Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 482611 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #4620 on: November 24, 2009, 11:14:21 am »
My frustration is when people say one thing and then immediately undermine it with a disclaimer or a major exception. The classic example is those "I'm not a racist, but..." remarks, but the one that set me off just now is "I consider myself pretty liberal, but I'm no tree hugger." Using conservative phrasing to oversimplify and vilify one of the major areas of liberal concern (environmentalism and conservation) is not exactly a good way to establish liberal bona fides. I bet you a steak dinner that this person is nominally liberal but has never actually given much thought to it.

I'm frustrated with anyone who isn't at least nominally an environmentalist. I'm not expecting a lot of people here, merely basic self preservation. The state of the environment affects everyone's standard of living. How can anyone who cares about anything not care about the environment?

RD, you're referring to two different things in this case. Bi-polar as you used it is an adjective, and flu is a noun. You don't use the possessive with an adjective, nor do you use "to be" with a noun(very rarely, anyways). It's not uncommon to hear someone say "He has bi-polar disorder," over "He is bi-polar." The inverse is also true. A person can be feverish, or they can have a fever.

But at this point I'm probably just trying to be difficult. I see what you're getting at here, and yeah, the scale seems to be unfavorably tipped towards mental disorders. Perhaps it has to do with the nature of the disease, and that mental disorders change the person's actual being. I doubt we would disagree that bi-polar disorder affects one's personality and individual being more than the flu does.

You seem to have a slightly better handle one what I'm actually getting at than GenesisOne, so...kudos, I guess. A disease is a disease. The fact that the English language makes a distinction in how individuals with mental diseases are described versus how individuals with physical diseases are described, and the fashion in which it does so, stigmatizes people with mental disorders by defining them in terms of their disease. I don't know how to make it any clearer.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: November 24, 2009, 12:14:00 pm »
The built in bias English has when dealing with mental disorders, and the culture that bias reflects. A person has the flu; a person is bipolar. Stigmatizing a health issue is foolish and cruel, particularly when one can do nothing to influence whether or not they poses it.

While I agree with you, those aren't the best examples. The flu is caused by foreign organisms in one's own body, while many (but not all) mental disorders are caused by one's own brain not functioning within generally accepted norms. "Cancer and mental disorders" might be a better comparison. People have cancer, even though cancer is their body. People are not themselves cancer.

Curiously, diabetes can go either way. A person has diabetes and they are diabetic.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: November 24, 2009, 06:22:40 pm »
Depends on the disorder.

I have obsessive-compulsive disorder.
I have social anxiety disorder.
I have post-traumatic stress disorder.
I have depression.
I am in recovery from anorexia nervosa (that is, I used to have anorexia nervosa).

All very serious disorders (although I have a relatively mild form of OCD), but I have them.  I'm not OCD (I can't stand it when people say "I'm OCD").  I'm not post-traumatic.  I can't even say "I'm depressed" because that insinuates that I am going through a state of depression, when I actually have depression as a disorder.  People can be depressed without having depression.  I could say "I used to be anorexic", but that's actually inaccurate because the technical term for it is anorexia nervosa, which you can "have", but you can't "be".

I understand what you're getting at RD.  It's something I've never noticed before, and I appreciate you bringing it up.  The stigmatization of metal disorders is something that pisses me off...a lot (to put it very lightly), but the term "to be" only works with certain disorders, not all of them.

I wonder if there's any kind of correlation between disorders that use "to be" vs. "to have."

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: November 24, 2009, 06:35:33 pm »
My frustration is rhetoric that subtly insults our intelligence, when it comes from people who shouldn't be subtly insulting our intelligence--i.e., allies. I just saw an ad by a gun control interest group with the tagline "We can't afford another Fort Hood."

Either you way you slice it, it would be almost impossible for that statement to be valid. Either we can afford another one, or we couldn't afford this one in the first place. "We can't afford" in general is a phrase that I generally loathe to hear in political rhetoric, unless we're talking in context of the debt or our various deficits. Nobody in their right mind actually thinks that the military would collapse or the country would disband if there were another military base shooting. This idea that America is always on the precipice of destruction and that one jerk with a gun could bring us all down is just insulting.

Now, there is an exception here...one that's fading into the past by this point. After the political fallout of September 11, and the program of civil rights abuses committed by the previous administration and largely endorsed by the public, I genuinely did fear that if there were another major terrorist attack in this country, Americans themselves would willingly (!) sacrifice their democratic power in favor of a dictatorship. Subsequent actions by the conservative movement in America from 2007 onward have verified that that portion of society already doesn't care about democracy so much as having their own people in power. That made the risk of another terror attack on Bush's watch doubly frightening. However, if similar strains of sentiment exist on the rest of the political spectrum, then the same risk exists no matter who is in power.

If the United States goes fascist, all of those "We're Rome!" people will have a lot more leg to stand on. Thankfully, I think the visceral shock and insecurity following September 11 has largely faded from the public's heart, which greatly lessens the risk that America could genuinely be destroyed by just two successful attacks.

Unthankfully, I think that a major terror attack on Obama's watch might produce an actual, bona fide rebellion. At the very least there would be riots and National Guard deployments. That would not likely threaten the stability of the nation--on the contrary, I think it would help the rest of Americans to "clean out the trash" in their minds, as it were, in finally admitting that the far right is not even remotely interested in the wellbeing of the country as a whole--but it would create a serious domestic morass in an era of fundamental economic turmoil in the capitalist system, which would suck more than we would readily imagine.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: November 24, 2009, 10:38:38 pm »
Duke University

My cat has thrown up better looking and easier to navigate webpages than they have.
Course, my cat knows PEARL, but...

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #4625 on: November 24, 2009, 10:55:19 pm »
Duke University

My cat has thrown up better looking and easier to navigate webpages than they have.
Course, my cat knows PEARL, but...

Your cat throws up webpages? That's totally marketable.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: November 24, 2009, 11:06:06 pm »

My cat can throw up hot links and JavaScript.

Maybe that can be a contribution.  Or better yet, an improvement.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4627 on: November 24, 2009, 11:39:00 pm »
Waitwait, is there a difference between PEARL and PERL? I'm way too behind on this..

More of an observation than a frustration, but I've been browsing forums for other games. I was quite surprised and confused at how other fandoms aren't as obsessive-compulsive as we are in collecting and collating everything regarding the relevant game. They had a sprite archive of all the animations, but no frame-by-frame sprite sheets. It'd be pretty simple to break those down, but it's just.. not complete. What if someone wanted to make a sprite comic? They couldn't, if they only had animations.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: November 24, 2009, 11:49:21 pm »
Ah, tell me about it! How I would have enjoyed a website with Compendium-level dedication to games like Final Fantasy VI, or the Secret of Mana. I can't tell you how many times I went looking for such resources, only to discover they probably don't exist.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4629 on: November 24, 2009, 11:59:56 pm »
It's for Golden Sun, actually. They do have quite a lot of data and a few dedicated members, but they just aren't that active - or at least, nowhere near as active as the Compendium. Perhaps you spoiled me. I wish to extend our level of zeal and dedication to other fandoms, but it almost feels like cheating on the Chrono series and on Magus. Still... you think they'd be more excited and crowded, considering they have a third game coming. We had quite a surge in activity when CTDS came out. It's almost like the Compendium is the only refuge in a sea nothing, or like one of those fabled lost enlightened cities.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: November 25, 2009, 12:26:06 am »
It's almost like the Compendium is the only refuge in a sea nothing, or like one of those fabled lost enlightened cities.

Neo-Zeal, baby!

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4631 on: November 25, 2009, 04:08:21 pm »
I heard there once was a site resembling the early Compendium in that it strove to document the history, chronology, and mysteries of the FFVI universe. It was called the Figaro Scholars, and the site was down by the time I tried to access it. No idea if it was the genuine article.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: November 25, 2009, 06:07:26 pm »
I'm pissed when I miss the bus by literally under ten seconds. Oh well, I threw the dice and I lost.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #4633 on: November 25, 2009, 06:20:54 pm »
That happens way too often. What's even worse is when you see it coming and run for it, and you make it before the last person to get on has payed, but they shut their doors and leave without you anyway. I think the metro system needs to be slapped over the head a few times.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: November 25, 2009, 09:47:46 pm »
No, it's not their fault...or at least it wasn't this time. The driver almost certainly didn't see me. In Seattle, the bus drivers are usually more than generous with stragglers.