Author Topic: Experimenting with the time gates.  (Read 2696 times)

Locuster

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Experimenting with the time gates.
« on: September 19, 2004, 06:05:23 am »
Okay, I came upon a number of ideas on some of the fundamental properties of the time gates while writing my story.  Bear with me on this, as it is long, and my mind does crazy things sometimes.  I find it easier to get across my viewpoints by using a number of "experiments".

Let's assume, for the sake of the experiments, that I am: immortal, in possession of a gate key, and implanted in the CT timeline in the year 1000 AD before Lavos is destroyed.

Experiment #1:
I head to Leene Square and hang out by the time gate that leads to the Middle Ages.  In all my immortal glory, I keep my eyes on the time gate for the next 999 years, until the Day of Lavos, when I get scared, open up the time gate, and jump through.  Where do I end up?
A) In the year 1599 AD, since the other end was at a 400 year difference toward the past.
B) In the year 600 AD, the original temporal location of the other end.
C) There is no time gate there in the year 1999 AD, dummy!  The timegate in Truce Canyon/Leene Square only exists in the years 600 AD and 1000 AD.
D) None of the above.

Experiment #2
Instead of doing experiment #1, I jump through the time gate to the year 600.  Once again, in all my immortal glory, I hang around for the next 400 years until the year 1000 AD, making sure to keep my eye on the time gate even more carefully this time.  Then, I jump in.  Where do I end up?
A) In the year 1400 AD, since the other end was at a 400 year difference toward the future.
B) In the year 600 AD, where the 1000 AD portal always goes to.
C) There is no gate in the year 1000, dummy!--- err, wait - there is.  Never mind.  Don't pick this answer.
D) None of the above.

Experiment #3
Opting to not travel at all, I hand my gate key to Robo before he sets off to replant Fiona's forest.  I tell him to take a break after 100 years of planting and come visit, before heading back and finishing the rest.  He does this.  What happens to Robo when he re-enters the Truce Canyon time gate in the year 700 AD?
A) He ends up in the year 1100 AD, 400 years later, and is sad because all his friends are dead.  So he hops back through the portal to the year 700 AD and finishes planting.
B) He ends up back in the year 1000 AD and spends some quality time with his friends.  But returning through the gate, he travels back to the year 600, and has to hide for the next 100 years until his past self takes the break he just took, and then resumes planting.
C) There is no gate in the year 700 AD, dummy!  A sad and confused Robo just goes back to planting.
D) You have way too much time on your hands thinking up all of this stuff.

I believe the answer to be D for each, unless you guys think otherwise.  I have a more specific answer, but you have to keep reading.  :twisted:

The time gates obviously flow with the passage of time.  They have to, as the Chrono crew can access them whenever they wish.  And they don't just exist in the relative present.  Just as a tree will exist at every point in time during its life span, so too do the gates exist at every point in time during their life spans (until Lavos is destroyed, Gaspar seals the gates, whatever the current theory is).  Assuming this is the original CT timeline, a time gate that exists at a specific location must exist at every point in time during its life span at that location.

Theoretically, if the gates exist at every point in time, one would be able to access every point in time, using the time gate to connect one point of existence to another.  Yet this is not the case.  Instead of being open-ended gates, the gates act as 2-point wormholes, for instance, the gate that links 600 AD to 1000 AD.  That begs the question, what causes the 2-point effect?
A) The Entity forces the Chrono crew to exit at certain spots in time in order to guide them on their journey.  How convenient.
B) ..... is there another possible explanation?
C) Yup, there is.  The time gates don't actually cause time travel; they cause dimensional travel.
D)  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock: what???  You're a dummy.

Maybe, just maybe, that whenever the Chrono crew travels through the gate, they don't travel in time within their own timeline, they travel to a different dimension that happens to be lined up at a different time period.  Who says that dimensions have to be lined up all perfectly neat and tidy right next to each other, where 1000 AD in one dimension lines up right next to the 1000 AD's in the infinite number of other dimensions?

What if, the time-space continuum doesn't look like the inside of a piano, where all the strings are neatly parallel to each other.  What if, it instead looks like a giant bowl of spaghetti.  Yes, spaghetti, where each strand of spaghetti is an infintely long timeline representing a dimension.  They tangle, curl and loop around, and make contact with each other at certain specific locations and times.  These points of contact are where the barriers within the dimensions are the weakest, and only a little nudge from an extra something can allow travel between the dimensions.  For example, Truce Canyon/Leene Square - 600 AD/1000 AD.

This theory first popped into my head while writing my story, trying to figure out why Chrono travels through the time gate to rescue Marle not one minute after she left, only to find she had been whisked away already to the palace - probably days later.  That would mean the rate of time in 600 AD is faster than it is in 1000 AD.  But why?
A) The planet's velocity has slowed down somehow since then, thus its relative time-rate is slower.
B) The Entity did it.
C) Marle and Chrono travelled dimensionally rather than temporally, and that dimension's rate of time is faster.
D) Enough with these multiple choice questions already!!!

Okay, okay.... well, the next question would be how can one dimension proceed at a faster rate than another?  The answer requires an analogy.

Let's say you and I decide to go on a trip.  We both get into two separate cars, and start driving from the same point.  You head east, and I head northeast-ish, at about a 60 degree angle to you.  We both travel at 30 miles per hour.

Eventually we both hit the east coast, but you make long before I do, since you take the most direct route, and I travelled at an angle.  Your easternly speed was 30 miles per hour.  My easternly speed was only 15 miles per hour.  Yet we were both travelling at 30 miles per hour.

Likewise, the 1000 AD dimension is laid out at an angle to the 600 AD dimension, and the absolute 'arrow of time' follows more closely to the latter than to the former.  Meanwhile, the relative 'arrows of time' follow the timeline like normal.  Thus, Chrono can arrive and find that in the space of a minute, days happened.  And since the dimensions can be nearly identical due to the fact that there are an infinite number of dimensional possibilities, it would appear to everybody that they simply travelled through time - even to the gamer!

But, what happens when Chrono, Marle, and Lucca return to their original dimension.  What they changed in the Middle Ages, like with Fiona's forest, shouldn't affect the original dimension.  Or should it?

For this, I like to go back to the spaghetti model of the universe.  In fact, it is on a plate in front of you, smothered in a zesty tomato herb sauce.  But, your obnoxious baby brother decides he wants to throw a meatball at you.  A very dense meatball.  Little does he know he isn't strong enough, and it simply lands on your plate.

To the strand of spaghetti that was directly underneath, it suffered the most change, the most drastic shift in position.  The strands around it, still under the meatball but not directly under it, experience a change, though slightly less.  And as you progress away from the meatball, the changes are less and less noticeable until they are infinately small for the strands farthest away.

Likewise, changes in the dimensional structure do not occur one dimensionally - within its own timeline.  They occur three dimensionally, to all the other timelines around it.  Just like a rock thrown into a pool of water will create ripples, so too will declarations of free will ripple throughout the dimensional universe.  And this isn't just for dimensional travellers.  This is for any choice, any action, any possibility created by any resident within any dimension.  Thus, timelines that are nearby will be very similar - they experience the same "ripples".  Timelines farther away will be different.  But all possibilities are accounted for.  Once again, you look down at your plate of spaghetti, and your newly opened mind sees instead a plate of earthworms, writhing and twisting about each other in a constant motion of change and possibility.  It makes you sick to your stomach and you vomit.

Or who knows, maybe you vomitted because I just told you there could possibly have been no time travel in Chrono Trigger.  Though I'd like to hear your thoughts on this in any case.   :P   Thanks for listening to me!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 11:39:07 am »
From the axioms (I assume these questions take place before Crono defeats Lavos, so the Gates aren't shut down):

#1:

A

#2:

A

#3:

A

The dimensions are infinitely restrictive in terms of mechanics, so that proposal is pretty much impossible. Dimensional travel is like a cosmic no-no that was only possible under the split dimensions, and by only one person.

As for Crono and Marle, Crono had to mess around Truce and Truce Canyon and fight for awhile, while Marle had an uninterrupted journey straight to the palace where she probably put on the outfit and was summoned.

Determining the Destination of Time Travel via Epoch and Time Gates
warmgun, TheUnknowuser_

Time Gates and Epoch have the unique ability of knowing a person's personal time. These things know how long a person has spent in certain times. These devices work under the following principle:

“At time X, a person enters Epoch and chooses a certain time, Y, on Epoch's dial, where |X-Y| = Z. In time Y, the person stays for a certain duration, T so now Y=Y+T. When he chooses time X from Epoch's dial, it does not take him to time X. It takes him to time Y+Z. So the total amount of time this person just traveled from time Y is Z. This quantity, Z, is constant. Likewise, when this person enters a time gate, the same rules apply. The only difference is that Z cannot be chosen from a dial, it is inherent to the time gate and is constant.”

Granted, this may seem overly technical, but it provides great insight. For example, this rule proves that time MUST flow a the End of Time. While Epoch has it listed as infinity(inf), the time gates and Epoch treat time travel to and from it as inf-Z and inf+Z. In other words, time flows."

The Z quantity answers your multiple choice questions -- a Gate takes its users back according to a constant year. The Fair/Truce Canyon has a Z constant of 400.

Also, there is some work on the thought that time flows somewhat faster in various time periods:

Reletavistic Time Flow Principle
GrayLensman

The rate of time in each time period should not be the same. Relativistic effects produced by changes in the earth and sun's velocity would result in minute time dilations. Thus, each time period would have its own relative time rate, dependent on relativistic factors.

This introduces a further complexity to the "Determining the Destination of Time Travel" axiom. Time Gate apertures and Epoch destinations follow the natural flow of time in their era, but since the time rate of each time period is unique, there would be a discrepancy in the translation of both ends of a Gate into the future.

For example, if Crono were to warp from 1000 AD to 400 years in the past, the time he spent in 600 AD is not necessarily the same as the time he was away from 1000 AD. Luckily, Crono could not return to 1000 AD before he left, so there is no worry about causality.

For most time periods this discrepancy should be very small, perhaps on the order of seconds. However, 65 million BC might experience a significant time dilation.

Support

Aitrus: Motion and mass have affects on the speed of time. As a simple example, a ball bounced on a train takes longer to bounce to someone on the station platform than to someone on the train with it.

GrayLensman: Crono could never return to 1000 AD before he left, so there is no worry about causality.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 02:54:06 pm »
If we applied my Time-Error theory, we'd get CBCDD. The reason it plays out this way is that Crono eventually ends up defeating Lavos within a very short time--maybe a couple of weeks--(from his relative perspective), so all these gates would be closed up at that point in Time-error. Therefore, while Robo is waiting around in 600 AD, he would see the gate wink out after a couple weeks. 400 years later, a new, different gate would appear at that spot.

This might raise some questions about causality if you look at Robo seeing exactly when the gates disappear before it's determined when* Crono defeats Lavos. It works out, though, if the entity set up the gates beforehand to last a certain amount of time, knowing this was as much as Crono would need to defeat Lavos.

Swordmaster

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 11:52:34 pm »
Just to help in the discussion:
Quote from: CC Script

Computer: Let's see... In the 11th Century, a scientist by the name of Lucca indicated
the possibility of time travel through the use of a "Time Egg," which utilizes miniature
black holes. Whether this could actually be possible or not is still the subject of
intense debate and no conclusions have been made.
[A hologram of a black hole appears.]
Computer: According to her theory, by rotating a single point of supergravity, space-time
continua can be drawn in... thus making it possible to transform that singular point
which pulls in everything else, into a ring formation.  Using this ring as a Gate between
dimensions, it should be possible to travel back and forth between various space-time.
[The hologram vanishes.]
Ghost: I've heard that the Time Egg already existed during the legendary, ancient
dynasty.

Locuster

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 01:48:45 am »
I don't honestly believe that the theory I presented holds true for the game.  Chrono Trigger was intended to be about time travel, and the plot holes/inconsistencies were just not considered when the primary objective was to make an enjoyable game.  My attempt is merely one of conjecture, trying to find a way to explain the information presented in the game with as simple a theory as possible under the limitations of real-world physics.  While mine has its holes as well, it does negate the need for many different theories to cover up the exceptions, and is just plain interesting to think about... (at least in my opinion  :D )

Quote from: ZeaLitY
Dimensional travel is like a cosmic no-no that was only possible under the split dimensions, and by only one person.

I actually think the opposite, that dimensional travel is more possible than time travel.  What has happened has happened.  Sadly, according to modern physics, in no way, shape, or form can someone physically translocate himself into the past.  It is possible to travel to the future, in a way, by merely boarding a spaceship and travelling at ultra-fast speeds.  For example, a speed-of-light trip to the Andromeda system and back would take about 8 hours, though you would return to an Earth 6 million years in the future.  Ouch.

Dimensional travel is different.  With the advent of String Theory, scientists presume that there are not 3 spacial dimensions; there are 10.  11 space-time dimensions if you count time.  Yet we are only aware of 3: height, width, and depth.  Where are the other 7?  A number of theories have been postulated, and I'm not liking the most common one, that they are just way too small to detect.  I do like the theory for numbers 4, 5, and 6: that they are the height, width, and depth between dimensions.  If you think about our universe and our timeline as a 1 dimensional string, we could move to an adjacent 1 dimensional string by moving in one of the higher-number spacial dimensions.  How to do that is a mystery, but it would involve gravity, as gravitons are the only particle that can travel outside of our limited 3 dimensional space.  Like...

Quote from: Swordmaster
Computer: According to her theory, by rotating a single point of supergravity, space-time continua can be drawn in... thus making it possible to transform that singular point which pulls in everything else, into a ring formation. Using this ring as a Gate between dimensions, it should be possible to travel back and forth between various space-time.

...that.

As for Crono and Marle, Crono had to mess around Truce and Truce Canyon and fight for awhile, while Marle had an uninterrupted journey straight to the palace where she probably put on the outfit and was summoned.

Now we get into an issue of plot convenience.  If I were a pretty pretty princess ( :twisted: ) after having been torn from reality and deposited unceremoniously into a deep dark forest, the first thing I would do is panic, be in disbelief, or both.  I would try and figure out what happened, probably shouting for Chrono and Lucca, or anybody.  Then, these ugly things would jump out and try and kill me, and I'd end up running and screaming like a schoolgirl to who knows where.  At some point, I'd run into a patrol who'd think I was Queen Leene.  I'd think they're crazy people, they'd think I went mad, and a struggle would ensue until I was either forced to the palace or I caught on and began acting like I was Leene.

If Marle did end up having a speedy, uninterrupted journey to the castle, well, I suppose this ends there.  But it just feels too convenient for me.

The rate of time in each time period should not be the same. Relativistic effects produced by changes in the earth and sun's velocity would result in minute time dilations. Thus, each time period would have its own relative time rate, dependent on relativistic factors.

I don't like this idea much either.  An object in motion will stay in motion until acted upon by an outside force.  Between the two time periods, an outside force would have to have decreased the velocity of the sun and the earth, if the sun and the earth are moving through space at all.  Any force strong enough to do that would probably be strong enough to fling the earth out of orbit, rearrange the solar system, etc.

As for the Time Error theory, it is a brilliant means to explaining how the Chrono crew can travel through time and not worry about running into themselves.  I only see two possible exceptions to the rule.  The first is when Marle, then Chrono, then Lucca all enter the gate at the beginning of the game at different times.  They all have different variables for T, thus, they should be staggered when returning to 1000 AD.  The second is that Robo should never be able to see himself planting Fiona's forest.  He has a T+400 years over everybody else, and his travels through time should correspond to it.

Quote from: Leebot
If we applied my Time-Error theory, we'd get CBCDD. The reason it plays out this way is that Crono eventually ends up defeating Lavos within a very short time--maybe a couple of weeks--(from his relative perspective), so all these gates would be closed up at that point in Time-error. Therefore, while Robo is waiting around in 600 AD, he would see the gate wink out after a couple weeks. 400 years later, a new, different gate would appear at that spot.

This theory follows too closely with fate in the fate vs. free will argument.  It claims that Chrono will defeat Lavos, and the time gates will be closed, even before they do it.  When I say that the experiments were conducted before the destruction of Lavos, I don't just mean before the event occurs on that universe's timeline (1000 AD < 1999 AD).  I mean before the event occurs on the multi-dimensional timeline, indicated by the absolute 'arrow of time'.  In that timeline, Lavos has not been destroyed, and the gates will not disappear until Chrono embarks on his quest.  Thus, the destroyed future exists on that timeline.

Thanks for entertaining my ramblings!  It really gets my brain cooking.

Leebot

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
    • View Profile
    • Infophilia
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 04:11:12 pm »
Quote from: Locuster
As for the Time Error theory, it is a brilliant means to explaining how the Chrono crew can travel through time and not worry about running into themselves. I only see two possible exceptions to the rule. The first is when Marle, then Chrono, then Lucca all enter the gate at the beginning of the game at different times. They all have different variables for T, thus, they should be staggered when returning to 1000 AD. The second is that Robo should never be able to see himself planting Fiona's forest. He has a T+400 years over everybody else, and his travels through time should correspond to it.

A little bit of clarification on Time-Error: the people traveling don't have any innate connection to time-error themselves, it's the gates (and epoch) that have a time-error clock running in the background. (What you're describing there is closer to the individual time theory.) The theory working this way actually gets around both "flaws" you pointed out:

1) The fact that Crono, Marle, and Lucca arrived in 600 AD at different times is irrelevant. They all enter a gate at the same time-error when they leave, and exit at the same time-error (and thus time).

2) When Robo is left in 600 AD, he reenters whichever portal in 1000 AD at the time-error of that new portal, the same as the rest of the party, so he ends up wherever they do.

Aside: The inspiration for Time-Error was CT's in-game clock.

Quote from: Locuster
Quote from: Leebot

This theory follows too closely with fate in the fate vs. free will argument. It claims that Chrono will defeat Lavos, and the time gates will be closed, even before they do it. When I say that the experiments were conducted before the destruction of Lavos, I don't just mean before the event occurs on that universe's timeline (1000 AD < 1999 AD). I mean before the event occurs on the multi-dimensional timeline, indicated by the absolute 'arrow of time'. In that timeline, Lavos has not been destroyed, and the gates will not disappear until Chrono embarks on his quest. Thus, the destroyed future exists on that timeline.

We have to keep in mind that in both games, someone set out for all of this to happen. In CT, the planet (presumably) created the gates at/to certain times so Crono would be able to defeat Lavos. In CC, Belthasar set up an even more convoluted series of events to free Schala. Seems to be a pretty strong indication of fate here. Even if it doesn't work out quite this well, consider Robo's perspective watching the Gate at Truce (he got finished planting early): He watches, the gate stays there for 400 years, and is then overwritten by the 1000 AD gate. He goes off and defeats Lavos (who needs Crono?), goes back to 1000 AD, and the gate closes. All gates close at this time-error. Why does he remember it staying there for 400 years? Same ol' same ol', time travelers are protected from their own actions altering their past.

Next mission for the Chrono Compendium: Bring to justice whoever it was who assassinated the Heisenburg Uncertainty Principle.

You know, this idea is just insane enough that I may have to write a fanfic about it...

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 11:29:08 pm »
Upon Skimming:

1. Wouldn't the traveler also need the Pendant as well, not the Gate Key alone, to open a Gate?

2. Wasn't Marle found up in the mountains? I thought there was mention of this by some NPC...

Daggart

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2004, 02:12:45 am »
consider Robo's perspective watching the Gate at Truce (he got finished planting early): He watches, the gate stays there for 400 years, and is then overwritten by the 1000 AD gate. He goes off and defeats Lavos (who needs Crono?), goes back to 1000 AD, and the gate closes. All gates close at this time-error.

Just an interesting side note. That could explain why Robo is the one that theorizes the existance of an Entity.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 04:04:41 pm »
That doesn't make sense though because how would Robo have opened any gate w/o Crono & Co's Gate Key & Pendant?

GreenGannon

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 01:09:47 pm »
Yeah, if he was able to, the party wouldn't have ended up at the End of Time to begin with.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 01:47:56 pm »
Quote from: V_Translanka
Upon Skimming:

1. Wouldn't the traveler also need the Pendant as well, not the Gate Key alone, to open a Gate?

2. Wasn't Marle found up in the mountains? I thought there was mention of this by some NPC...

1. No, Crono retained possesion of the pendant when he went through the original gate if I remember correctly. So Lucca would have never been able to follow Crono into the gate.

2. Yes, several Trucians (or whatever you would call them) say that the "Queen" wsa found wandering around in the mountains.

razor's edge

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2005, 03:11:07 pm »
Well, in the entry of the first gate, by Marle, then Crono, then Lucca, there's a possible variable that I think accounts for the difference in arrival times.
1st--Marle enters the Truce gate, but drops her pendant, which, combined with the teleporter energy, opened the gate.
2nd--Crono enters the Truce gate, holds onto the pendant, which, combined with the teleporter energy, opened the gate.
3rd--Lucca enters the Truce gate, using the gate key, which opens the gate without the need of the teleporter energy(unless such energy is held within the gate key itself.

1.Marle has neither the pendant or the gate key when she enters.
2.Crono has the pendant but not the gate key when he enters.
3.Lucca has the gate key but not the pendany when she enters.
After this, all time travel by Crono & Co is while they have the gate key and the pendant--except for when Lucca goes back to save her mother, which probably only utilized the gate key.

Therefore, considering the power of the pendant and the power of the gate key, a different arrival time for each person's first trip through the Truce gate is more plausible.

And I think the gates existance relative to Lavos follows along with the Pocket Dimension theory. When Lavos was defeated in his pocket dimension, he was defeated for all time periods, and so, when his pocket dimension disappears, so do the gates disappear, in all periods.

SilentMartyr

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chronotrigger.info
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2005, 03:28:34 pm »
Quote from: razor's edge
Well, in the entry of the first gate, by Marle, then Crono, then Lucca, there's a possible variable that I think accounts for the difference in arrival times.
1st--Marle enters the Truce gate, but drops her pendant, which, combined with the teleporter energy, opened the gate.
2nd--Crono enters the Truce gate, holds onto the pendant, which, combined with the teleporter energy, opened the gate.
3rd--Lucca enters the Truce gate, using the gate key, which opens the gate without the need of the teleporter energy(unless such energy is held within the gate key itself.

1.Marle has neither the pendant or the gate key when she enters.
2.Crono has the pendant but not the gate key when he enters.
3.Lucca has the gate key but not the pendany when she enters.
After this, all time travel by Crono & Co is while they have the gate key and the pendant--except for when Lucca goes back to save her mother, which probably only utilized the gate key.

I don't think the actual energy from the teleporter is used, for such a small device it would seem kind of rediculous to be able to store that much energy. It is more of the logic behind the teleporter that makes the gate key. Probably one of the key parts of the teleporter was transfered into the key, and maybe a ignition source to open the gate.  

The gate "opened" by the teleporter itself stayed open longer than the gates opened by the gate key. It wasn't much longer but it was long enough for Lucca to tell Crono what to do.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 01:57:58 am »
Questions raised:

1. What is the life of the Gates?

~

1. Gate Life

Inquiry

Several Gates exist in the world to facilitate Crono's quest in defeating Lavos. But do the Gates terminate after a certain period? While the nature of the Gates dictate that they always project the user the same period of time forward or backward in history, do the Gates themselves exist for all time?

Theories

Time Error Clock

Leebot

The Gates have a set lifetime defined by Time Error (that is, from the perspective of the End of Time). For instance, to avoid any temporal mishaps throughout history, such as other people finding the Gates and using them, the Entity anticipated that Crono and his group would only take a few weeks or months to defeat Lavos, and accordingly phased the Gates out at a certain time after its expectation for the completion of the quest. Once Crono actually finished, the Entity closed the Gates arbitrarily, as they were then definitively no longer needed.

Misconceptions

Geographical Inaccessibility

The main problem here is that the Gates don't exist in other eras where spatially they should sit. However, each Gate is also presumably located in an inaccessible or nonexistent spot of land throughout the eras. To explain, take the Gate in Guardia Forest, 1000 A.D. In 65000000 B.C., that Gate might exist, but it may not be found anywhere or may simply hover above the ocean. It could also exist within a cliff face or lava flow; the party would never see it. The Gate at the Bangor Dome may sit several feet above the ground level of 1000 A.D. and other eras, due to sedimentary build-up. This can be applied to every Gate except interestingly the Truce Canyon / Leene Square Gate, which appear to be in the same area and can be interpreted as one Gate (with simply two openings on the other side of 400 years). With geographical inaccessibility considered, the Gates might actually exist in every era.

The only problem is, who determines what end of the Gate potential entrants are in when they access a Gate? What would determine whether someone entering the Tyrano Lair Gate in 30000000 B.C. went 65000000 B.C. into the past or the future? This is problematic, as if anyone entered the Gate in a strange era, he or she could potentially disrupt history on a huge scale.

~

Please note that I have not included Locuster's inquiry on Marle's transformation to appear as Queen Leene in 600 A.D. I believe it is reasonable that Marle could be taken by a search party who was in the area directly to Guardia Castle and outfitted as a queen, while it would take Crono several minutes or hours to get his bearings or fight at the canyon.

AuraTwilight

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 08:47:04 pm »
The only problem is, who determines what end of the Gate potential entrants are in when they access a Gate? What would determine whether someone entering the Tyrano Lair Gate in 30000000 B.C. went 65000000 B.C. into the past or the future? This is problematic, as if anyone entered the Gate in a strange era, he or she could potentially disrupt history on a huge scale.

Simple. The Gates are connected to the other end of where they come out.