Author Topic: World Revolution [orchestra remix in progress, help needed]  (Read 1573 times)

Counter-Colette

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
World Revolution [orchestra remix in progress, help needed]
« on: April 04, 2011, 10:09:47 pm »

No idea where to put this one, as it's not so much a submission as a call for help, but since it does contain an mp3 and no other subforum fits...

World Revolution orchestra reprise, incomplete

On the other thread I mentioned other works in progress; this is one of them. Or rather this is my first, very old demo, incomplete, in mono and with synch problems all over, because I lost the actual mix in progress in a computer crash. The score itself was already written and printed, so nothing's really lost aside from the time I'll need to play it all over again. Thing is, the reorchestration was based on the style of an old, OLD midi file I'd had for ages, which also was lost in the crash. And I have no idea whatsoever where in hell I'd found it in the first place.

So if you recognize the style and can point me to the midi, or even better, its maker, I'd be really thankful, because I want to give proper credit when I do end up posting the completed thing. I might not have used the file itself, but it's still that guy/girl's idea to tackle World Revolution this way in the first place.

The midi file was about six minutes and had the same progression: two slow rolls through the first part, small cut to the main theme, then back up to normal game speed for the rest of the song.

Hoping hard someone recognizes it, because if no one here does, I have no idea where to ask  :(

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile

Kodokami

• Entity
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Enjoy the moment!
    • View Profile
Re: World Revolution [orchestra remix in progress, help needed]
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 02:01:40 pm »
Very nice. "World Revolution" has always been one of my favorites. However, the ending seems a bit muddled, like all the instruments begin overlapping each other.

Counter-Colette

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 03:49:44 pm »
And the midi file has the complete credits, too! DarioEMeloD, you are my hero forever at least until next month. THANK YOU!! I wish I had something to give as thanks, but you'll have to make do with a King Zeal smiley as a token symbol of how awesome you are.

:kz

Kodokami, well yes, this is just the crappy quality speed tryout... Most of it's recorded in mono, there's no equalizing whatsoever, half the instruments are missing, half the SONG is missing for that matter, but it's the only file of the folder that survived the crash, so that's all I had to post to help find the file it's inspired by.

The "normal" version thankfully sounded nothing like this... And hopefully will once again sound nothing like this when I'm done rerecording it.

Thank you so much, guys.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 04:00:56 pm by Counter-Colette »

DarioEMeloD

• Guardian (+100)
  • Ñ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 04:53:11 pm »
You're welcome =)
I can't wait to hear the final version, hope you can put some of your own style too =D

PS: I just love Januschalace (and love the title xD)

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 12:35:32 am »

It kind of sounds like a lamentation, something you'd play before the start of a decorated military procession. This isn't to say that this original remix of an otherwise great song is bad. Quite the contrary, I kind of liked it.

Nice balance between the strings and the vocals, and I liked how 3/4 of the way through, the tempo picked up into a rapid march with the timpanis (those were timpanis, right), but I kind of felt like the finish ended on a quieter note than from the upbeat rhythm of earlier. Other than that, brave attempt overall and a nice performance for just a simple MIDI construction.

See if you get an improved version out of this remix. I'd like to hear it in the future.

Counter-Colette

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 01:14:25 am »

Umm, there's no midi..? Januschalace is half-midi, but not this one.

Well, there's the original one that gave me the idea and that I was looking for to credit the guy, but none of my track is midi. It's me playing on a modded old Yamaha PSR-220, very off-tempo and in mono half of the time because I was just trying out how it sounded and not making a serious recording, with good ol' Windows Recorder as the mixing tool. If you really want a laugh, the flute track was played on the virtual synth that came with installing FF7 PC version because my synth didn't want to install it.

Yeah, I have crappy gear and shouldn't be let anywhere near music, I know.

Well, my synth does use SF2 soundfont banks, some of which I blatantly stole from around the net, so I guess you can call it midi, but... Man, if I managed to get that off-tempo and muddled with an actual midi file base, I'd die from shame. Even Fruityloops does better than this.

As for the "finish", it's the middle of the track... It's just the point I stopped my tryout recording at.

I'm about a third through the complete, not-failing-at-synch and not-mixed-with-Windows-Recorder version, lol. I've been working on other stuff (mostly Tales of Phantasia/Symphonia and Mushishi, just go to the Januschalace post and check my LJ if interested) and I'm a horrible slowpoke to begin with. Sorry!