merit and lack-of-laziness would be the case? I have nary a clue. But still! =)

I must say, the three imps' discussion was absolutely fascinating. And I know NOTHING about science!

Oh, and about non-clickable dialogue. There are a few instances of it in earlier episodes, I know what he's talking about. I...can't say exactly which ones. I suppose I should watch them to give you precisely...uhm...precise details, but I tend to agree with you. If they cut off, they're supposed to cut off, and that's koo'.

No hard drive space is needed, I said it'd only be valid for the current session. In other words you'd be able to skip the credits if you get to them a second time on the same session (of viewing). It is technically possible for me to store information on your hard drive from a flash using cookies but it's not worth the effort for something so minor (and it's a really annoying feature to support when people who block and/or regularly flush cookies, but are also morons, complain about it not working and demand you fix it... I've seen it happen with other artists and I'm in no hurry to implement it for something so trivial).

You know, I really need to conduct a series watch through back from Episode 1 someday soon. Preferably before I begin work on Episode 12.

Cryokenetic

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/ctu/index.html
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2005, 12:11:50 am »
Hey Everyone! It's Cryo! Clovis clued me in on this forum discussion and I couldn't just ignore fans! ^_^

I am always floored to see forum subjects about my creation. Even though I know I have a fanbase, it always surprises me to see conversations about CTU that I haven't started myself. Gives me a giddy feeling all over.

Now let's see about some of these questions...

Clovis was right for the most part about the quick text boxes. They are never meant to be read fully. Like the Yakra example or the one where Marle runs into Crono for the first time. It's never an especially funny line though, so don't worry about mising a good joke. The joke in itself is the "interrupted" sentence, and I would never waste a good joke like that.  8)

As for the science question, I hate hard science. I love the theories that go along with it, but I despise the math that becomes inherent with working with it. But I took Physics class and I am aware of the different ideas on the matter. Truthfully, 48% of the imp conversation was bull.

Also, like Clovis said, I still write most of the script, so the issues with it not being as funny is my fault. It gets better when Crono gets a more three dimensional character to bounce off of, as opposed to Cat.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2005, 12:20:39 am »
Cryo, your humor has baffled me to a point only matched by such genius as is shown in Homestar Runner, 8-Bit Theater, and Bob & George. And that's saying alot, from my viewpoint.

That said I'm rather surprised to see the creator(s) of fantastic works such as this actually going out of their way to talk to the fans about it. It's nice, and unusual, for me at least. Knowing that you're at least reading this thread, I'll know that you'll read my compliment when I say "You have created my favorite flash series to date. You're awesome."

=)

As to Clovis' last post: Damn those fools. God, I've grown to strongly dislike truly stupid people. Though I'm sure I swallow myself up into a hole of great hypocrisy and ignorance when I say such, for surely others say the same considering me to fall under that category.

But damn them anyway!

evirus

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2005, 12:27:49 am »
Quote from: Cryokenetic
Hey Everyone! It's Cryo! Clovis clued me in on this forum discussion and I couldn't just ignore fans! ^_^

I am always floored to see forum subjects about my creation. Even though I know I have a fanbase, it always surprises me to see conversations about CTU that I haven't started myself. Gives me a giddy feeling all over.

Now let's see about some of these questions...

Clovis was right for the most part about the quick text boxes. They are never meant to be read fully. Like the Yakra example or the one where Marle runs into Crono for the first time. It's never an especially funny line though, so don't worry about mising a good joke. The joke in itself is the "interrupted" sentence, and I would never waste a good joke like that.  8)

As for the science question, I hate hard science. I love the theories that go along with it, but I despise the math that becomes inherent with working with it. But I took Physics class and I am aware of the different ideas on the matter. Truthfully, 48% of the imp conversation was bull.

Also, like Clovis said, I still write most of the script, so the issues with it not being as funny is my fault. It gets better when Crono gets a more three dimensional character to bounce off of, as opposed to Cat.

as my professor in statistics once said, after a student admitted that she didnt know if what she said was actualy correct, "well you said it with confidence and thats 90% of statistics"

the last episode seemed a little slow in terms of FPS, the movement wasnt as smooth, prehaps a combination of the more detailed dialog boxes and the fact that most of your scenes are zoomed in and what not

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2005, 01:14:12 am »
To Evrius:

I'm pretty sure that had nothing to do with the dialogue boxes, especially considering what I know about flash. That said, I do intend to make them even more efficient. No, I think that may have bee my fault. I will try harder in the future to not do that again. You may not believe it, but that was the second major animated flash work I've ever done (and yet I still somehow know more about the software than many). Just don't ask. It was the first time I've ever animated sprites and it was like a crash course. *SIGH*

To Mystik3eb:

That second song listed on the website was quite nice. And the quality of the recording was cleaner than I had been expecting. But the question for me is if you can do something a bit more up tempo. That's very good and all, it's just not quite the sound I had in mind for an intro.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2005, 08:11:42 am »
Well if I were to be given a general idea of what I should write, I could go from there. Sure I can do more up-beat stuff, I just haven't sat down and written any yet. If you'd be interested, let me know exactly what kinda song you're looking for, and I'll do what I can. And I promise I won't half-ass it either.

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2005, 07:43:06 pm »
Would you mind if I e-mailed you some mp3s to help the creation process as inspirational sources? I'm not entirely sure how to describe what I want, but my friend tells me, "thats how the star wars score got made, Lucas picked music he felt was like what he wanted and John Williams went off from those". By the way, if you're doing the theme song you don't have to limit yourself to 30 seconds (the full version might not necessarily be used in the Flash, but don't feel constrained to 30 seconds if you want to go longer as very rarely actual theme songs get made at just 30 seconds or even the 1:30 seen in anime (and I'm perfectly willing to do a 1:30 opening like I did for my game Marathon but I'm not sure if people would appreciate that)).

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2005, 07:49:14 pm »
Feel free to email me anything.

Actually I was thinking...how opposed are you two to voice acting? Just curious =)

Clovis15

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
Chrono Trigger Unglued
« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2005, 07:55:35 pm »
I'm currently trying to contact you on AIM since I noticed you have an AIM contact and my friend smacked me and asked me why the hell I'm trying to conduct this over a message board.