Author Topic: Has the cover of the japanese release of Chrono Cross ever been translated?  (Read 171 times)

Beach Bum

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
On the back of the english release, the game is called the sequel to Chrono Trigger. This to me is pretty dumb, as several developers of the game have gone on record to say it’s not a sequel, including Masato Kato. I wonder if it says something similar on the back of the japanese release? Was the “sequel to Chrono Trigger” thing made up by the localization and/or marketing team?

trig

• Level ** (100)
    • View Profile
Assuming covers at thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=10208. (Seems like our Chrono Cross doesn't have Japanese. By the way I noticed also that Chrono Trigger is missing a thumb for its rear art.)

It looks like the rear art was totally redesigned for the English versions. By glancing over it I think the Japanese version does not mention Chrono Trigger (クロノ・トリガー).
At GameFAQs someone offered a translation:
"A very similar but subtly different world.
Why did this parallel world come to be?
As people's dual lives start crossing over between dimensions and get intertwined,
the boy that's in the middle of it all learns of his true destiny.
A grand adventure across dimensions with a cast of over 40 playable characters.
Cross-sequence battles [sic] with an incredible presence.
We present the planet's dreams at an unprecedented scale."

This was a funny exchange:
trig: would you be able to transcribe some Japanese text from an image?
Copilot: Certainly! Please go ahead and upload the image with the Japanese text, and I’ll do my best to transcribe it for you.
trig: thanks! here it is.
Copilot: Certainly! Let’s transcribe the Japanese text from the image:
    とてもよく練って、それでいてどこか新鮮な香りがするお酒。 ハンブルゴールドは、なにせ生まれたの。 人々が生きるあたりの人生は、永遠完璧まであがらぬ その命に対して、少年は自分の意識を有る。 数百40名以上のパーティイベントによる、永遠完璧まで育成。 圧倒的な画像感覚を武器す ウロス・シーケンス・バル。 空間のスケールで この意味を語ろう。
The text appears to be poetic and contemplative. Here’s the transcription in English:
    “A well-crafted sake with a fresh aroma. Humburgold, born for something. The lives of people around us never reach eternal perfection. In response to that existence, the young boy possesses his own consciousness. Through countless party events, we nurture toward eternal perfection. Let’s discuss this meaning with an overwhelming sense of imagery, the Uros Sequence Bar, on a spatial scale.”
If you need further assistance or clarification, feel free to ask!
trig: thanks for your effort. it looks like a lot of the kanji and even some katakana were not correctly recognized. but i will use your transcription as a template for further work.
Copilot: You're welcome! I apologize for any inaccuracies in the transcription. Japanese kanji can indeed be quite intricate, and I appreciate your understanding. If you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to ask. Good luck with your work!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 12:23:49 pm by trig »