Author Topic: Park Your Amusements Here  (Read 99973 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Park Your Amusements Here
« Reply #1080 on: April 15, 2012, 02:47:13 am »
What groups have you been listening to? I've been listening to a lot of Scandinavian metal over the last few years, and there's a lot of good metal coming out of that region.
It's just been a random exploration on Youtube, actually. XD The ones I started off with were Tyr, Crimfall, Turisas and Arch Enemy. Right now, I'm on the groups Alestorm, Fejd, Lord of Lies, Hammerfall, Nordwind, Manegram, Bathory, Falkenbach, etc.

Never liked Scandinavian Metal before, TBH, but somehow recently I'm growing a taste for newer genres like it. A lot of them, frankly, seem like mindless kitsch, but when I strike upon ones that have "quality" it's an instant like!

Is there any you'd recommend?

I don't like rap no matter in what situation. When someone around is listening to such thing without a headphone I'll hate him/her and become nervous. Is there something wrong with my taste? :?

Not at all! Some like it hot, some like it frigid lot. Rap is a meat that's been fried / roasted (either "finely" or "hastily"), but often lacking spice -- meat lovers would drool, but taste-lovers would prefer something else. So of course, as a kitsch, it can be downright annoying. Yes, there are some good ones out there, but they all (again) depend on preference, just as how a lot of Classical / New Age lovers don't like Pop / Rock (although, I like every genre so long as it provides quality 8)).

Though, indeed, folks hearing loud music (no matter what genre) without headphones makes me wanna jump off the window too.

Oh, well, here's the Epoch for you folks!

[youtube]7gj6rQOqgAs[/youtube]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 02:51:46 am by tushantin »

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: April 15, 2012, 04:40:20 am »
 :lol:

I like your comparison, tushantin, very impressive.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: April 16, 2012, 07:29:30 pm »
The university I attend is *really* pushing its new bartending course.

I think they're finally getting in touch with the state of the U.S. economy, and offering things people can actually get hired in over here nowadays.  :?  

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: April 16, 2012, 09:45:55 pm »
I know two bartenders.  They were both lib arts majors.  Go lib arts!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: April 16, 2012, 11:07:01 pm »
Very nice, Tush. Thanks for the recommendation, that group seems fun. I've never been big in the various metal scenes, but I have a nice little catch of groups and songs like that.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1085 on: April 18, 2012, 12:00:47 am »
What groups have you been listening to? I've been listening to a lot of Scandinavian metal over the last few years, and there's a lot of good metal coming out of that region.

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I wanted to answer it anyway haha.  My favourite three Scandinavian metal bands are Arch Enemy, In Flames, and Children of Bodom.

I'm happy to talk music with anyone! I've actually seen Arch Enemy and Children of Bodom in concert. Some asshole punched me when I saved him from falling head first into the pit. Some people.

It's just been a random exploration on Youtube, actually. XD The ones I started off with were Tyr, Crimfall, Turisas and Arch Enemy. Right now, I'm on the groups Alestorm, Fejd, Lord of Lies, Hammerfall, Nordwind, Manegram, Bathory, Falkenbach, etc.

I've listened to a few of those. Alestorm is fun, and Hammerfall has some good stuff. I haven't listened to most of those groups.

I tend to go the more symphonic route myself: Stuff like Blind Guardian, Apocalpytica, Kamelot and Nightwish, though I've also been listening to a fair amount of Falconer and Sabaton lately. Van Canto is also amazing; they're an a capella metal group. I've never heard anything quite like them.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: April 18, 2012, 11:07:32 pm »
THE SOULFORGED.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: April 20, 2012, 01:45:56 pm »

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1088 on: April 20, 2012, 10:24:53 pm »
THE SOULFORGED.

Damn right! That song has been a rallying cry for me on a number of more difficult times in my life. The end of the last verse especially.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1089 on: April 26, 2012, 07:10:30 am »
Tyrion Lannister reminds me of my best buddy (who has apparently become a sailor now). Looks just like him. And literally looks just like him (see his eyes!), and just as witty as him.

And perhaps more!

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: April 26, 2012, 07:27:23 pm »
So according to my subconscious mind while I'm sleeping, Apocalyptico is the direct sequel to The Emperor's New Groove.

I mean, at least my brain recognizes that they're both pre-invasion, Meso-American movies but yikes, what a change in mood...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 11, 2012, 07:44:22 pm »
If you happen to play Terraria, it may amuse you to know that you can now meet Chrono in it: http://www.terrariaonline.com/threads/released-omnirs-modpacks-for-tconfig.61543/page-85

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #1092 on: May 19, 2012, 12:41:21 pm »
Apple is no longer a reliable platform for creative professionals.
http://blog.novacut.com/2012/05/perspective.html

But for what it's worth, at this point I'm personally 100% convinced that Apple is a dead-end road for creative professionals, and that Ubuntu is the creative platform of the future.

Why do I get the feeling that I'm the only person in the whole of Maharashtra state to actually agree with this, and even use Ubuntu for every form of art? XD It even feels like I'm the only person who's doing things the right way.

alfadorredux

• Entity
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Just a purple cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 19, 2012, 03:33:00 pm »
Apple was always more iffy than they looked like they were from a graphics standpoint. Macs were never the platform of choice for the really big render farms; that's always been the job of the *NIXes (or, back in the day, Silicon Graphics stations). Macs lost any edge they had in terms of graphical capability over PCs at least 15 years ago, but they've hung on in small-to-medium graphics businesses because so many people hate to learn new software (even if it operates in pretty much the same way as the old software). And the people who teach newcomers to the graphic arts learned on Macs and have never left them, so that's what they teach. Other than intertia, the only thing Apple still has going for them is their overall user interface, which they've admittedly put a lot of man-hours into.

Ubuntu and the other Linuxes have a very different set of problems, mostly centering around the fact that Linux as a desktop operating system has never really been popular in most places. Small user base means that major software firms don't produce Linux versions of their programs. Unfamiliar software means that people are afraid of switching (and to be fair, there is a lot of open-source software that, while very capable, doesn't have a very polished user interface—yes, GIMP, I'm looking at you). People afraid of switching makes for a small user base. The more firms get on the bandwagon and produce Linux versions of their software, the fewer people will waste their money on a Mac (or a Windows PC).

(Yes, I have used OSX Macs for graphics work. They didn't impress me. I actually find the unholy trinity of GIMP, Inkscape, and Scribus easier to work with than their brand-name equivalents on all but a few specific points.)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 19, 2012, 07:45:55 pm »
I've gotta hand it to the people at Ask.com. I've visited this site no less than twenty times because I keep typing "Google" too fast. That is domain name squatting done right!