Author Topic: The "WTF? Check this link out!" thread!  (Read 273569 times)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: The "WTF? Check this link out!" thread!
« Reply #1740 on: July 17, 2009, 12:51:28 am »
Vandalizing Wikipedia should be a national past time

Well, aren't you a sad fuck?
Come now... isn't it adversity that fuels advancement and refinery?

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: July 17, 2009, 12:52:49 am »
You just aren't ever gonna get on Z's good side are you  :lol: , Why the hell would you vandalize a wiki page anyway?

Never mind BROJ explained your simple minded thrills.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #1742 on: July 17, 2009, 12:56:41 am »

Wikipedia barely hangs on as it is. Most of the best work comes from dedicated, tireless editors who sacrifice a lot of free time and emotional well-being to deal with the rigorous process of research and improvement, even subject to peer review. It is not easy to write a great Wikipedia article, and neither is it easy to be an active editor and contributor without burning out. And dealing with vandalism is a sure way to get burned out; it's caused a few editors to even retire from the site. Even though I disagree with some of Wikipedia's policies, and even though its total democracy gets in the way of some good changes or articles, it's still a fantastic project and help to humanity.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: July 17, 2009, 01:01:35 am »
Never mind BROJ explained your simple minded thrills.
Without adversity, there can be no desire for refinery. Needing an opponent, isn't that one of the tenet's of the Springtime of Youth?

Wikipedia barely hangs on as it is. Most of the best work comes from dedicated, tireless editors who sacrifice a lot of free time and emotional well-being to deal with the rigorous process of research and improvement, even subject to peer review. It is not easy to write a great Wikipedia article, and neither is it easy to be an active editor and contributor without burning out. And dealing with vandalism is a sure way to get burned out; it's caused a few editors to even retire from the site. Even though I disagree with some of Wikipedia's policies, and even though its total democracy gets in the way of some good changes or articles, it's still a fantastic project and help to humanity.
Good points, but adversity is still a necessary evil.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:05:06 am by BROJ »

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: July 17, 2009, 01:02:07 am »
By your reasoning, if I went out and burned down a library, I'd be helping society.

No.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: July 17, 2009, 01:06:34 am »
By your reasoning, if I went out and burned down a library, I'd be helping society.

No.
If one burns down a library, everything is lost; with wikipedia everything can be restored. That's the difference.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1746 on: July 17, 2009, 01:12:28 am »
:lol: , Why the hell would you vandalize a wiki page anyway?

1) Its a victimless crime.

2) Its easy to do.

3) No other reason than because it's funny to screw with certain people on the Internet.

I'll agree that my idea of funny is pretty simplistic, but there's nothing wrong with laughter, and I'm not doing it to be mean spirited.

Besides, I'm not even the one that vandalized it in the first place. I support Tact for doing it, though, because it was funny as hell.

Zeality, its already been banned in most educational institutions as a resource. It's a laughingstock at this point, and while Wikipedia can be a good resource to get some very vague background knowledge on a subject, its more advanced information is often questionable at best, as several of my teachers have shown me by example.

Wikipedia's concept of a free online encyclopedia is a great idea, but as far as resources go its pretty much useless at this point, and its fun to tick off the pundits there.

Is it my fault it ended up that way, because I support the vandals? Yeah, probably, you could definitely make that case. But it would've happened even if I was as devoted as its contributors, so at least it was fun along the way. Childish yes, but I'm enjoying my youth while I still have it.

Uncyclopedia, a(mostly) tasteful parody of Wikipedia, is a good site though. Not for resources, but for a good yuk nonetheless.

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: July 17, 2009, 01:12:41 am »
Think of it like this: vandals in this case are the people throwing marbles on the track, their not a fellow racer.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: July 17, 2009, 01:14:21 am »

No.
If one burns down a library, everything is lost; with wikipedia everything can be restored. That's the difference.

Not necessarily, because books are printed in multiple copies; the library could be rebuilt. My example is still valid. Here, have some more:

GOOD SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH RIVALRY

Two scientists who met in college share the dream of discovering renewable energy from nuclear fusion. They end up at different universities and research centers, and pour their passion into their work, dead-set on succeeding before the other. Their desire to succeed and stay ahead of one another lifts their efforts significantly.

BAD SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH RIVALRY

Two scientists who met in college become famous for something, but one is an arsonist. The one who's not has the dream of creating renewable energy from nuclear fusion, but the arsonist keeps burning down his work. His efforts are lifted and multiplied to stay ahead of the arsonist, but in the end, he barely gets anywhere with his research because he spends all of his time either cleaning up ashes or installing fire alarms.

~

Simple. Every second a Wikipedian spends backpedaling to clean up vandalism is a second they can't devote to actually writing and improving articles. This is like the broken window economic theory paraded by certain idiots in the last century, in which a boy hitting a baseball through a window was held to be a economic stimulus because it employed a window-maker, driver, shop-keeper, etc. and so on to replace the window. Keyword is replace: the parable was a fallacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

1) Its a victimless crime.

Wrong: it victimizes the reader by denying them the information they seek, and it victimizes editors by forcing them to undo the vandalism.

2) Its easy to do.

This isn't an argument for anything. Substitute "duhhh lol" if you ever repeat this in the future.

3) No other reason than because it's funny to screw with certain people on the Internet.

Oh, you admit to being a troll. A lot of your recent behavior could make more sense under this light.

Zeality, its already been banned in most educational institutions as a resource. It's a laughingstock at this point, and while Wikipedia can be a good resource to get some very vague background knowledge on a subject, its more advanced information is often questionable at best, as several of my teachers have shown me by example.

Learn how to question authority. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reliability_of_Wikipedia. The most obvious example is the Nature study that showed Wikipedia hit the mark on par with Encyclopedia Britannica. And for the record, my professors disclaim their rules against citing Wikipedia usually with "it's probably right, and I personally use it." Wikipedia is disallowed because it's not peer reviewed and professionally published. Doesn't mean it's wrong. It also does things that traditional encyclopedias can't, such as quickly create articles on recent events that are all sourced to reputable news outlets, or host comprehensive media.

Think of it like this: vandals in this case are the people throwing marbles on the track, their not a fellow racer.

Exactly. And when the race is the education of humanity, it's unethical to fuck it up.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 01:29:00 am by ZeaLitY »

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #1749 on: July 17, 2009, 01:27:42 am »
Wow, you're comparing me to an arsonist. I must have really f-ed up this time.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1750 on: July 17, 2009, 01:27:54 am »

No.

Not necessarily, because books are printed in multiple copies; the library could be rebuilt. My example is still valid. Here, have some more:
Your point being?  :? And not really, because the two do not correlate--the only way they could is if the server holding the information is destroyed. Pure strawman argumentation.

GOOD SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH RIVALRY

Two scientists who met in college share the dream of discovering renewable energy from nuclear fusion. They end up at different universities and research centers, but pour their passion into their work, dead-set on succeeding before the other. Their desire to succeed and stay ahead of one another lift their efforts significantly.

BAD SPRINGTIME OF YOUTH RIVALRY

Two scientists who met in college become famous for something, but one is an arson. The one who's not has the dream of creating renewable energy from nuclear fusion, but the arsonist keeps burning down his work. His efforts are lifted and multiplied to stay ahead of the arson, but in the end, he barely gets anywhere with his research because he spends all of his time either cleaning up ashes or installing fire alarms.
I do not see where arson's more or less permanent damage correlates with vandalism on a wiki, which can simply be reverted.

Simple. Every second a Wikipedian spends backpedaling to clean up vandalism is a second they can't devote to actually writing and improving articles. This is like the broken window economic theory paraded by certain idiots in the last century, in which a boy hitting a baseball through a window was held to be a economic stimulus because it employed a window-maker, driver, shop-keeper, etc. and so on to replace the window. Keyword is replace: the parable was a fallacy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window
What? Replace!=Revert. And giving people a job isn't what I'm talking about... If vandalism happens to a stagnant page, it forces a person to go back over, even if slightly, where an error in the original information could be recognized.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 17, 2009, 01:30:54 am »
BROJ, you are not this dense. Let me start typing in binary logic:

1. The education of humanity is good.
2. Wikipedia editors spend time adding knowledge to Wikipedia articles that can educate humanity.
3. Vandals interfere by adding junk to or deleting parts of articles, which a) require editors to spend time fixing or b) sit unfixed in some articles, misleading readers.
4. Vandals are interfering with the education of humanity.
5. Vandalism is bad.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 17, 2009, 01:37:41 am »
BROJ, you are not this dense. Let me start typing in binary logic:

1. The education of humanity is good.
2. Wikipedia editors spend time adding knowledge to Wikipedia articles that can educate humanity.
3. Vandals interfere by adding junk to or deleting parts of articles, which a) require editors to spend time fixing or b) sit unfixed in some articles, misleading readers.
4. Vandals are interfering with the education of humanity.
5. Vandalism is bad.
Come now ZeaLitY, if you haven't realized it by now, I'm just starting shit. But, the arson/wiki vandalism comparison wasn't very good.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 17, 2009, 01:40:15 am »
Research papers and laboratories can be restored through construction and printing, just as information on Wikipedia can through the push of a button.

I hope the joke was worth the stain you had for the few minutes you espoused a position of total ignorance, and the lingering stain of trolling.

BROJ

• View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 17, 2009, 01:44:47 am »
I hope the joke was worth the stain you had for the few minutes you espoused a position of total ignorance, and the lingering stain of trolling.
I suppose you're right ZeaLitY, sometimes my desire to have fun gets the best of me. I apologize. :)