Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 489177 times)

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4275 on: October 15, 2009, 03:18:28 am »
When people I don't know try to friend me on Facebook.  I don't care if we have friends in common and whatnot--if I don't know you then I don't know you.  I know you're trying to increase your number of friends so it looks like you have a bigger e-penis, but I'm not going to be your pawn for that.  Sorry.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4276 on: October 15, 2009, 06:58:33 am »
THe fuck was that dream I just had? Fucking standing in my old backyard in total darkness waiting for alligators to sneak up and one to get in the house because that's what fate ordained. Meanwhile my neighbor's backyard on my left is hostoing htis extreme late night NPR game show for no reason at all, probably beause I read about someone listening to "Say's You" and they're talking over theire so smug about the fact that they know the alligators are coming.

Bastards. If I go back to sleep and dream that again, someone's going toget it. Someone will go Kamina on those bastard.s

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: October 15, 2009, 10:18:29 am »
When people I don't know try to friend me on Facebook.  I don't care if we have friends in common and whatnot--if I don't know you then I don't know you.  I know you're trying to increase your number of friends so it looks like you have a bigger e-penis, but I'm not going to be your pawn for that.  Sorry.

Yes. But you forgot to put the word "friend" in quotes. (I jest :lol: ) Facebook's friend suggestion thing is my gripe. It's really annoying because it tells me to talk to people I went to elementary school, middle school, and high school with. There is a reason I don't contact those people. It was the art of disappearing. And damn it, I don't want to know who that girl I dated for a month in 8th grade is married to.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 10:20:21 am by Mr Bekkler »

kingpingu30

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Cos I am the actual king of the pingus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: October 15, 2009, 12:05:37 pm »
I think that those, "random adders" as I call them, on Facebook are actually idiotic tbh. They ALL just want another reason to brag about something. Also, I really hate those people on Facebook that you delete for offending you, or in this case, offending you AND your friends, and they then try to re-add you. You accept the request, thinking that they may have learned the error of their ways, only to have them start the whole thing all over again. Thats another frustration of mine... I don't need to be bullied on the internet by the same idiots that do it at my school!!!!!

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: October 15, 2009, 12:40:27 pm »
I think that those, "random adders" as I call them, on Facebook are actually idiotic tbh. They ALL just want another reason to brag about something. Also, I really hate those people on Facebook that you delete for offending you, or in this case, offending you AND your friends, and they then try to re-add you. You accept the request, thinking that they may have learned the error of their ways, only to have them start the whole thing all over again. Thats another frustration of mine... I don't need to be bullied on the internet by the same idiots that do it at my school!!!!!

Yeah, if I delete somebody, it's for good. I rarely ever delete people, though.

tripehound

• Porrean (+50)
  • Autistic Monkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: October 15, 2009, 09:04:03 pm »
Facebook's friend suggestion thing is my gripe. It's really annoying because it tells me to talk to people I went to elementary school, middle school, and high school with.

That's why I filled in as little information as possible. The only publicly viewable and useful pieces of ID are my name, and a profile image which, if you personally knew me, would be a dead giveaway as to who I am.

And even after I add someone as a friend, they only additional tidbit they would get is an email address. Anyone who needs it already has my cell phone number, street address, etc.

People either know me, or they don't. I'm not volunteering information just because there's a space for it in my profile.  :)

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: October 15, 2009, 09:10:52 pm »
Yes. But you forgot to put the word "friend" in quotes. (I jest :lol: ) Facebook's friend suggestion thing is my gripe. It's really annoying because it tells me to talk to people I went to elementary school, middle school, and high school with. There is a reason I don't contact those people. It was the art of disappearing. And damn it, I don't want to know who that girl I dated for a month in 8th grade is married to.

I concur.  I'm sick of Facebook presenting me with people I dislike and saying we should be friends.  Um, no.  I'm not going to befriend people who threw rocks at me when I was 11 or who were absolutely shitty ex-best friends.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: October 15, 2009, 09:29:23 pm »
I have 23 friends on Facebook. It works great for me!

Just decline superficial invitations, and don't let it bug you.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: October 15, 2009, 10:24:46 pm »
The anti-choice people had a large anti-abortion display set up on Red Square at the University of Washington today, including real live babies as well as photographs of aborted fetuses. Presumably the display has been there all week. This is a bold frontal assault for them, right in the thick of a liberal citadel at the very beginning of the school year. If this had happened somewhere else, I might have felt compelled to engage, but as a matter of principle I make special dispensation for the UW (and presumably for other universities). Because of the UW's sterling integrity and positive atmosphere, we can afford to have any conversation. This is a very good thing, since, if we as a society can't have debates in our universities, where can we? Still, it's frustrating that this is a conversation that American continues to want to have.

Anyhow, my enormous trust in the UW was immediately reaffirmed when, near the anti-abortion carnival, I spotted a two-sided "Free Speech Board" that had been set up, where students, faculty, and others had written thousands of messages in support of women's rights.

Unrelated: I am frustrated when people say "there is no word" to describe what they are feeling. How pompous and ignorant. I've been railing against that for ten years. Your experiences, no matter how profound they are to you, are not so special that they cannot be put to a word. Maybe it'll need to be a capitalized word, but, either way, words make our species what it is. Deny that, and you deny your own potential.

Also unrelated: I get frustrated by overused political catchphrases. If I had a dollar for every time that somebody got "thrown under the bus," not only would I be stupidly rich, but America would have to be a land of wild roving misanthropic buses where very few people remain alive.

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: October 15, 2009, 10:57:00 pm »
i am frustrated at my own resiliance.
this morning i woke up puking my brains out. i blame those goddamn teenagers. i guess its the flu. but because im such a stubborn buck i went to work any way and trained the new meat.
of course mia sent me home.
but i came back under a clever disguise!!
she sent me home again.
im just so out of it. ive been sleeping all day and periodically emptying my stomach of dry toast and kool aid. i dont think work was a good idea.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #4285 on: October 15, 2009, 11:05:45 pm »
i am frustrated at my own resiliance.
this morning i woke up puking my brains out. i blame those goddamn teenagers. i guess its the flu. but because im such a stubborn buck i went to work any way and trained the new meat.
of course mia sent me home.
but i came back under a clever disguise!!
she sent me home again.
im just so out of it. ive been sleeping all day and periodically emptying my stomach of dry toast and kool aid. i dont think work was a good idea.

Yikes.  Feel better Zombie!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: October 15, 2009, 11:52:27 pm »
Feel better! But don't try going to work again in the future when you're sick. It's a serious public health danger.

Kara Kazeneko

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • Kara's DeviantArt Page
« Reply #4287 on: October 16, 2009, 12:22:28 am »
Since folks have been talking about Facebook, that brings up a frustration for me =

I have a bunch of folks on my friendlist that aren't exactly friends (most of them are either friends of my parents who thought it nice to add me, or people who know me via some of the games on FB).

Like Mr. Bekkler, I rarely ever delete people (recently had to do it, though, to some guy my parents know who's been bombarding me with massively extreme right-wing conspiracy shit, and mind you I'm a conservative and think that guy's beliefs are totally wacko). It's hard to get rid of someone without consulting them first on it, but I'm nervous to say anything. My mom does that (get folks' consent to remove them), ever since this one girl freaked out when my mom deleted her  - because she thought that it was because she'd said something that offended my mom or whatever. *sigh*

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: October 16, 2009, 06:24:06 pm »
Current frustration: People who add one-line smartass replies to forum threads without, as far as I can tell, actually, y'know, reading them and trying to understand the context first. (Understandable if the thread has 100+ posts, but not for a thread with a grand total of two.)

My solution for Facebook is much the same as tripehound's: provide as little information as possible, and arbitrarily deny friend requests from anyone whose name I don't immediately recognize. (Actually, I ought to see if I can figure out how to close my account--it was established for a specific reason which is now over and done with. If only wrestling with their interface wasn't such a bloody chore...)

ZombieBucky

• Springtime of Youth
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • <insert witty phrase to match above avatar>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: October 17, 2009, 09:37:21 pm »
yeah it was a one day flu. i still felt crappy yesterday but i stayed home too. slept all day.
but today made up for it!