Author Topic: Career changes and what not  (Read 1496 times)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
Re: Career changes and what not
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2010, 08:54:41 pm »
Shitty show last night at the Haha.  So it goes.  This career choice of mine is a doozy.  I hardly ever know when real work is coming next, constantly striving just to get noticed, and on and on and on...

So yeah I hit a tv gig for a day or agent problems and came oh so close to some bigtime commercials (which means bigtime payday in addition to exposure) and I've gotten big laughs at clubs but it can be short lived.  Don't get too up with the highs or too low with the lows.

It's a ridiculous place/business where I'm constantly surrounded by folks who stare up into the massive umbrella of their dreams, and slowly shrink it until it's something that they are "comfy" with.  That is no longer a dream. 

Fuck that.

I stretch my umbrella out further and further until I can't see it's edges anymore.  Until I'm swimming in it.  I had a shitty ass show last night, first one in a while....STRETCH IT FURTHER

NEXT WEEK IM BACK AT THE HAHA
TWO WEEKS LATER INVITED BACK TO PASADENA ICEHOUSE
3 DAYS LATER IN THE HOLLYWOOD COMEDY FEST
WAITING TO HEAR BACK FROM AUDITION WITH THE COMEDY STORE
That's just real shows for just comedy in just August.  That's not even open mics to hone my shit, auditions, a very intense acting class, scene study, monologues, reading, callbacks, marketing, travel, appeasing the agent, photos, filming our own vids....it goes on and on.

Open your umbrella.  Approach everything you do, no matter how awful or mundane, with the same fervor and passion that you pursue your dreams.  It'll only change your life.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 09:12:30 pm »
YOU'RE GETTING THINGS FIRED UP SHEE

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE

SEE THE INVISIBLE

ROW ROW FIGHT THE POWER

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2010, 01:55:44 am »
But have any of them been any good? Well, I'm a bit surprised about this trafficking thing too. Must not be my part of the Midwest (WI), pretty sure I'd of heard about something like that.

Heard from who?  The news?  The press?  Trafficking is very secret and very underground.  It's probably happening in your neighbourhood and no, I am not being dramatic.

There are pretty much three people who know about the ins and outs of trafficking and where it occurs::

-  The traffickers themselves.
-  The trafficked.
-  The clients.

Two out of the three aren't going to say anything about it because they get pleasure out of it or it pads their pockets, and the one is in no position to speak up.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if you hadn't heard anything.  Trafficking is very protected.  It's the third largest money-making business in the entire world.

I know for a fact that I was trafficked in Wisconsin.  I don't know where you live in WI, but I know for certain that I was trafficked in that state.

And I don't know what you mean by the therapists being any "good", but some of them have come pretty highly recommended.  But even a highly recommended shrink doesn't often come across someone who has known what it is like to be enslaved, who has seen multiple people being murdered, who feels completely like an object because they have been sold and bartered and traded, etc.  Even a "good" therapist doesn't come across formerly trafficked people often.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 02:24:07 am »
Just in the middle of a change myself, from job to the start of a career (now there is a riddle for you, what is the difference between a job and a career?). Unfortunately this has caused me to cut my income by about 4/5th, and I am limiting my earning potential. Though this is economically a horrible move, I am hoping that by getting my PhD I'll be able to be an inspirational professor, turning kids onto history and humanity-changing concepts.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 03:14:06 am »
Darn, imagine having Thought as your college prof. "Now, young ones, your assignment is an argumentative essay examining Robo's sentience. And bonus points on tomorrow's exam if you know who played the fifth Doctor."

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 03:42:56 am »
Darn, imagine having Thought as your college prof. "Now, young ones, your assignment is an argumentative essay examining Robo's sentience. And bonus points on tomorrow's exam if you know who played the fifth Doctor."

You, sir, are hilarious.  :D