Author Topic: Whats your Chrono Trigger Story?  (Read 2039 times)

ultramarine

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Whats your Chrono Trigger Story?
« on: March 12, 2006, 03:05:32 pm »
I was only about 6 (or 7 maybe) when I first played Chrono Trigger.
I remember renting it and somehow placing the rom in 2 floppy disks and playing it on my Super Nintedo with something called a Game Doctor (extracts roms from the cartride and copies them to floppy disks to play via game doctor port)

Back then, Chrono Trigger was really hard for me.  The game even erased a few times (since the floppy disks are so unreliable) and I only reached to the boss battle with Magus.

A few years later, I remember picking up Chrono Trigger again.  This time, if i remember correctly, I was able to get to the Lavos Core.  However, I was unable to beat it.  Once again, I just stopped playing, and eventually the game save deleted again (floppy disks suck).

Once again, after a few years I bought the PSX version of Chrono Trigger.  This time I reached the Boss Battle with Azala.  I got bored with Chrono Trigger and moved to different things.

A few weeks ago, I took up Chrono Trigger again.  This time, I played it on my PSP with a SNES emulator.  I became obssessed with it and beat it under a week.  For once, I actually beat the Lavos Core and won.  I'm 15 now.

Looking back over the years, I find my Chrono Trigger story pretty strange and somewhat unique.  (playing with floppy disks on the SNES?!)
So, whats your Chrono Trigger story?

Resurrected Ice

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 05:39:21 pm »
lol You remind me of myself as far as getting into video games at an early age.  I started playing games at 3, but unfortunately, at my time of being that young, we only had the games like Pac-Man, Missile Command, Centipede, and the rest of the Atari games.  :D  In other words, I'm near 25 now.

Anyway, getting back to the topic at hand.....My first time playing CT was (I think) about 2 years after it had been released.  A friend of mine told me about the game and being that he noted I liked the FF games, I should try CT out.  Being that I heard good things about the game in the past, I took his word for it and decided to try it out at his house while I was hanging out.

Now, he decided to go an opposite direction of what most gamers would do and he asked me if I wanted to beat the game immediately.  I said "sure" so he decided to get a NG+ going for me.  He guided me through the "cheap" method to fight Lavos and the first ending I ever saw was the development room ending.  This could be something to do of why I like the development room endings (or it could just be that I think the developers are just funny and extremely messed up...).

At any rate, a few weeks later, I asked him if I could borrow the game from him and he let me.  Despite his "advice", I started with a true New Game rather than a NG+ because I don't believe in cheating and I wanted a challenge.  I could not stop playing this game from that moment forward.  It got to the point where I kept replaying the game over and over and about a month later, he was kind of getting on my ass for me to give it back.  :D

I think it was about 3 years later that I saw another friend of mine had this game.  I played it for a bit and got to the part of the bridge war in 600 within about 2 hours (or less (I don't know for sure as this was 6 years ago...)).  But he couldn't let me borrow it because he was borrowing it from someone else.  I think later that day, I called a local game store and asked if they had it in stock.  They had a used copy so I went there immediately, bought it, and finally had the benefit of having my own copy.

Of course, when I heard a re-release was coming out for PSX, I went and bought that too, but in that case, it was mainly for the sake of getting FF4 and because I didn't own a copy of that.  But I was still quite impressed with all the extras that the PSX CT had and made it my priority once again to unlock all endings and see all the bonus features.

But anyway, that's my story regarding CT.

VinceIP

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 06:00:04 pm »
Oh man... :)

It was my 7th or 8th birthday, I think. My grandmother bought me a Super Nintendo with a whole bunch of really cool games including Donkey Kong Country, Illusion of Gaia, Mario Paint, Zelda: A Link to the Past, F-Zero, some other great games, and of course, Chrono Trigger.

I remember putting my CT cartridge in for the first time. I was up late while everyone else was sleeping. There were saved games there already for some reason. One right before the second Lavos battle, and one in 2300 AD. I loaded the 2300 AD save and thought the monsters were scary. :( So I waited until morning to play.

After I started a new game , I got up to the Yakra battle. Wow, was it HARD. I tried and tried to beat him and gave up. Then my neighbor (a girl) came over and I wanted to show her my games. I popped in CT and loaded the Yakra fight, commenting on how hard it is. But then I beat him, right there in front of my friend. :D

As I played on I was addicted. I would rather stay home and play CT then go outside and play with my friends. I wouldn't even let my siblings watch TV because I told them I had to play Chrono Trigger. I played it so much in front of them, to this very day, they know the names of all the main characters. Heh heh. I got grounded from the game many times because my mom said that, "there is a demon inside that game". I would just be thinking, "omg yeh the demon is magus n i hav 2 kill him n0w!!!1!1!!".

After I beat it a few times I just got bored and moved on to Illlusion of Gaia and Zelda. Then years later at age 14 here I am playing ROMs.

sssssz

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2006, 06:30:49 pm »
I played Chrono Trigger for the first time... a month ago. Somehow, Chrono Trigger was brought up in this IRC channel I frequent. I was like, lozl what are you people talking about this time? And everyone was like, ozmgwtf, sssssz you phail the internet and I was like OMG!!! ur mean! :(((((. Well, I've been meaning to play that thing for quite a while, and had it conveniently in my computer too. So... School was off one Friday, so I sat in front of my computer and started playing Chrono Trigger the evening before. I ended up spending 2/3 to 3/4 of my weekend on Chrono Trigger alone. Two weeks later I started hunting for Chrono series material on the net, and a month later I gave birth to the monstrosity that sits in the Time board.

Sigh. I'm a lifeless creature.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2006, 06:52:14 pm »
Ramsus gave me a list of good SNES RPGs to play back in 2002. I beat Breath of Fire I and II, and then played Chrono Trigger. I never really finished the list after that.

CatchRBFivy

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~catchRBFivy
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 07:34:41 pm »
And you created all this after knowing about it for only a year.  I would have never guessed.

I randomly chose to rent CT from Blockbuster right after it came out.  I'm 18 now, but I forget what year I played it, maybe I was 10 since Ultramarine was 6-7.  I never beat it because of the 3 day rentals back then, but I did attempt Lavos on one of the other files left there by another renter and I got beat in a long long battle because I was too dumb to kill the left core first.  I eventually beat it on the PSX though.

Daniel Krispin

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 09:36:36 pm »
Quote from: ZeaLitY
Ramsus gave me a list of good SNES RPGs to play back in 2002. I beat Breath of Fire I and II, and then played Chrono Trigger. I never really finished the list after that.

That recently, ZeaLitY? I thought you were a more old-school Chrono player? Well, personally, I'm in your camp with this one: I played it during the summer after first year University, which would make it... well... 2002 as well, when I was 18.

One of my friends really wanted to play Super Mario with me, so he had me download an emulator and brought over a whole bunch of Roms. Well, I never had that much interest in Mario, so never played it much. But going through the list, found Chrono Trigger and though 'that sounds cool'... or at least more so than Donkey Kong and the like. Well, I started playing it, and realized it was an RPG, so that kind of turned me off it. Too much to learn in the way of items and weapons and all. But I stuck with it, for the silly reason that I thought it was neat you could use custom names. I stopped playing after I got to 2300 for a while, but returned to it eventually. I figured the game was nigh well over when I got to the End of Time. I was a little off, eh? Then... well, I started writing Chrono fanfiction that fall, joined some Chrono forums, and that's that.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2006, 09:44:35 pm »
I first played Chrono Trigger in August, 2001, after it was recommended by a friend of mine.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 12:24:44 am »
Read about it in Nintendo Power when I was a kid. When it came out, I went down and rented it, and devoted the weekend to beating it. The guy at the store even gave me the posters that came with the game when they were setting it up.

Never wound up buying a SNES copy, but when the PSX version came out, you can bet I was on that. Rolled up to Best Buy the day it was released, and did not actually stop moving until I was at the check out. I was a man on a mission.

Sentenal

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 01:20:05 am »
My older brother was in College.  His friend "loaned" him Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, and F-Zero.  He lost contact with him, so they are practically mine now, since my older brother has passed stuwardship of the SNES to me basically.

I remmber my brothers friend telling us that eventally, one of the characters eventually dies.  By that time, I had already played (not beaten, I think.  Give me a break, I was a kid) FF4 and FF6, so I was into RPGs.  So I started Chrono Trigger, and was hooked.  I actually thought it was gonna be Lucca who died, for some reason, and thought it would be on Mt. Woe.

Anyway, I played the game to death and beat it.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2006, 05:36:19 am »
...hasn't this thread been done a bajillion times, including in polls?

As for me, I saw a friend playing it, and thought it was the most gorgeous game I'd ever seen (this was soon after it was released). Soon after, I went to my local small-town rental store, paid $2 and rented it for two nights, and did this about a million times with whatever money I could scrounge by doing chores and giving big grins to generous relatives.

cupn00dles

• Beneath this mask there is more than flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 03:59:40 pm »
It`s funny how people like telling and retelling the story of how they first got their hands on CT

Sorta feels like that old story already known by everyone and which your grandfather keeps retelling in every family reunion and everyone knows he`ll keep telling it forever  :lol:

But still...  :roll:

I first played CT several years ago at this cousin`s o` mine house, and really enjoyed it. I didn`t know much english at the time, nor had I much experience with RPGs so we didn`t really get too far in the game.

A few years later I got the rom and now with satisfactory english knowledge beat the game like a hundread times  :lol:

Later I acquired CC for my PSX and then the CT remake, but never really played it (the CT remake, that is)  :roll:  Only got to watch the FMVs using game shark  :lol:

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 04:18:13 pm »
I just saw it on a ROM site (oopsy!) and remembered my friend saying something about it. And I dow- borrowed it.

Hadriel

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 07:25:10 pm »
My first love in gaming, Zelda, led me to Chrono Trigger.  I joined a Zelda forum where practically everyone was addicted to CT like crack.  They all kept telling me "wtf j00 dont no wat krunk trigga is u phail!!11!1111z0rd!!1eleventyone"  The summer between my junior and senior years of high school, I finally gave in and played it.

I'm currently researching a way to inject CT intravenously.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 11:18:03 pm »
Quote from: Hadriel
I'm currently researching a way to inject CT intravenously.

Keep me posted.