Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 482551 times)

Magnificant Marcus

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #2430 on: March 21, 2009, 12:00:45 am »
Once again I was not able to go with my family on vacation. First it was Hawaii for Christmas holidays, Now its Florida! Stupid school ruins everything. I always end up having to go to school because acording to mother: "If you miss too much school, you'll fail! ". I`m not magnificant for nothing, I am always able to catch up and pass everything. Another opportunity of fun gone...

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: March 21, 2009, 01:23:07 am »
My 'Noles just lost in the opening round of the NCAA Tourney.  In the first round.  In overtime.  It was a sliver of joy I could've used...but no.  Fucking lame.  Super Lame.  Uber Lame.  Lames Bond.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: March 21, 2009, 03:00:40 am »
@ Lord J

I thought my point was narrowed down enough.  I was never trying to direct my gripes toward you, it was in reference to fictional characters in movies in such.  The silver tongued villains are presented as pretentious bastards most of the time, intentionally I might add, but their predictable placement in media is just lame half the time.  Not to mention the fact that they're mostly carbon copies, with all too perfect schemes planned out like a game of chess they can't lose.  I prefer villains that are clever, but don't flaunt it in such over the top dialogue.

I thought I gave enough references to properly infer that I was speaking of movie villains, and if I came off as acerbic to your critiques I apologize.  Been pretty busy with spring cleaning and was really lacking a lot of sleep when I composed that rant.  So for lack of a better term I was prolly in a pretty bitchy mood.  Then again, this is the thread for such tones.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #2433 on: March 21, 2009, 05:49:40 am »
Quite right. My mistake on the "before."

I must confess that I'm a fraud with Latin. I don't actually know Latin. What I do have is a handy reference source of Latin sayings and terms that I've used for a decade, and a generic understanding of Romantic vocabulary terms stemming from my Spanish instruction and my interest in etymology generally. So! Without knowing what you actually wrote, I'll try and translate it and you'll have to tell me if I'm right or wrong.

Actually, most of it is easy; I recognize all the root words except "scelerato." So, literally, you're saying something like "The truth is a ____ saying." The only thing that comes to mind for "scelerato" is the Irish word sceal, meaning "story," and, juxtaposed with "veritas" as it is, conceivably indicating a fiction or a wrongness. If that's right, then I imagine you're making a point to the effect of "The truth (as told to you by an enemy) may still be true, but it is not necessarily helpful."

Am I on the right track?

Oh, yes, very close. Sceleratus means merely 'villain', much like hostis is enemy. So it's something near about 'it's true, even said by a villain.' I was poking fun at our many conflicts. I must admit myself, my Latin brain was dead when looking at what you had, since I could not for the life of me recall the meaning of either hostis or doceo until I consulted a dictionary. And the form of doceo, as doceri, entirely eluded me for a while (being a passive infinite, as I finally found.)

And no worries on the Latin. It sounded much like a famous saying, so I supposed you might have gotten it, and been able to by association get mine, which you essentially did. At least you got the gist of it. :)

Seriously, though, you should take Latin. I don't suppose it'd be much trouble for you.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: March 21, 2009, 09:44:27 am »
Alright, this frustration requires a bit of backstory.

A couple weeks back, I saw this big sign with Mario and Luigi drawn on it with marker. It was for a Battle of the Sexes competition held at my school. I grabbed a flyer and looked at the events. Volleyball... obstacle course... Family Feud... Inflatables of Death... ooh! looking at Tuesday, it's the day where we play video games! Mario and Luigi have their part, as we'll be playing Super Smash Brothers Brawl. I didn't see this on the sign, but we'll also be doing Dance Dance Revolution.

Two things I consider myself okay at.

I get the okay from my mom and the next day sign up for both. This was like, last Tuesday. I see that no one has signed up for DDR other than me and I'm the third girl to sign up for Smash, while there are about 10 guys already doing it. To check on how we're doing for sign ups, I look at the sheets again yesterday. Four more girls have signed up, as have a group of five guys for DDR. Meanwhile, there are three girls signed up for Smash with almost 30 guys signed up.

So essentially, this Tuesday, we're going to get our asses handed to us. I'm okay, but I'll be facing the likes of Dougles, who strikes fear into the heart of my one Smash nemesis, my one Smash nemesis Parker, Saad (who hates me because I almost took his head off with a door once), Smart Ian (I think...), and GOD knows who else!

See, this is the frustration. NOT ENOUGH GIRLS PLAY VIDEO GAMES. You look at our statistic center and see that the male to female ratio is 8.4:1! It's not fair. I'm going to Smash my way to victory to prove that just because you have boobs doesn't mean you can't kick a guy's ass in a video game!

... let's hope Mewtwo is similar to Lucario...

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: March 21, 2009, 10:10:20 am »
어젯 밤에 감기가 걸렸는데 제 방은 너무 답답해서 잠을 잘 못한다.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: March 21, 2009, 10:54:15 am »
Um... I can't read that. Help? Please?

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2437 on: March 21, 2009, 03:04:28 pm »
... let's hope Mewtwo is similar to Lucario...

I think that Lucario is a bit heavier, but most of his attacks are similar to Mewtwo's. His Final Smash is pretty kickass: he floats to the top of the map and fires and huge laser beam across the whole stage, and it's pretty hard to dodge. Oh, and his voice sucks.
Good luck!

And your not-enough-girls problem doesn't really exist over here. At least half the DotA players in my class' random game nights are girls.

Acacia Sgt

• Guru of Reason
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Forever loyal to the Acacia Dragoons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: March 21, 2009, 03:08:09 pm »
There is a difference in their attacks though. All of his Aura-based attacks get stronger the more damage he has received. It's a little risky, but if you are good with dodging then there is little to no problem.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: March 21, 2009, 06:04:38 pm »
My 'Noles lost.  And in less than 24 hours the NCAA denies FSU's request to NOT take away some of St. Bobby's wins.  I HATE THE NCAA!

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2440 on: March 21, 2009, 08:23:19 pm »
Frustration: My headphones broke. One of the earpieces fell off. I was able to tape it back together, but it doesn't sit right anymore. Maybe In a few months I'll be able to afford another pair like these..
Everglide = best headphones ever.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: March 21, 2009, 10:14:19 pm »
I was never trying to direct my gripes toward you, it was in reference to fictional characters in movies in such. ... So for lack of a better term I was prolly in a pretty bitchy mood.  Then again, this is the thread for such tones.

Fair enough!

If that's right, then I imagine you're making a point to the effect of "The truth (as told to you by an enemy) may still be true, but it is not necessarily helpful."

Am I on the right track?

Oh, yes, very close. Sceleratus means merely 'villain', much like hostis is enemy. So it's something near about 'it's true, even said by a villain.' I was poking fun at our many conflicts. I must admit myself, my Latin brain was dead when looking at what you had, since I could not for the life of me recall the meaning of either hostis or doceo until I consulted a dictionary. And the form of doceo, as doceri, entirely eluded me for a while (being a passive infinite, as I finally found.)

And no worries on the Latin. It sounded much like a famous saying, so I supposed you might have gotten it, and been able to by association get mine, which you essentially did. At least you got the gist of it. :)

Seriously, though, you should take Latin. I don't suppose it'd be much trouble for you.

"Villain," eh? It'd be very interesting, then, if that word is etymologically related to the Irish word for "story." Sounds more likely that I managed to get lucky without knowing the missing word.

It's too bad that I came along just after Latin fell out of general use. But, honestly, I think it's even better that English is the new "lingua franca." What an awesome language!

Praeterea censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: March 22, 2009, 06:33:32 pm »
Um... I can't read that. Help? Please?

Google Translate says it's Korean:  "It just took us a cold in my room last night, can not sleep so he got frustrated. "

« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 01:07:52 am by Ramsus »

neo-fusion

• Fan Project Leader
  • Mystical Knight (+700)
  • Creator of Chrono Trigger Apocalypse... FEAR ME
    • View Profile
    • Neo-Fusion
« Reply #2443 on: March 22, 2009, 07:33:19 pm »
We had our state's version of proficiency tests this week.

Although I liked getting out of classes I despise the fact that we get 2 hours and 30 minutes to take this test and can't go straight to our gym for intermurals or just go home when we are done. It takes more than half of our class less than 30 minutes to finish these damn things, and we gotta sleep in these uncomfortable desks for 2 hours.

Total BS.

When we are done with this test, a. let us go home or b. let us go to our intermural period and to lunch.

Either way, I can't sit still for that amount of time and just sleep I have to talk to people or do something it's sooooooo boring.

So... F(_)Cl< you Graduations Tests...

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2444 on: March 22, 2009, 09:58:23 pm »
"So Z, we're doing financial planning. How much will we have to pay for your tuition?"
"You don't have to pay for my tuition. My college is free as long as I'm still in high school."
"Right, but what about transferring to DigiPen? When are you doing that?"
"I'm not. I'm going to finish my degree here."
"Okay, but when are you getting your Bachelor's? What's your plan for transfer?"
"I don't know how long I have left in my program, and I'm finishing my degree here. At least a year."
"Okay, but what about tuition? When are we going to have to pay?"
"You don't."
"Well how long do you have left?"
"Until I finish my high school credits, or I turn 21."
"So how long is that? When do we have to pay?"

My frustration: Drunk people that do not listen. Who knew not having to pay for school could be such a hassle.