Author Topic: The $%*! frustration thread  (Read 482531 times)

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
Re: The $%*! frustration thread
« Reply #1365 on: January 18, 2009, 09:16:07 pm »
Eh, true... I don't know what I'll do. We'll see when I get to 1999, eh? We'll figure out the end of the world when we get there.

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: January 18, 2009, 09:20:17 pm »
Another thing: Will you even remember? You might just have a busy day and go right past 1999 with out realizing it.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: January 18, 2009, 09:21:36 pm »
We will see when we get there! We'll see what happens... who know what the future holds?

chrono eric

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: January 18, 2009, 09:40:25 pm »
I was saying that Shadow's massive post count doesn't equal a massive dong, and I knew this because my novel character, Lovell, had to be pulled away from doing... things... with his girlfriend, Seren, and I sent him to give solid proof. And Sinclair is supposed to be the bi one...

Oh. And here I thought you had some sort of insider information or something. So let me get this straight...you sent your novel character, Lovell, on a quest to ascertain the size of Shadow's dong, who is also a character in your novel?

Weird.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #1369 on: January 18, 2009, 09:42:52 pm »
I was saying that Shadow's massive post count doesn't equal a massive dong, and I knew this because my novel character, Lovell, had to be pulled away from doing... things... with his girlfriend, Seren, and I sent him to give solid proof. And Sinclair is supposed to be the bi one...

Oh. And here I thought you had some sort of insider information or something. So let me get this straight...you sent your novel character, Lovell, on a quest to ascertain the size of Shadow's dong, who is also a character in your novel?

Weird.

Nah, just imaginative.

teaflower

• View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: January 18, 2009, 09:43:35 pm »
No. I sent Lovell, a character in my novel, to ascertain the size of Shadow's dong, an internet person. Before Lovell went on this quest, he was doing it with Seren, another novel character and his girlfriend.

Yes. I know I'm weird.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: January 18, 2009, 10:05:31 pm »
The discussion has since moved along, but I did want to do a couple of you the courtesy of a reply. This'll be my last salvo on the subject here, because it's a bit much to read through ten pages of comments in just two days!

Quote from: placidchap
My view is arbitrary, so what?

Arbitrariness and the judgment of a group of people is a bad combination.

You consider your views superior to others.

No, I consider my logic superior when it evidently is. I don't have a problem with making concessions or acknowledging defeat, when it happens. Just because you are among the many whose ignorance cannot withstand my critique, that does not say anything about me. It says only that you are sensitive to being criticized.

You dissect the opposing view, in such a way that hinders actual progressive thought.

A not entirely unfounded criticism, but, again, a consequence of your style of response at least as much as my style of engagement.

I think you're trying to say that I should focus more on helping you open your eyes than on invalidating your views. Personal style is a tactical choice; you may be right at the situational level. Then again, you haven't volunteered much either. You're sticking to your guns and have resorted to complaining outside the topic.

Or maybe I am just weak and don't do well with adversarial discussion.

Yes, that is my reading too.

Quote from: Radical_Dreamer
Liking to eat is not in of itself a good reason to be fat. You can enjoy eating and also exercise sufficiently to not be fat while having a high calorie diet. To become fat because you enjoy eating is an attempt to excuse your laziness.

Your first sentence is correct theoretically but relies upon the premise that getting fat is inherently bad. You should instead be treating it neutrally, and confine your suppositions about the healthfulness of fat to the appropriate subject. If one likes to eat, then, absent other considerations, that is a good reason to get fat. I should clarify that “get fat” need not be the intention here. It need only be a consequence. That is an important distinction.

You are quite right about the fact that eating in moderation and increasing one's physical activity can temper fat accumulation. But these are extraneous; they are steps to be taken if avoiding fat gain is one's intention. That intention cannot be assumed.

Indeed, this can be a self defeating excuse for gaining excessive fat, as obesity correlates with an increased risk of type II diabetes.

It is irresponsible to imply causation when the evidence suggests correlation only. This kind of obfuscation is part of the reason why people have such a skewed attitude toward fat and fatness.

Further, the level of physical fitness of a healthy, nonfat adult human being can hardly be called extreme. It is the default physical fitness for a human.

You misunderstood me. I meant that the presence of excess body fat can only inherently preclude the most extreme degrees of fitness. In other words, it is quite within the realm of possibility to be fit and fat in all but the highest degrees of fitness. To wit, you shan't find obese people winning the gold medal for swimming or marathon running.

There is a long range between accepting where one's body is at and self-loathing. Not everyone who seeks to change their body does so out of some tragic sense of self-loathing. Some simply want a different body, and set out to achieve it. This is equally applicable to people who seek to gain fat and those who seek to lose it. Further, setting goals for oneself and achieving them is also a good thing for ones mental state.

This is a non-sequitur. I had pointed out that some people feel better about themselves when they are in a given weight range, even if it is high. What you wrote here does not pertain to that. I never wrote that people can't feel comfortable unless they are fat, and I never would.

You call giving up on a task because it isn't easy maturity. I take it as a sign of maturity that one is willing to take on a long and difficult task to achieve a desired goal.

You beg the question. Even if a person does not desire to be fat, that does not mean that they desire not to be fat. Thus, they may not be “giving up” anything to accept themselves at their given weight.

This seems like an after the fact justification for someone who is or desires to be fat. Why should fatness in of itself symbolize anything? There are a myriad of reasons, both good, bad, and out of a persons control why a person might be fat. What good is done by assigning arbitrary qualities, distinct from the fatness itself or its consequences, when fatness can be arrived at through opposing means?

You are dismissing, in this line of thinking, all that which is not explicitly literal—a brazen absurdity.

My concern is this: This society (and here I'm specifically refering to the United States) has a vast overweight and obese population. Obesity has health consequences.

You speak incorrectly here; you speak knowledgeably but your knowledge is faulty. To remedy your ignorance you should investigate the subject further—and, I entreat, with a more inquisitive ethic. You are better than to need to seek out validation. Accept my challenge, and you will find yourself where I have ended up, understanding that the medical literature on the unhealthfulness of fatness inherently is far more ambiguous and conflicting in its findings than is popularly believed. I have not argued that being fat is healthy, because the literature does not support that either. What it seems to suggest, to me, in my scientific opinion, is that “fat” is not the villain here, but rather that it is one supporting player in a much bigger drama of physiology, sociology, and biochemistry, or, perhaps, that it is not a villain at all, but merely associates with villains.

We as a society should be more concerned with why our society has such a high rate of obesity, what the consequences of this are at a social level, and we can be done to mitigate any negative consequences.

No. We must first determine whether obesity is anything as unhealthy as it is thought to be. However, why bother? That is a classic example of unethical scientific thinking. What we should be concerned with is why the nation has the health problems that it does. If, in answering “why,” we end up on the subject of obesity, then that is where inquiry becomes warranted.

Quote from: BROJ
Josh, I must ask you how was my statement about not being fat "inflating" the neurosis on the subject?

Making disclaimers about belonging or not belonging to a group when discussion that group judgmentally (favorably, unfavorably, or impartially), introduces an inherent bias into the process which is unnecessary and counterproductive. Why? Because it has no significance, yet its mention implies significance, and significance is often perceived by others. For instance, I support gay rights. But if I were to end my arguments by pointing out that I am straight, that could be misinterpreted. For instance, somebody might take it to mean that I support gay rights but am nevertheless homophobic. “Why should it matter if I'm gay or straight?” they might rightly ask.

The same applies no matter the group in question; in this case, fat people.

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: January 18, 2009, 11:11:31 pm »
Quote from: BROJ
Josh, I must ask you how was my statement about not being fat "inflating" the neurosis on the subject?

Making disclaimers about belonging or not belonging to a group when discussion that group judgmentally (favorably, unfavorably, or impartially), introduces an inherent bias into the process which is unnecessary and counterproductive. Why? Because it has no significance, yet its mention implies significance, and significance is often perceived by others. For instance, I support gay rights. But if I were to end my arguments by pointing out that I am straight, that could be misinterpreted. For instance, somebody might take it to mean that I support gay rights but am nevertheless homophobic. “Why should it matter if I'm gay or straight?” they might rightly ask.

The same applies no matter the group in question; in this case, fat people.
Indeed, you are are correct on that point. I suppose I gave the wrong impression -- I will take note of this.

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 18, 2009, 11:46:32 pm »
No. I sent Lovell, a character in my novel, to ascertain the size of Shadow's dong, an internet person.

Oh yeah no that's not weird at all.  :D

EDIT: Now you've piqued my interest. How, pray tell, did Lovell investigate the size of said dong over the internet?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 11:51:22 pm by chrono eric »

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #1374 on: January 18, 2009, 11:54:48 pm »
Ok, that's quite enough, don't you think?

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #1375 on: January 18, 2009, 11:59:42 pm »
I concur. Nor do I wish to know the findings of his investigations, should any conclusive ones ever by any means be discovered. Such things... are best to remain in mystery.

After all, who knows which of us teaflower will send her minions against so as to take account of us. Could be you. Could be me.

But I'd warn Lovell that I have fictional defenders of my own. At least if he wants to avoid the death-dealing end of Kallisteia's brazen spearpoint.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:06:01 am by Daniel Krispin »

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: January 19, 2009, 12:21:05 am »

No, I don't think. Teaflower opened the door to legitimate questioning by bringing up the...unusual...subject matter of her novel in the first place.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: January 19, 2009, 12:22:48 am »
Current gripe: HyperNerd

Reason: Can't leave well enough alone.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #1378 on: January 19, 2009, 12:23:58 am »

No, I don't think. Teaflower opened the door to legitimate questioning by bringing up the...unusual...subject matter of her novel in the first place.

Newsflash: In a startling turn of events, the mission of Lovell, sent out by Miss Teaflower some time in the recent past for the purpose of ascertaining the proportions of undisclosed objects, has been hastily redirected at the figure of chrono eric. We will keep you updated on the results as we receive them.

Happy now?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 12:26:06 am by Daniel Krispin »

chrono eric

• View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: January 19, 2009, 12:28:01 am »
Newsflash: In a startling turn of events, the mission of Lovell, sent out by Miss Teaflower some time in the recent past for the purpose of ascertaining the proportions of undisclosed objects, has been hastily redirected at the figure of chrono eric. We will keep you updated on the results as we receive them.

Happy now?

Sure, I ain't got nothin' to be ashamed of  :D