Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 482521 times)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #5580 on: February 18, 2011, 07:13:18 pm »
Damn, really sorry it turned out like that Tushantin. Hah, I have a hard time keeping up with your voracious knowledge of new file sharing and art technology, so it's no wonder the school headmaster doesn't have a clue why you're doing what you're doing. That was a deplorable response on her part though, as far as I understand how everything went down; it's always been my experience that teachers and profs side with those who put the most work into a project, rather than blame them when things fall apart.

The specific expectations of your field being as they are, and the infrastructure of your area of residence being as it is, it sounds as if your institution could benefit students by providing off-campus resources for communication and production. What struck me most is that you have to ride for miles on a bicycle to get where you need to go. Here in the US we make jokes about how people used to have to go "uphill, both ways" to get anywhere, but in your case that's actually true. :cry:

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #5581 on: February 18, 2011, 09:11:13 pm »
Wow, tushantin, that really sucks, man. In my experience in my field, mediocre and unreliable work mates exist everywhere, that cannot be helped. That's the people who live by the law of least effort, and it's a pain to be in charge of them, you have to be over their shoulder all the time for them to do their jobs, like children  :?   What really shocks me is the reaction of your headmistress, I mean seriously? how can she be complaining about someone willing invest more effort, willing to work around limitations, even when not required to? that sounds like the kind of behavior that should be encouraged...

Because they know their business sounds like they got stuck in their Pentium 4s, while the rest of the business kept moving forward but they refuse to acknowledge it.

Oh, well. Sometimes is better to work alone, let's hope that would force your team to organize and learn to do their work.

I have never tried Sugarcane juice, i think i'll look for some, thanks 8)

@GenesisOne: yeah, chicken pox is a pain  :cry: I went to the doctor and apparently the dizzines was due to the medication for the infection, I got a new prescription and I'm feeling better, thanks!

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #5582 on: February 19, 2011, 12:48:15 am »
I hate people who milk the system and are just plain lazy. Why does my hard earned money have to pay for their stupidity and laziness...

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: February 19, 2011, 05:20:46 am »
I am so glad I'm immune to the chicken pox...it sounds like hell.

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5584 on: February 19, 2011, 10:50:07 am »
I remember a quote: Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. It's often when our superiors just want to rule people with iron-clad decisions, and as the students grow up they completely lack the ability to adapt to complex situations, solve problems and introduce better and more convenient way to do things. For instance, the method our teachers use to properly rig a humanoid body explains how to rig a two-legged model but not something complex like a buffalo or a spider; in fact, it makes it even difficult to find the answer on our own, especially when we've got better ideas.

@FaustWolf: I really don't know how explain the flaws and offer convenient advise to my own teachers, especially when they don't want to listen. They take our silence as a cue that everything's okay, and it's wrong for them to ask something of me and later decide they never said anything. Tell me: does a student need to work like a sheep, or break all rules, dreaming of grand, innovative ways to finish his task?

@Licawolf: She may be knowledgeable, but she doesn't have the capability to learn or even refuses it outright. Those that aren't capable of learning, no matter how smart in any area, are deemed stupid/unintelligent. I've lost all respect for them.  :roll:

Got a call from one of my team members who was concerned. She's begging me not to leave the team because otherwise the team would fall apart. I really don't know what to do.

I hate people who milk the system and are just plain lazy. Why does my hard earned money have to pay for their stupidity and laziness...
Haha, see? Of course, we could always just ignore the hype and simply not buy what we don't need. Unless you mean something else, of course.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5585 on: February 20, 2011, 05:45:05 am »
God, I see.

That has to be horrible. I've been in that position before, but never on such a huge scale. And I was lucky enough in graduate school to be friends with motivated people.

I guess the one comfort out of this is that you've confirmed just how special it is to be in the springtime of youth; to be the person self-organized and self-driven enough to shatter fate and try to get something done. Only in that position do you get to experience the misfortune of realizing you're the only one who really cares, sometimes. Then you get to feel what it's like wondering if you can just do it all yourself, and then struggling with your own limits...

For this reason, don't hesitate to romanticize yourself and love yourself for being the raucous bastard who dares to try something ambitious and won't stay down or shut the fuck up. It really means something to have intelligent, considerate, burning ambition in this world; many people have ambition (in its simplest form) or intelligence, but rarely both. Even rarer is intelligent ambition that's empathetic and also conscious of the effects of one's goals on the world and other people, and all the externalities it might create. With this empathy and intelligence, it's easier to falter, because you're more self-aware, self-critical, and sensitive to failure; it often seems as if idiots are more self-sure and confident than geniuses. WELL FUCK THAT! So remember this if you're ever feeling hard on yourself: you're in the springtime of your FUCKING youth and THE GLORIOUS DOMAIN OF MAKING A CHANGE AND FULFILLING SOME NOBLE ENTERPRISE IS YOURS TO ENJOY!

Quote from: Theodore Roosevelt
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

And as for the issue of getting things done through leadership, yeah, that's an other special challenge on top of being personally in the springtime of youth. It's a challenge that's made or broken empires. So definitely pursue mastery of the art of extracting tasks from people who've signed on to your vision, even if callously.

DO THE IMPOSSIBLE AND NEVER GIVE UP

CAN YOU FEEL MY SOUL
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 05:47:03 am by ZeaLitY »

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: February 22, 2011, 05:14:22 pm »
The Facebook Machine tells me  :shock: 2.0 has a bf.  Don't want to jump to judgment (muffed up a bit once due to that), but can't help feeling like poo a tad.  Saaaame shit, different girl.  It's so damn rare that I meet someone who I share a passion with and who's support of me has been eye-popping (at least it was...) and who I think is beautiful and funny and blah de blah de blah...and to get flaked on then fed some shit about it'll all get made up and all this and no let's just get another man that isn't Shee.  He's funny and therefore has no feelings.  And after getting burned in these rare times repeatedly, it fucking hurts.  I got dumped 6 and a half years ago and have been essentially single since.  And it's all really starting to pile up.

Life is fine, honestly...venting here which always lends itself to some exaggeration and boo hooing, but this shit hurts.  And I really wish it didn't and I wish it could roll off of me and didn't matter but it sticks and festers.  And observing and comprehending that hurts even more, the whole understanding that your pain is not really all that big of a deal but you're still upset so that all makes you more upset deal.  And a year and a half, 2 years from now it's all going to happen again.  Just like 2 years ago.  And 2 years before that.

Fuck it, gonna go youtube Clay Davis and write some jokes.

I do not fall alone. - Clay Davis

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: February 22, 2011, 07:37:47 pm »
That sucks Shee.  :/  I'm really sorry.

You made an interesting point with "he's funny and therefore has no feelings".  That mentality really does seem to be true.  People assume that a funny or witty person can roll with the punches easier and don't feel pain as much as everyone else.  That's truly ridiculous and upsetting, but unfortunately that's how a lot of people think.

I hope Clay Davis makes your day a little better.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #5588 on: February 22, 2011, 09:27:09 pm »
Yeah. Changing my avatar to Clay Davis in solidarity. DO THE IMPOSSIBLE

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: February 23, 2011, 04:56:29 am »
Thanks you crazy people.

Let's do this.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: February 27, 2011, 03:47:08 pm »
The public comments at the end of Yahoo news articles. I have to make a conscious effort to never read these or else I get sucked in for hours. The reason for this is a misguided idea that I might be able to make a difference.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: February 27, 2011, 04:54:55 pm »
The public comments at the end of Yahoo news articles. I have to make a conscious effort to never read these or else I get sucked in for hours. The reason for this is a misguided idea that I might be able to make a difference.

I hear ya.

Lady Marle

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Princess Nadia of Guardia a.k.a. Marle
    • View Profile
    • find me on deviantArt
« Reply #5592 on: February 27, 2011, 09:16:54 pm »
I wish I had more money and less debts with my education and medical expenses.... seriously... I'm so good with my money and this shit has my wallet bending over, without even a kiss on the cheek.

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: February 28, 2011, 11:54:16 am »
Oh my god, effing Yahoo news articles. The dregs of humanity, I say. The dregs. I've considered abandoning my Yahoo account (which I keep largely because I've had it for so long, and I want friends to know where to contact me years down the line...) JUST BECAUSE I keep looking.

I can't claim a goal as lofty as Thought's (though sometimes I do feel that way). I think I just feel I need to remind myself that people like that exist. I also go to the Focus on the Family website every few months or so, which is especially masochistic because I grew up around evangelical homeschoolers that were all about that horrifying organization. WHY, SYNA. WHYYYYY.

In other news, I wish my boss had the sense to realize he is making the atmosphere at my job miserable. He isn't a bad guy, but he comes across as extremely brusque and doesn't have the self-awareness necessary to prevent himself from inflicting his pissy moods on everyone else. No one here is happy, and we have creative jobs in this economy. By all rights we should feel lucky and privileged and dedicated, but we just haven't since he's been in charge. A waste.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:07:45 pm by Syna »

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: February 28, 2011, 12:09:22 pm »
No one here is happy, and we have creative jobs in this economy. By all rights we should feel lucky and privileged and dedicated...

This is not directed at you, but I have noticed a disturbing trend in the current economic downturn. Specifically, there seems to be an increased feeling that 1) one should be thankful for having any job, which follows into 2) that criticism and being thankful are contradictory. This is disturbing because it gives people the perceived right to shut down legitimate criticism. Your boss is a sex-fiend? You should just be grateful that you have a job. Your employer wants to cut your salary by 10%? You should just be grateful that you have a job. And so on, and so forth.

This isn't to say that people shouldn't be thankful that they have a job, but that one can still be thankful and be critical of aspects of that job. Yay employment, but boo to the abusive boss. Yay employment, but boo to pay-cuts (all the more so when these pay cuts aren't being shared by the management, who in reality should shoulder the brunt of such things since they have the most income to be disposed of).

This all ties together in that the Yahoo article that got me sucked in the other day was one on the state of protests in Wisconsin. There was a general feeling that teachers were being vile for having even a desire to defend their paycheck and work situation; this is not particularly new, but it did seem that the economy made people more venomous in that regard.