Author Topic: CT Last Names  (Read 18020 times)

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: CT Last Names
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2006, 07:23:22 pm »
Or a Jesus metaphor, since Chrono Trigger came out before Star Wars Episode 1.

Besides, it's Midichlorians.

Lord Homonculous

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2006, 03:38:25 am »

It's also horrible, bad, fantastically bad and wrong. Doesn't matter if Chrono Trigger came out before Episode 1. Gina was just a single mom tryin' to make her way in the Modern Age. Where's dad? I dunno. Maybe he's dead, or maybe mom got knocked up and had to drop out of college to raise her spiky-haired lovechild. Or maybe his folks are divorced.

Meaningless corrections about the misspellings of unbelievably dumb Lucasian shroom-induced plot devices aside... the point is, I think this would be an awful, awful, awful place to take our discussion of CT's plot. I groaned in the theater -- very loudly -- during Episode 1. (so did a lot of other people) The Jesus parallel (... "metaphor?"...) just does not work because it's so bludgeoningly obtuse it drags the rest of the story down with it. It's baggage. It takes away from the story, rather than adding to it. Which is kind of the point I was making with my one-word, apparently misspelled (although I don't frankly care) reply: do we WANT the Chrono storyline to take on the color of Episode 1?... I sure don't.

Lord Homonculous

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2006, 03:42:14 am »
It's also horrible, bad, fantastically bad and wrong. Doesn't matter if Chrono Trigger came out before Episode 1. Gina was just a single mom tryin' to make her way in the Modern Age. Where's dad? I dunno. Maybe he's dead, or maybe mom got knocked up and had to drop out of college to raise her spiky-haired lovechild. Or maybe his folks are divorced.

Meaningless corrections about the misspellings of unbelievably dumb Lucasian shroom-induced plot devices aside... the point is, I think this would be an awful, awful, awful place to take our discussion of CT's plot. I groaned in the theater -- very loudly -- during Episode 1. (so did a lot of other people) The Jesus parallel (... "metaphor?"...) just does not work because it's so bludgeoningly obtuse it drags the rest of the story down with it. It's baggage. It takes away from the story, rather than adding to it. Which is kind of the point I was making with my one-word, apparently misspelled (although I don't frankly care) reply: do we WANT the Chrono storyline to take on the color of Episode 1?... I sure don't.

Also: I know my tone *might* possibly suggest it, because I'm naturally snarky, but I am NOT trolling for flames. Nothing in what I said was meant to be taken personally by ANYONE (except George Lucas, who is a hack, and should never be allowed to undertake anything creatively again, beyond perhaps directing the middle school production of Our Town ["... but George, it could never work... you're a Jedi, I'm a Senator..." "... Oh Emily... your skin is... so smooth... not like the sand of my home planet... so coarse... AHRG! I'm so angry!!!"]).

I apologize if any of the above was taken in the wrong way. (except to you, George)

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2006, 03:54:30 am »

Also: I know my tone *might* possibly suggest it, because I'm naturally snarky, but I am NOT trolling for flames. Nothing in what I said was meant to be taken personally by ANYONE (except George Lucas, who is a hack, and should never be allowed to undertake anything creatively again, beyond perhaps directing the middle school production of Our Town ["... but George, it could never work... you're a Jedi, I'm a Senator..." "... Oh Emily... your skin is... so smooth... not like the sand of my home planet... so coarse... AHRG! I'm so angry!!!"]).

I apologize if any of the above was taken in the wrong way. (except to you, George)

Oooh, you dissed George. Now he's going to put out another thousand versions of Star Wars just to spite you. After he makes Indiana Jones IV. Great going.

But joking aside, from what it looks like, the whole thing with someone having said something comparing Episode I and Chrono Trigger seems to have been a bit of a joke, from the best I can guess. Looks like ZeaLitY was just going on the defensive saying 'hey, wasn't me!'. However, the connection between Christianity and Chrono was an old idea - the Chrono Testament I think - though one I thought rather... forced.

Anyway, no, I don't think any of us want an Episode I Trigger.

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2006, 09:35:34 am »

What the? There's no Jesus parallel in Star Wars. You think it's obtuse because it IS actually obtuse in the story: it's a dodgy religious belief that was never supposed to happen. The "Messiah" legend became reality only because the Siths picked it up and used it further their own agenda: Palpatine's speech in Episode III implies that he himself (or his master Darth Plagueis) created Anakin, using the Force to manipulate life and fill his ass with midi-chlorians. This power to manipulate life is also the same power that Anakin later wanted Palpatine to use on Padmé to heal her.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2006, 12:32:28 pm »

What the? There's no Jesus parallel in Star Wars. You think it's obtuse because it IS actually obtuse in the story: it's a dodgy religious belief that was never supposed to happen. The "Messiah" legend became reality only because the Siths picked it up and used it further their own agenda: Palpatine's speech in Episode III implies that he himself (or his master Darth Plagueis) created Anakin, using the Force to manipulate life and fill his ass with midi-chlorians. This power to manipulate life is also the same power that Anakin later wanted Palpatine to use on Padmé to heal her.
uh, no. that's completely wrong.

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2006, 12:56:55 pm »
Your reasoning is fascinating.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2006, 05:00:12 pm »
what reasoning. its wrong. the sith didn't even know of ani till maybe episode 2.
the speech palpatine made was "he mastered control over death, but was posioned and killed." not "I made you."

ChronoMagus

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2006, 05:56:45 pm »
Yeah... the speech was more of the generic, "I can save whatever you desire... simply accept the Sith..."  not some master plot of evil with the creation of some sort of Anti-Christ...

Chrono'99

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2006, 06:23:11 pm »
what reasoning. its wrong. the sith didn't even know of ani till maybe episode 2.
the speech palpatine made was "he mastered control over death, but was posioned and killed." not "I made you."

Yeah, the Sith didn't know about him until Ep. 2... and Palpatine was a Republican, wasn't a Sith and was actually a good guy until Ep.3  :roll:

And of course he didn't say outright to Anakin that he was his creator. He let let everyone believe that Anakin was the Chosen One etc., that was much more convincing than to tell him he manipulated him and was his creator. In the script, he was actually telling him, but Lucas scrapped that scene to make it more subtle and ambiguous so that if you want to believe Anakin is Jesus, that also works.

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2006, 08:28:36 pm »
There's no real evidence for or against it, but it's one of my favorite theories.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2006, 08:38:14 pm »

Yeah, the Sith didn't know about him until Ep. 2... and Palpatine was a Republican, wasn't a Sith and was actually a good guy until Ep.3  :roll:

And of course he didn't say outright to Anakin that he was his creator. He let let everyone believe that Anakin was the Chosen One etc., that was much more convincing than to tell him he manipulated him and was his creator. In the script, he was actually telling him, but Lucas scrapped that scene to make it more subtle and ambiguous so that if you want to believe Anakin is Jesus, that also works.
yeah... where exactly did you get this info at?

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2006, 08:49:21 pm »
It's actually fairly well-known in the SW community.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2006, 09:27:17 pm »
like I said: where did you get this info?

Lord Homonculous

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2006, 02:47:34 am »
like I said: where did you get this info?

... More importantly... why are we analyzing the utterly boned New Trilogy like it's anything resembling literature?  :-p  You know what the best thing about the new star wars is?

Lego Star Wars.

Oh yes.

You know why?

No dialogue.

OH YES!