Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 482594 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #3615 on: August 13, 2009, 03:13:34 am »
Going through forum options should be your first step (after reading the rules) when joining a forums, people!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: August 13, 2009, 04:02:51 am »
Call me old-fashioned, but I don't think the main posting process should be spoiled like this...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: August 13, 2009, 10:02:19 am »
Going through forum options should be your first step (after reading the rules) when joining a forums, people!

Forum options are not what inspires people to congregate at a fan site and they are not what makes people post what they think. I barely use any other forums at all, I never check the options. I say what I want to say and get the hell outta there. Go back to read a reply if there is one. The compendium is the biggest exception to this for me. But I still rarely check forum options.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #3618 on: August 13, 2009, 10:12:14 am »
Yeah, but it only takes a couple minutes and is there to enhance your forum experience...I can understand if you're just basically lurking like you said, but if you're actually meaning to hang around a forums for any real length of time...*shrugs*
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 10:14:01 am by V_Translanka »

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: August 13, 2009, 10:36:48 am »
Again, a good suggestion, just not something I ever really considered before the ridiculous Patrick conehead thumb.

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: August 13, 2009, 01:29:23 pm »
I was pissed about something... ...then I forgot.

Damn!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: August 13, 2009, 01:52:00 pm »
My frustration, and an intense one at that, is the use of the word "woman" as an adjective, as in "woman driver" or "woman doctor." Not only is the term usually completely unnecessary, as in the news headline I just read, "US woman soldier unrepentant over Abu Ghraib," but the very interjection of this word as an adjective implies that the role in question is somehow tainted or diminished when filled by a female, especially since the equivalent usage, adjectival "man," almost never occurs.

The sex-specific adjectives are "male" and "female." If you have to specify a person's sex adjectivally--and usually you don't--use one of those words. "Woman" is bad enough as a noun, since it affirms gender roles, but "woman" as an adjective is unambiguously insulting.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: August 13, 2009, 01:54:48 pm »
This:

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: August 13, 2009, 01:55:11 pm »
My frustration, and an intense one at that, is the use of the word "woman" as an adjective, as in "woman driver" or "woman doctor." Not only is the term usually completely unnecessary, as in the news headline I just read, "US woman soldier unrepentant over Abu Ghraib," but the very interjection of this word as an adjective implies that the role in question is somehow tainted or diminished when filled by a female, especially since the equivalent usage, adjectival "man," almost never occurs.

The sex-specific adjectives are "male" and "female." If you have to specify a person's sex adjectivally--and usually you don't--use one of those words. "Woman" is bad enough as a noun, since it affirms gender roles, but "woman" as an adjective is unambiguously insulting.

yeah I'm with you on this one.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #3624 on: August 13, 2009, 01:55:56 pm »
Agreed. Ever since you made that post on your journal expounding upon the difference, I've used "female" in every capacity, and I've painfully noticed each time I hear "woman [something]" in a public setting.

Perhaps you should post that journal entry here.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: August 13, 2009, 01:59:11 pm »
This:

The Entity has a sense of humor. =)

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #3626 on: August 13, 2009, 02:01:09 pm »

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #3627 on: August 13, 2009, 02:04:02 pm »
I got that same error when trying to post something yesterday, but only once. What does it mean D:
My frustration: None of the MMDP classes I need are being offered next quarter, so my adviser went ahead and made a schedule for me. History, nutrition, and math, all morning classes. Morning classes suck, and I was really looking forward to After Effects...

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: August 13, 2009, 02:07:58 pm »
Agreed. Ever since you made that post on your journal expounding upon the difference, I've used "female" in every capacity, and I've painfully noticed each time I hear "woman [something]" in a public setting.

Perhaps you should post that journal entry here.

I really don't think the community here is ready for that kind of lesson in sexual equality. It takes a lot of sensitivity. Most people here would just write it off as an homage to political correctness, and a few would make the quaint objection that the biological terms are more sexist than the social ones. That's why I myself sometimes use "woman" and "man" on these boards when you know I would much prefer to use "female" and "male."

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: August 13, 2009, 02:14:28 pm »
I remember what I was pissed about!
I missed my 666 Magus post!