Author Topic: Video Game Discussion Thread  (Read 199447 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Video Game Discussion Thread
« Reply #1515 on: February 08, 2010, 11:16:52 pm »
Most of those similarities are just literary devices you could attribute to any story...I mean, c'mon..."A love interest" isn't something that ties together anything. It's just a relationship to help move along a story and connect the main character to someone...
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:19:32 pm by V_Translanka »

Lance VII

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
Retro Gaming Extravaganza
« Reply #1516 on: February 08, 2010, 11:28:10 pm »
So, after New Super Mario Bros. and Mega Man 9, I am SO pumped for the next retro installments. Sonic 4 and Mega Man 10 look awesome.

Anyone else excited?

Dapifer

• Guardian (+100)
  • Semper Fidelis, Usque Ad Mortem
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: February 09, 2010, 03:16:35 am »
Yes, Super Mario Bros Wii was full of win, I like the gaming industry going back to it's roots.

2-D sprites should never go out of style, 3D polygons are really pretty, but they don't age very well.

Long live SPRITES!!  :D

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: February 09, 2010, 03:20:46 am »
I love the 2D gaming upsurge, but I don't care for the dated sprites...The 16-Bit era happened...and it was good. There are enough Megaman hacks out there, give me something pretty too and I'll still get it. The Zeroes & ZX games were 2D and still good without the gimmick of nostalgia-driven graphics.

I'm more amped for Super Street Fighter 4 & Metroid: Other M in those terms...But I hope Sonic can come back and not be lame...seems easy enough to make a fast Mario game, right? Although I doubt there as many Sonic hacks as SMB...>_>

ZealKnight

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Loyal Knight of the Kingdom of Zeal
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: February 09, 2010, 07:25:57 pm »
Has anyone noticed that both FF13 and Resonance of Fate are being released on the same day? WTF? Why would Sega do that. In the end Resonance of Fate may just be the better JRPG but they have no publicity and Sega is a dieing company. They screwed themselves. I don't have the money for both currently and it wont look good for the developer and investors when it doesn't sell well at release but only months later after everyone has finished 13 for the second time.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #1520 on: February 10, 2010, 12:28:57 am »
I love the 2D gaming upsurge, but I don't care for the dated sprites...The 16-Bit era happened...and it was good. There are enough Megaman hacks out there, give me something pretty too and I'll still get it. The Zeroes & ZX games were 2D and still good without the gimmick of nostalgia-driven graphics.

I'm more amped for Super Street Fighter 4 & Metroid: Other M in those terms...But I hope Sonic can come back and not be lame...seems easy enough to make a fast Mario game, right? Although I doubt there as many Sonic hacks as SMB...>_>

They're re-releasing the Megaman Zero games as a DS compilation. If I didn't have a DS fat, complete with GBA slot, it'd be very tempting. I recommend it for anyone who didn't play those games the first time through.

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #1521 on: February 10, 2010, 02:17:28 pm »
About the whole FF discussion(wich is my favorite series) I'll quote a friend of mine:

"Chocobos and Mogs are the only thing separating chrono trigger from the FF Series"

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: February 10, 2010, 02:24:22 pm »

About the whole FF discussion(wich is my favorite series) I'll quote a friend of mine:

"Chocobos and Mogs are the only thing separating chrono trigger from the FF Series"

That... and the CTB system and ATB system which distinctly separates the two.

V_Translanka

• Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: February 10, 2010, 07:52:33 pm »
Yeah, I don't recall any text adventure Final Fantasy games...and Mitsuda>Uematsu. :P

idioticidioms

« Reply #1524 on: February 12, 2010, 06:07:56 am »
Has anyone noticed that both FF13 and Resonance of Fate are being released on the same day? WTF? Why would Sega do that. In the end Resonance of Fate may just be the better JRPG but they have no publicity and Sega is a dieing company. They screwed themselves. I don't have the money for both currently and it wont look good for the developer and investors when it doesn't sell well at release but only months later after everyone has finished 13 for the second time.

I think what Sega is hoping for, is that by releasing their game on the same day as FFXIII, that people will see it as being a contender, have their curiousity piqued and ultimately buy it to check it out. After all, when a struggling company has the balls to put their major project up for release on the same day as a well-known title, it has to be good. I'd check it out just for that.

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: February 12, 2010, 10:36:49 am »

That... and the CTB system and ATB system which distinctly separates the two.
Not by much. I heard somewhere that CT was intended to be a FF game early on in development.

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #1526 on: February 12, 2010, 10:39:21 am »
CT was originally intended to be FFVII, but they felt that it would be better as a "stand-alone game"(at the time, that's what it was) and that FFVII should be on 3-D

Lance VII

• Power to the fans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: February 12, 2010, 10:40:25 am »
CT was originally intended to be FFVII, but they felt that it would be better as a "stand-alone game"(at the time, that's what it was) and that FFVII should be on 3-D
Bah. I think I'm the only one on the planet that dislikes FF7.

idioticidioms

« Reply #1528 on: February 12, 2010, 10:45:05 am »
I used to dislike FFVII for the sole reason that everyone my age called it the best final fantasy game ever when it came out. It was the first final fantasy game they ever played, and they were all talking about how great it was. Pissed me off to no end that millions of people bypassed games that came out on SNES and NES to praise a game that was in 3D. Yeah, I'm talking to all of you graphics-whores out there. Don't get me wrong, I love good graphics, but at the time, that was the only thing that really made it great. The storyline was ok, But it was kind of standard for Final Fantasy games by that point, the graphics were the only groundbreaking thing to be had for it, and earlier games definitely had it beat for gameplay and difficulty.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy playing VII, but it never lived up to all the hype that people gave it and still give it.

_Janus_

• Porrean (+50)
  • The Ruin of Zeal
    • View Profile
    • diamonddeoxys.hi5.com
« Reply #1529 on: February 12, 2010, 10:47:15 am »
The Whole VII Compilation is my "second favorite" FF, but, imo, the best is the Pinnacle of 2-D RPGs, along with Chrono Trigger=FFVI, my favorite game ever.

Had a much better story, much better "gimmick", much better ost...
With this said, the only FF I haven't played yet is XIII