Author Topic: Bronzerang?  (Read 1952 times)

SRAX

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Bronzerang?
« on: March 09, 2006, 07:59:33 pm »
Is it possible to acquire the Bronzerang without a Gameshark?  It is listed as Mel's initial equipment, but she always joins the team with a Steelerang.  Does this belong in the same category as Bone Shot and Ghetz's Shirt?

Perhaps the plan was originally to be able to acquire Mel a bit earlier in the game, so they felt she should have a weaker weapon as her initial equipment.  If you look in the script, there is no text for her to join the team without having Kid talk to her.  However, she has dialogue for Opassa Beach even though it is impossible to get her before you go through the temporal distortion:

Mel:
   Where angels lose their way...?
   Does this beach have
   anything to do with it?

Mel:
   Hurry, Serge.!
   We don't have time for
   a stroll on the beach!
   C'mon, I promise
   I'll do my best!

This is marked as valid in the game script, but it should probably be in the [Lost / Unused Lines] section since it should never occur through normal gameplay.  There is not text for any other character that should not be present, and there is not even dialogue for all characters that could be present (covered by dialogue for "Member").  So, they went out of their way to put in text for her that went unused.  Sorry that I got a little OT there.

Well, thank you in advance if you have the answer.

Stupid Obsessive-Compulsive need for 100% completion.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 11:22:32 am »
Yeah, I'm not aware of any other way to obtain it. I did not check this scenario out when I completed the encyclopedia either; I believe you are right.

Resurrected Ice

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 11:24:08 am »
Is it possible to acquire the Bronzerang without a Gameshark? It is listed as Mel's initial equipment, but she always joins the team with a Steelerang.

While I never even heard of this weapon until now, I would say no to it.  Hell, regarding her initial weapon, for how late in the game you get her, she should be either starting with a Silverang or Rockerang.

Of course, I find Mel to be an overall useless character anyway.  She hardly has any kind of Hit% and even if she did, she's not really powerful in any way.  Her dual tech with Kid is a waste if you ask me....Granted, it increases the chance of a successful steal, but of course, how much good stuff is even left to steal by the time you get her?  Or how often can you still successfully steal with just one character?  I guess the only decent uses for her is in a NG+ with the relief charm and make a thief party and/or just to eventually build up to having every character at once in the game....  Just on that note, I always wait until my last NG+ through before I take the option to save Kid as I'd rather not receive the "punishment" characters until the very end.  Actually, come to think of it, all of the characters in the option of saving Kid are quite useless....

Anyway, back on topic...Just seeing that little bit of script and the concept of a "Bronzerang", I wouldn't doubt that she was intended to join the party earlier.  It would have been kind of nice if they did it that way just regarding my point of how useless she is by the time you get her in the game...

SRAX

• Iokan (+1)
    • View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 01:38:40 am »
Thank you.  That is exactly what I wanted to hear.

Quote from: Resurrected Ice
Hell, regarding her initial weapon, for how late in the game you get her, she should be either starting with a Silverang or Rockerang.

On the "punishment" characters path, Mel can join the team anytime Kid is in your party after Korcha gives you the boat.  That means on that path, you could obtain her before any other character that begins with Iron equipment (except Skelly, which becomes available at the same time).  In fact, this is earlier than you can obtain Pip on that path, and he begins with Bronze equipment.

Personally, I don't find the path "punishment."  Korcha and Mel are not good, but Razzly has excellent magic power from the beginning.  The only downside is that you don't get Glenn, which I will admit is a major downside.

I question whether Double Take does what is indicated.  The success rate of Pilfer/Pillage/Snatch/Double Take seems to be related to the character's hit probability.  If you want to succeed at stealing 99% of the time, always connect with a medium (2) hit immediately before performing the move.  The enemies can move between the hit and the steal as long as the character is not targetted in the process (if the character runs back up to the enemy to continue a string of attacks you are good to go).  I've done it this way my last time through the game, and I've only seen Pilfer miss once, and I have never seen Pillage or Snatch miss.  The funny thing is this works for Double Take, too.  Just make sure the character that uses the command smacked the opponent a few times before using it.  Typically, I start a fight like this: Thief does light (1) hit, thief does medium (2) hit, thief steals.  If the character gets targetted in the proceess, I try to hit with the medium hit again before attempting the steal.  As I said, it works 99% of the time.  I'd even assume that the Ninety-Nine Element would work as well, but it is not as fast unless you use several pieces of Dreamer's equipment.

I *believe* Double Take increases the probability of getting rare steals, since I almost never see rare steals unless I use Double Take.  It definitely doesn't have much of an impact on success rates since it seems to miss just as often without getting hits prior to using it.

Once again, thank you for putting my mind at ease.  I doubted that I missed the Bronzerang, but I wanted to be sure.

Resurrected Ice

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 09:25:28 am »
Hmmm....I didn't know that you could get Mel a lot earlier...I'll have to try that out next time I take her path.

While this part may be a little off topic, I guess Razzly isn't so bad in a sense.  I think it's just the "fairy" nice attitude that annoys me and the constant use of "Tee-hee."  I mean, who uses a phrase like that anymore?  :D  But I guess she's not so bad based on she's one of the few Triple Tech characters in that game (unfortunately, it requires her Lv7 tech and we all know that's a very conditional tech to acquire).

A little back on topic, if stealing is based on your percentage rate, maybe that's why Kid misses a lot with me.  But then again, I normally steal from every type of enemy.  Boss fights are still usually successful all the time.

Mystik3eb

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/dfscanl/index.html
Bronzerang?
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2006, 03:28:34 am »
Frankly I think the only benefit of NOT saving Kid is getting Glenn. The chance to fight guys, including the Hydra, and lose that star level and stat level-up opportunities doesn't make the other shitty characters you get by not saving her (aside from Glenn, obviously) worth it.

GrayLensman

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
    • View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2006, 02:44:32 pm »
You make up your star levels soon enough at Mount Pyre.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2006, 05:34:01 am »
...wait, hold on. Lemme clarify what I mean.

This is a gameplay point that I've never had true clarity on, merely assumptions, and I wondered if you guys shared that assumption.

Characters' stats level up after fighting battles, but stats quit levelling up for each character after a time, and don't level up again...until a new star level is reached. Then each character can level up stats again continuously after battles until they...well, can't anymore. Then they gain another star level and the cycle starts over.

Is this right? Cuz that's the way it seems to me. Thus making my point valid on terms of better characters (save Glenn) and sooner opportunities to level stats up.

DeweyisOverrated

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2006, 04:30:36 pm »
The thing about not getting a star-level from the Hydra is irrelevant, because you'll end up gaining that star later anyway.  

For example, if you fight the Hydra, you get a star there, but when you face Harle, you only get a stat bonus.  If you DONT fight the hydra, you get the star level at Harle.

Resurrected Ice

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2006, 06:18:22 pm »
For example, if you fight the Hydra, you get a star there, but when you face Harle, you only get a stat bonus. If you DONT fight the hydra, you get the star level at Harle.

Actually, it doesn't matter which path you take and you don't get a star level from Harle (either that, or I've got a glitched disc...).  Normally, I always take the path to not save her so I can get some decent characters recruited.  So in reality, I don't remember if fighting the dwarves was also a star (or if the Pentapus was...), but I think if you don't save Kid, you actually lose 2 stars.  Granted, some may go nuts over that, but it doesn't really worry me too much even on a regular new game as your overall stats aren't going to be too much different anyway throughout your first game.

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2006, 04:46:10 am »
Harle doesn't give you a star, and yeah, you do lose two stars, which is why I always preferred that path. Simply for the chance to level stats up sooner.

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 05:10:37 pm »
You get the same amount of stars for either path.  Saving Kid gives you stars for the dwarves and hydra.  Not saving Kid will give you stars for Fargo and Polly.  On the save Kid path, Fargo and Polly do not give stars

Mystik3eb

• View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 02:33:00 am »
Yes they do. As far as I remember it.

Hopeful Death

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
Bronzerang?
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 04:53:49 am »