Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 482542 times)

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #6165 on: September 25, 2011, 01:04:50 pm »
I am frustrated at people's seemingly indiscriminate aversion to "chemicals."

I wonder if they make a drug for that...

Reminds me of the "chem trail" argument. For those who haven't run into one of these people yet, imagine having a conversation at work with a newly employed individual. You chit chat, they seem boring but fairly normal, when suddenly they ask: "So do you know what the government is doing to our air?"

I'd imagine you'd answer like I did, with a short no and a curious brow-furrowing. They will go on to explain that "con trails" (the short term for condensation trails that come from jet engines burning hot in the atmosphere, basically steaming the water right out) are actually chem trails, or chemicals streamed through the air DELIBERATELY. Why, you might ask this gent or lady who seems increasingly less normal than you'd hoped.
To poison us and CONTROL THE WEATHER.

This is not limited to a few nutty right-wingers claiming Obama's gonna kill us. This has been going on for years and years. I find it simply laughable that anyone would ever think the government could have the resources and actual ability to "control the weather" and one can't debate with the people who have the belief ingrained in their head. So here's my argument, you normal people, feel free to use it on a conspiracy-theorist: The government runs both the IRS and the postal system, and both keep messing up, sending me envelopes with IRS and some other guy's name on them, no matter how many times I try to send it back and let them know he doesn't live here. Do you (does anyone) think the American government is even competent enough to even remotely consider controlling the weather? And what does "controlling weather" mean? If we had the ability, it could have been used to raise a thick fog during 9-11 (assuming you don't think the government set that up deliberately as well)for example.

The usage of the word "government" as though it's a catch-all phrase is for another time.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6166 on: September 25, 2011, 04:20:15 pm »
I am frustrated at people's seemingly indiscriminate aversion to "chemicals."
Was that a jibe towards someone I know?

I was talking more generally, particularly in response to this Los Angeles Times article, but it's fair to include the comments in the other thread. Popular opposition to genetically modified food (quite apart from the malpractices of companies like Monsanto), and blind faith in all things "organic" and "local," are peeves of mine.
XD

Just a note: there's differences in "genetically modified" and "chemically modified", and also "blind faith" and "preferences". Hope that's clear. A man can survive on taste-less rice, but he'd undoubtedly prefer Biryani.

@MrBekkler: That's politics for ya. There's this interesting concept in Psychology that states if you repeat something often enough, no matter how false, you'd eventually come to believe it. Politicians know this and don't need any sort of evidence to support their bullshit claims, because the way they handle it makes the general public take their word for granted.

Although the way you point out, it's ironic we call "Government" even though they can't "govern shit". Ah, that's a joke anywhos -- take it or leave it. Still, weather control sounds awesome (hey, Dubai's doin' it!), but didn't Con-Trails decrease temperatures by 1 degree Celsius annually? Still, I think I oughta prepare myself for a journey towards Godhood.  :lee:

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6167 on: September 25, 2011, 10:57:48 pm »
http://getsongbird.com/
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I figured out the problem (turns out it was really basic and now I feel stupid), but thanks!

BTW, Saj, dogs aren't always the "I WUV U" kind (I was never a dog person, but thanks to Licawolf I developed curiosity towards them since the past few months). Here's what I saw today.

'Tis why I said most dogs are almost always sweet.  I've been around some pretty mean dogs.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6168 on: September 27, 2011, 10:59:15 am »
It's really sad that a lot of people feel the need to actually insult others, even if it stems from misunderstanding. And even if they realized the intentions and actions of those other people to be good, they'd still justify their need to cause more pain just to defend their ego than to reach a compromise for both party's sake and move forwards. It's sad, especially since this is also part of human defense mechanism: enough trauma and conflict can make a person switch to "survival mode" wherein they fire in all directions just to save themselves, even if their loved ones are in the vicinity. I can understand that one person's hurt, but what's the point of blindly hurting others regardless of their innocence? One person's scar should not be a reason to scar another innocent, because then the cycle of conflict and pain will never end.

To top it all, what also sickens me is how people approach to establishing "empathy": no, they don't approach with love, rather the opposite -- by causing conflict, a highly impractical and ridiculous method. You can't establish empathy by disregarding it, you can't win "love" by holding a gun to someone's head and asking them to love. Hate breeds hate, and the same goes for love.

If you really want the world to love and understand then begin loving and understanding. There's no better alternative. One love breeds another. One butterfly causes a chain of tornadoes.

That said, prejudice is a dire enemy of any and every artist. As you know that every artist has his/her own style, even though occasionally they experiment beyond what they're capable of. But some people disregard, or downright insult, their art and refrain from observing the sheer beauty and ingenuity of it just because they do not prefer that style. Sigh...

Why don't people understand the value of adventurous creativity? Why can't people go beyond the safety of their mindsets and observe the unnatural world beyond without being insulted? Why can't people value beauty at its finest? Why are people so restricted by their views that they fail to see the wonders beneath their noses?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 11:09:10 am by tushantin »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6169 on: September 27, 2011, 02:05:53 pm »
You can't establish empathy by disregarding it, you can't win "love" by holding a gun to someone's head and asking them to love.

Alas, you can. It's called Stockholm Syndrome. If there is any human trait that can outdistance our ability to hate everything without reason, then it is our ability to love everything without reason.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6170 on: September 27, 2011, 02:55:56 pm »
I rather think that questioning things with reason can outdistance both of those. =)

Curiosity is bigger than love. The latter fits inside the former, but nay the other way. This might seem counterintuitive at first, but remember how one falls in love to begin with.

Then again, that's a highly debatable assertion...

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6171 on: September 27, 2011, 03:09:41 pm »
You can't establish empathy by disregarding it, you can't win "love" by holding a gun to someone's head and asking them to love.

Alas, you can. It's called Stockholm Syndrome. If there is any human trait that can outdistance our ability to hate everything without reason, then it is our ability to love everything without reason.
XDDD I'm aware of Stockholm Syndrome (I'm a huge fan of James Hadley Chase - No Orchids For Miss Blandish, which was also the very first novel I ever read). But I mean proper love, not the result of fear, misjudgment, abuse, yadda yadda, and I'm against winning someone's heart and trust via Stockholm Syndrome; it's inhumane.

My point was that you couldn't value love at its finest unless you begin loving. In a proper Utopia you shouldn't have the need of a weapon.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6172 on: September 27, 2011, 03:32:39 pm »
Sorry, I was mostly being amusing, though I think most the time I am just amusing to myself :P I understood what you meant, Tush, but I was just offering a different perspective, one that is both discouraging and encouraging at the same time.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #6173 on: September 27, 2011, 08:46:32 pm »
Didn't get a job that I was a strong pick for. It wasn't their core business, but they were involved in auditing certain Christian non-profits, and so I imagine my lack of professing a strong affiliation with a church to one of the interviewing partners is what put the nail in the coffin. Ah well. In God We Rust. At least I won't have to stomach first-hand the utter, pitiful jokes that are these Christian organizations. How sad that "pastor" is a popular career choice in America. I wish faith could be thrown into the sea, along with care for a supposed afterlife.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6174 on: September 27, 2011, 10:02:41 pm »
Sorry, I was mostly being amusing, though I think most the time I am just amusing to myself :P I understood what you meant, Tush, but I was just offering a different perspective, one that is both discouraging and encouraging at the same time.

You're amusing to me. That's one more person ;-)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #6175 on: September 28, 2011, 12:15:15 am »

You're amusing to me. That's one more person ;-)

Yes, you typically amuse me as well whenever I decide to pop up around here. So that's three-for-three.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6176 on: September 28, 2011, 05:49:59 am »
Oh my GOD Draco, please please please stop making a racket in your cage.  I am trying to dick around online do work in peace.

I love you dearly but urrrgh just go back to sleep.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: September 28, 2011, 05:51:31 am »
Sometimes it is frustrating to write people off.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: September 28, 2011, 01:25:51 pm »
I was just unexpectedly betrayed.

I should have known better.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)