Author Topic: English DS trailer launches; 1UP editorial mentions Compendium with epic fail  (Read 7552 times)

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Stupidity works in mysterious ways. That MagusDX person created an entire series of Youtube videos criticizing the Retranslation.

Eternal Myst

• Level ** (100)
  • Confirmed working on PAL.
    • View Profile
NVM....
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 07:50:49 pm by Eternal Myst »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Stupidity works in mysterious ways. That MagusDX person created an entire series of Youtube videos providing free advertising for the Retranslation (and Compendium), despite his misunderstanding of why someone would want a non-naturalized translation.

Fixed.

maggiekarp

• Crimson Echoes Beta Squad
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • ʇ ı  ʇ n o q ɐ  p ɹ ı ǝ ʍ ˙ ˙ ˙ ƃ u ı ɥ ʇ ǝ ɯ o s
    • View Profile
Honestly, they could keep the same old translation as long as they fix stuff that's blatant errors and censorships (Schala being a step-sister, Lucca and Marle talking when the other should, soda and lemonade are booze, etc.)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Uh, but the old translation left a lot out as even Ted has admitted...why continue to withhold the creator's originally intended work further? If the oldschool fans (who are the only ones that would complain) still want the old version, then there are still two old versions of said script available (not to mention they've obviously already played the old version, so why bother?)...Let's not let nostalgia rule over accuracy.

x_XTacTX_x

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • I got myself a Paper Clip.
    • View Profile
Ugh. That MagusX guy on youtube is just really starting to piss me off. You make one counter argument and he makes some sort of immature unrelated insult and calls you "A Stupid Troll". He's getting a fucking video response. You'll see.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
Bah, I made one comment that wasn't even a flame (I told him that if he understood the structure of the Japanese language the retranslation would make more sense).  Then I said his rants made him sound like a "fanboy", but when it comes down to Chrono Trigger, "don't we all?"

He left a nasty response on the video, then another on my homepage.

Then, he blocked me.

Dick.

He just knows I could put him in his place.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Can someone post this on his video?

Hey Magus! Nice video you've got there! But hey man, when you sit there and insult a group of people who have not gotten a new game since 2000 (I don't count the failure that is Chronicles), what do you expect? With nothing much to do you start to do strange things, like retranslate the game. And of course, something that took them a long ass time is going to hold a special place in their hearts. And when they see and hear someone bash their creation, there is going to be anger. So maybe if you refrain from making anymore comments towards them, we wont have anymore crap like this.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
Consider it done, nightmare. I'm on it.

EDIT: Sory, Nightmare, it was too big to post on his video. I sent it to him as a message on an alt account instead.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008, 03:12:25 pm by x_XTacTX_x »

Shinrin

• Chrono Trigger Threads of Time
  • Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • Chrono Trigger Fan # 100
    • View Profile
    • Shinrin Cole
While the retranslation is nice, It did leave in a lot of stuff that like -sama and stuff in the game. Most translations you see, like FFV FFIV SNES and FFVI don't use this and other translations don't use them. Also, when reading the script, I could even tell that the script needs polishing. It needed editing in a way that would be more understandable.

Well, you got one thing working against you here for the translation, People are really used to the original translation, that they feel like if you retranslate a game, it'll ruin the game. RPGone's FF6 retranslation got this crap when it released it.

My suggestion would be to Take out all the sama stuff and polish the translation. (I've tried the retranslation, and got fustrated with it, cause some of the stuff I couldn't understand.)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
I believe you're the kind of person that the OTHER retranslation was created for, yes? Maybe you should try that one.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
A clearer portrayal of Chrono Trigger as intended by its Japanese creators is now available. It is not the opinion of this project that Ted Woolsey's official translation was bad or insufficient in any way -- only that some essence of the game was lost or altered, given Nintendo of America's censorship standards and the inability of the game to hold all the original text when translated to English.

A clearer portrayal of Chrono Trigger as intended by its Japanese creators is now available. It is not the opinion of this project that Ted Woolsey's official translation was bad or insufficient in any way -- only that some essence of the game was lost or altered, given Nintendo of America's censorship standards and the inability of the game to hold all the original text when translated to English.

For the whiners: We apologize for not translating your favorite Japan-only game, Densetsu no Haineko LXI. In the future, KWhazit will be more mindful of your nerdy complaints and choose an obscure game to satisfy your refined tastes in RPGs. Also, we will no longer present our work as a "hobby" by fans and for fans, but instead we will present ourselves as crusaders against Nintendo's sacrilegious inaccuracy and censorship. In line with this paradigm shift, KWhazit will begin demanding monthly Paypal contributions to continue, and will make irregular posts complaining about real life. To make a splash, we will announce no less than 10 new fan translations at at time, with release dates (if you're lucky) of no less than ten years out. Only then will we be a true fan translation unit and cater to your expectations and tastes.

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
NO WAY, how did I miss that! :lol:

I always felt the translation was purely a new reference for fans and the encyclopedia.

x_XTacTX_x

• View Profile
Jeez, ZealitY.

Are you going to spam Magus with that?

It'd be a lot better if we all kept in respectful and intellectual, without spamming or flooding it with random insults. Then we'd be no better than him.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Well, if he insults me with my purely neutral message, I'd say it's time to fight douches with douches.