Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 482534 times)

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2880 on: May 14, 2009, 05:37:10 am »
BROKE AS A JOKE

It's true, but I never understood the phrase, not a damn thing is funny about it.   BAH got some credit card mailing issues that are preventing me from submitting for more roles (and more potential cash)...not to mention every time I blink the shit hits the fan here....

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2881 on: May 14, 2009, 10:53:21 am »
People who smoke weed don't hurt anyone.

Pish posh. People who smoke weed support those who procure the substance, which in turn supports those who grow it. Since it is currently largely outlawed in the United States, that requires government funding to track down and suppress. Even assuming no one is physically harmed in the process, natural wildlife is infringed upon (national parks are for some reason prime real estate for marijuana) and resources that could have been better spent on other projects are wasted. Now you might say that the illegality of weed is improper, attempt to define proper use as different from improper use, but until such a time as a Utopia arrives, people who smoke weed are indeed hurting people, albeit indirectly.

Though to be fair, we all do that, to an extent, both legally and illegally. Chances are right now there is clothing in my closet that supports economic tyranny over someone else and I just don't realize which is the offending article.

I'm not endorsing drugs by any means. I'm saying close-mindedness is close-mindedness.
If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck and flies like a duck and swims like a duck, it's clearly either Huey, Dewey, or Louie, right?

You're forgetting Howard.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2882 on: May 14, 2009, 12:06:20 pm »
I totally forgot Howard!

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2883 on: May 14, 2009, 01:31:52 pm »
People who smoke weed don't hurt anyone.

Pish posh. People who smoke weed support those who procure the substance, which in turn supports those who grow it. Since it is currently largely outlawed in the United States, that requires government funding to track down and suppress. Even assuming no one is physically harmed in the process, natural wildlife is infringed upon (national parks are for some reason prime real estate for marijuana) and resources that could have been better spent on other projects are wasted. Now you might say that the illegality of weed is improper, attempt to define proper use as different from improper use, but until such a time as a Utopia arrives, people who smoke weed are indeed hurting people, albeit indirectly.

Hellllllllllo hydroponics~!! Seems like a poor 'well, indirectly...!' excuse...Almost like saying people that make guns kill people indirectly, only backwards and not at all like that. In fact, it sounds like you're saying that people that illegalized marijuana are the real ones who are hurting people, albeit indirectly...

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2884 on: May 14, 2009, 02:10:09 pm »
I use electricity. I may even be an electricity abuser. Depleting fossil fuels are my fault, albeit indirectly.  :lol:

I still say people who smoke weed don't hurt people. Just like people who wear Nike shoes don't hurt people. Just like people who eat McDonalds don't kill animals.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2885 on: May 14, 2009, 04:39:12 pm »
In fact, it sounds like you're saying that people that illegalized marijuana are the real ones who are hurting people, albeit indirectly...

Exactly. Social ignorance does not expunge an individual from social responsibility, indirectly speaking of course.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #2886 on: May 14, 2009, 05:56:14 pm »
You know, logically speaking, if marijuana is illegal, so should both alcohol and tobacco. Yet prohibition of those doesn't work, so we do have them legalized. I'm not personally a fan of it, but I don't see why it should be illegal. The rule for most things is the old Greek saying from Delphoi, 'nothing in excess.' Those things should be illegal whose faintest portion is an excess. I do not think that can be a proven case with marijuana, unlike some more potent drugs whose even trace use is perilous. And, of course, the situation is different person to person. There are also those to whom a slight bit of tobacco results in peril and addiction, and as such should for their own wellbeing stay away from it. We cannot, however, restrict such things in entirety, and some portion of responsability and judgement must lie on the individual person. After all, most anything in excess can become dangerous. Should we outlaw fatty foods because there are health problems associated with it in some people? Certainly not.

Now it might be argued that marijuana, unlike food, is not a necessity to life. This is certainly true, but if that is a tangental argument, then that regarding alcohol and tobacco is not. And those, even if they are not necessary, can add enjoyment, and add psychological benefits apart from the hard tangible health effects. After all, a pipe a day will hardly cause you health problems (national studies showed that even five a day did not cause discernable problems, and as such one or even two is not about to cause one peril.) Indeed, I'll argue it increases quality of life. I am very fond of smoking the occasional pipe... there is a great deal of relaxing and enjoyment involved, and it does not have a negative effect on my body... certainly far less a detriment than my abysmal sleep habits. In the end, I think I am in fact better off for smoking, so long as I stand by moderation. It is a distinct and cultured pleasure, in fact. And in some sense the rule that underlies 'nothing in excess' is this: that one must have control over one's self, rather than letting something exercise the control. If one can enjoy tobacco or alcohol, or even marijuana, without the compulsion and with discernment and will, not subverting the will to the impelling force of a 'need', then it is in my view ethically right. But if one is set subservient to a desire - and this is in everything, whether it be substances or even moods, such as love - then this is wrong. Things should be enjoyed, but to be truly enjoyed one must be able to take it up and place it down at will, and not at the behest of an overriding compulsion.

Therefore the same enjoyment cannot be said for everyone, in particular those who have a natural disposition to addiction in a certain form. That has been proven now, that a certain gene makes one more likely to be addicted to tobacco, and to get cancer from it. But all the same, for those who can practise moderation, there is no ethical reason why it should be wrong. I think the same could be said for marijuana. I do not favour it because it dulls the mind, rather than sharpens it (for that reason I prefer my pipe/cigars and coffee), but I cannot see what is ethically wrong in moderation.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2887 on: May 14, 2009, 05:58:48 pm »
I had a canister of canned air(for keyboards and the like) and it just ruptured and spilled all over my hand with some minor burning. It hurt bad but was hella cool!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2888 on: May 14, 2009, 06:03:49 pm »
There are also those to whom a slight bit of tobacco results in peril and addiction, and as such should for their own wellbeing stay away from it.

To note, there are indications that ther are addiction "genes," as in more than one. If it is reasonably to require certain individuals to prove their age in order to purchase tobacco or alcohol, for example, might it be likely reasonable in a far-future date to require individuals to provide clean genetic bills of health?

I don't have an answer, I'm just curious as to your thoughts, particularly with genetic privacy laws just recently enacted in the United States.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2889 on: May 14, 2009, 07:48:24 pm »
I get frustrated when people assert (often unwittingly) that we should behave according to gender roles as if this particular social construct has any special significance whatsoever, when in fact all of civilization has been one continuing endeavor in selectively modifying our behavior away from the world of our animal instincts. Lesser instances of civilization have shown us what terrors result when we allow animal instincts to determine the course of people's lives on the basis of sex. Therefore, whatever sex-specific behavioral tendencies people may have--and, although most behavioral tendencies are conditioned rather than inborn, there are probably at least a few--we should teach and enable both males and females alike not to embrace these differences, but how to overcome them, and then let individuals decide for themselves what to embrace and what to reject. Even if there were some truth in a statement like "Females are more nurturing than males on average," why should that ever imply that roles ought to be segregated based upon sex? There will always be exceptions to the rule; people who are not representative of their sex; people who are more extreme in one direction or in the other. Sex is not a meaningful piece of information for determining an individual's ideal course in life. It frustrates me that, in the absence of critical thought, people draw such overly simplistic conclusions so very often.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #2890 on: May 14, 2009, 08:09:23 pm »
I had a canister of canned air(for keyboards and the like) and it just ruptured and spilled all over my hand with some minor burning. It hurt bad but was hella cool!

SE did it.

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2891 on: May 14, 2009, 11:39:15 pm »
Whoo for 13 hour days with no lunch break. 9:30 PM and I just got out of work.

To note, there are indications that ther are addiction "genes," as in more than one. If it is reasonably to require certain individuals to prove their age in order to purchase tobacco or alcohol, for example, might it be likely reasonable in a far-future date to require individuals to provide clean genetic bills of health?

I don't have an answer, I'm just curious as to your thoughts, particularly with genetic privacy laws just recently enacted in the United States.

That's awfully big brotherish, and I think people wouldn't stand for such a law. Even if I was a carrier for the addiction genes, I should still be able to get myself addicted to anything that I damn well choose.

I mean, caffeine is addictive as well. Should someone have to provide evidence of a "clean genetic bill of health" at Starbucks before they buy a freakin' coffee? But come to think of it, Starbucks already rules the world, so maybe that would be a small leap. If only it wasn't so, sooo delicious.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 12:10:07 am by chrono eric »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #2892 on: May 15, 2009, 05:04:26 am »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2893 on: May 15, 2009, 05:25:47 am »
Jon Stewart is doing a history special with the History Channel at the end of this year. Should be worth checking out, and it'll be nice to see him in a more serious tone.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2894 on: May 15, 2009, 01:51:24 pm »
Z, that's fantastic.

I guess I have a mild frustration. People are afraid of change because all they know is the same and while the possibility of good things to come from change exists, it's much less attractive than the big bright lights in the sign that says "HEY IT MIGHT GET 100 TIMES WORSE" so that's often the sign they look for.

Revolution is an incredibly rare event because of this exact fact. And that is frustrating. Not particularly right now, but some times, it's incredibly hard to accept.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:53:13 pm by Mr Bekkler »