Poll

If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?

Eliminate all the funny accents.
6 (3.7%)
Increase the game's difficulty.
9 (5.5%)
Give Zoah some clothes.
4 (2.4%)
Totally different battle system -- return to ye olde Active Time Battle System days!
9 (5.5%)
Fewer playable characters altogether -- a Final Fantasy VI-size roster can produce just the right balance between variety and character development.
40 (24.4%)
MORE cute comic relief characters -- the story's too depressing as it is!
3 (1.8%)
Greater involvement from the CT crew -- especially Crono, Marle, Lucca, Magus, and Robo.
45 (27.4%)
Make one or more of the following characters playable: Dario, Belthasar, Miguel, Garai, the small Fire Dragon, other (please specify).
6 (3.7%)
Better explain the underlying story using Compendium theory, and in a way that isn't so esoteric and cramped into the last minutes of the game.
23 (14%)
OTHER! (Please post what!)
19 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 156

Author Topic: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?  (Read 81277 times)

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
Re: If you could change Chrono Cross, how would you do it?
« Reply #210 on: January 15, 2009, 10:19:12 pm »
So? Just because you got to play it on a ROM doesn't mean shit. You'd be surprised how many people were oblivious to ROMs, especially back then. The fact that CC sold so much more than CT did means that there's a good percentage of people in there who didn't play CT and bought CC for whatever reason. It's pointless to try to deny this unless you can find evidence that every single person that bought CC and not CT had already played it via a ROM or a friend...which you can't, because it's complete bullshit. Therefore, the massive gap in sales is a very good indication of this.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:28:37 pm by The Black Wind »

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #211 on: January 15, 2009, 10:33:01 pm »
You can only prove it as much as you can prove that people bought CC without playing CT & loved it. Sales charts proves neither.

Zergplex

• Springtime of Youth
  • Guardian (+100)
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • Zergplex ~ Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #212 on: January 15, 2009, 10:46:52 pm »
I'm a big fan of CT and feel the CT references were one of the best parts of Chrono Cross.

I will say though that 9 of my group of friends bought Chrono Cross and loved it without ever hearing of Chrono Trigger before it (only myself and 2 friends had played Chrono Trigger, and neither of those friends bothered with Chrono Cross), and for 3 of those people it was their first RPG. I of course showed them the glory of CT afterward when I realized they had never played it.

Hearsay and personal stories don't mean anything in the long run I know, but I'd like to share that in my experience there are many people who played CC without any knowledge of CT.

HyperNerd

• Springtime of Youth
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • In Guardia we trust
    • View Profile
    • Surreal Squad homepage
« Reply #213 on: January 15, 2009, 11:10:41 pm »
I played CT with no knowledge of CC, and when I heard of the sequel, I uttered these very words: " Holy. Shit. I'm buying that game soon." However, after learning the expensive price on Ebay, it had to wait. Ad then I finally bought it...  :D

My point  is that they are some of, if not THE Best RPG's ever made. In my opinion, of Course. I don't call favorites- As they are the same series.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 16, 2009, 12:15:37 pm »
When I started playing CC, I played it on my brother's PS2. And it was a big PS2, before the skinny PS2s came out.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #215 on: January 16, 2009, 12:37:34 pm »
What are the real sales figures of both CC and CT? I mean, you can also look at their early sales figures: in 10 weeks the SNES version of CT sold 2.31 million copies worldwide, whereas CC sold .69 million copies worldwide.

Honestly though, I don't really know how accurate these numbers are: CT reportedly sold 290,000 copies outside of Japan (where it sold 2.36 million), whereas CC has definitely sold over 1.5 million copies worldwide, as that's how it got its "Greatest Hits" notoriety. Yet most people contend that CC sold more copies than CT. I don't even know which sold more, so let's see the numbers to back up these claims.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 16, 2009, 06:00:07 pm »
I don't really care enough to look it up.  They're both wonderful games, and how well they sold has no bearing on that.

mav

• Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • Gentleman Waiting in the Train Station at Twilight
    • View Profile
    • The RPG Realm
« Reply #217 on: January 17, 2009, 11:43:29 am »
I agree: I've argued over and over that sales figures, while impressive to the creators of the game, aren't the fairest and most accurate indication of that game's success. But people keeping toting claims without backing 'em up--if you're gonna say Cross outsold Trigger by quite a bit, I'd like to know how much.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 17, 2009, 01:30:35 pm »
you could just walk away.   Or do this thing, that this guy's doing:

:picardno

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 18, 2009, 02:10:28 am »
you could just walk away.   Or do this thing, that this guy's doing:

:picardno
That would be a facepalm.

Picard's is nice, here is some more ala infinitum.

CelestialPhantasm

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 18, 2009, 05:23:18 am »
Ah, I appreciate the Phoenix Wright... though it's somewhat exaggerated for this case.

Shadow D. Darkman

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • "Chrono Cross" is good, and spoilers never hurt...
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 18, 2009, 11:49:46 am »
I wouldn't say Phoenix/Naruhodo is doing a FacePalm, since his hands are at the sides of his head.

Then again, what do I know?

The Black Wind

• Porrean (+50)
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 18, 2009, 04:42:51 pm »
I never even really cared how much more CC sold than CT (I  obviously prefer CT regardless, if you couldn't tell by my posts), nor did I even know what the sales figures were until I came here. I think it was Darkman's signature that boasted how CC sold twice as much or something.

FouCapitan

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • Whatever it is, I'm against it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 18, 2009, 04:53:35 pm »
I never even really cared how much more CC sold than CT (I  obviously prefer CT regardless, if you couldn't tell by my posts), nor did I even know what the sales figures were until I came here. I think it was Darkman's signature that boasted how CC sold twice as much or something.
Even if those figures are accurate, you have to take into account that the number of gamers in the world increased dramatically in the late ninetees, following the release of PS1, Dreamcast, and N64.  So of course older games would have sold less.

teaflower

• Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Dreams are the gateway to reality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 18, 2009, 04:55:28 pm »
If I could change Chrono Cross, I'd cut some of the minor characters, involve more of the CT cast, and give everyone decent backstory! We love the backstory, you see. Overall, it's a good game, but the characters are mostly flat.