Author Topic: is it really time traveling?  (Read 1599 times)

satchel_dawg

is it really time traveling?
« on: June 04, 2007, 04:41:29 pm »
it has been stated by many scientist that time can only go one way, which is forward, and it is impossible to make it go backwords, but ofcourse the time travel presented in Chrono Trigger is somewhat different then real time travel.

time travel is impossible, with a few exceptions.
the time travel seen in ct is mearly traveling throug worm holes, so technically they do not travel throught time in the traditional way of reversing time.

so it is traveling through time, but only when a entryway is present.

Kyronea

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: is it really time traveling?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 06:48:22 pm »
it has been stated by many scientist that time can only go one way, which is forward, and it is impossible to make it go backwords, but ofcourse the time travel presented in Chrono Trigger is somewhat different then real time travel.
If you are referring to the flow of time, then it is impossible. Time travel, however, does not involve reversing the flow of time--as that would be pointless since no one would remember anything--but stepping outside of time at one point and stepping back at another point, much like, say, going off of a highway onto a service road then going back onto the highway.
time travel is impossible, with a few exceptions.
Such as relativity, going faster than the speed of light, manipulating wormholes, ect ect.
the time travel seen in ct is mearly traveling throug worm holes, so technically they do not travel throught time in the traditional way of reversing time.
Since reversing time is by no means the traditional method of time travel, you are mistaken. They are performing a somewhat atypiical method of time travel, albiet one closer to scientific principles than most forms.
so it is traveling through time, but only when a entryway is present.
Of course it is traveling through time. I fail to see why anyone would think it was not time travel, considering they do end up in different eras and whatnot.

satchel_dawg

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:21:03 pm »
well i was trying to say that there are differences between the methods of time travel. the fact is that time travel can be referred to in many ways.
example:
the novel The Time Machine
by H.G. Wells
in that praticular novel, time travel was the reversing of time and events.
so chrono trigger instead of reversing time, mearly jumps to random times through the force of the gates.
gate do take them through time but not in the way of any specific date that a person would want to visit, only certain and specific times that are essesntial to a flow of time.
so really ct time traveling isn't realy time traveling, it's more of time jumping.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 07:41:25 pm »
I am an avid fan of H.G. Wells and his novel "The Time Machine" and I know for a fact that time travel in that novel had nothing to do with actually altering the flow of time. The way the time machine traveled was described as though it did alter the flow of time, but that was the perception of the time traveler as he watched time about him flow at a super-rapid pace. In reality, he simply jumped. It just appeared as though he flowed throughout time, but if he had, he would have aged and died in a matter of seconds considering the speed at which time appeared to flow about him.

Time travel is essentially time jumping no matter the method. Altering the flow of time itself would be pointless, as the person manipulating the flow of time would be affected like everyone else.

satchel_dawg

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 07:49:37 pm »
I am an avid fan of H.G. Wells and his novel "The Time Machine" and I know for a fact that time travel in that novel had nothing to do with actually altering the flow of time. The way the time machine traveled was described as though it did alter the flow of time, but that was the perception of the time traveler as he watched time about him flow at a super-rapid pace. In reality, he simply jumped. It just appeared as though he flowed throughout time, but if he had, he would have aged and died in a matter of seconds considering the speed at which time appeared to flow about him.

Time travel is essentially time jumping no matter the method. Altering the flow of time itself would be pointless, as the person manipulating the flow of time would be affected like everyone else.

well he woldn't of aged because he was in the time machine which simply protected him from the vast flow of time, the time machine was speeding up and slowing down. he was traveling time by simply expierncing time at a pace he set the machine too.

however in ct they did not flow through time they simply just entered at one point and exicted at another point. there was no time flow present, just simply entering and exiting the certain era's.

Kyronea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 07:54:16 pm »
The method of time travel does not matter, as both are still traveling through time, whether it is by jumping to specific points or by shifting though it manually, so your argument is not only flawed, it is baseless.

satchel_dawg

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 07:56:52 pm »
well in a long run methods do matter, because there's a difference, being able to stop where ever you want, and being able to stop only in a specific place in time.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2007, 08:03:44 pm »

satchel_dawg

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 11:06:15 pm »

satchel_dawg

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 11:22:42 pm »
for some reason every time i post this happens. i'm probably just wording it wrong, and it always seems i get in arguments with Kyronea, i blame the question mark, it will haunt me in my sleep and follow me.
by now it's safe to say i've scared several people away.

i guess in truth time travel could refer to any measurment of time, i was just trying to point out that time traveling involves traveling throught time to a new era, not jumping over time like nothing.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2007, 01:12:05 am »
Oh; well in that case, in the Chrono series they do jump from one spot to another via the wormholes.