Author Topic: Thanks for Crimson Echoes.  (Read 7571 times)

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks for Crimson Echoes.
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2018, 03:40:40 pm »
Sorry about the double post but I just wanted to say how awesome the side quests are! I'm on my last one (grinding all my characters right now to get all of their techs and to get to level 60) but wow! I'm so impressed! I wasn't even expecting side quests!

Balroth

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2018, 09:29:49 am »
Sorry for reviving the thread, but really, this mod/romhack was an unexpected surprise.

I played CT like, 2 years ago, and up to this day, I am still awed at the quality - especially knowing its age! And seeing the "synopsis" + hatred of CC (aka more a spin-off than sequel), I never gave it a try, but was interested.

Fast forward, I saw that "Chrono Break" trailer (instant depression btw), and I'm kinda nostalgic ever since, but I have so little time to play games. But recently, work made me burnout, and I had to play a sequel, whatever that was. Crimson Echoes is something I marked as a "maybe" to play instead of CC. And I did. 0 regrets!

It's not as good as Chrono Trigger, but even with the bar so high, it is remarkable. So, to the developers that made this (I feel bad seeing "UNUSED" on Credits) I thank you wholeheartedly. I'm sure you spent soooooooooo much time on this, sacrificed other aspects of your life to finish this, and it paid off. I truly enjoyed it. It definitely worked as a full sequel to me. (even though you were restricted to connect it to CC)

In the end, I had to make an account to express my gratitude, since I cannot contact the devs directly.

Thank you so much!!

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2018, 12:55:09 pm »
Sorry for reviving the thread, but really, this mod/romhack was an unexpected surprise.

No joke: we love thread necromancy around here. We explicitly state that, unlike a lot of forums, we both endorse and encourage thread necromancy. So revive any threads that seem interesting to you!

In the end, I had to make an account to express my gratitude, since I cannot contact the devs directly.

Hopefully you like this place to stay active! This is an awesome group of individuals, and a lot of the non-active forumites still come out of the woodwork occasionally to say hello. It's pretty amazing that a 23-year old game with only one full sequel (Radical Dreamers sort of doesn't count) still has an active website with an active fanbase!

And don't forget -- there's a new Chrono hack coming out soon...

Balroth

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2018, 04:09:48 pm »
I am indeed impressed by the fact there is an Chrono community still going (and judging by this site, it has so much good information like archived interviews and more) although it does make sense, because the game's age doesn't really matter when its quality, even by today's standards is unexpectedly high xD  Although, it's kinda sad that it gets more and more obscured everyday (also that Square Enix handling of the IP is more than painful)

And don't forget -- there's a new Chrono hack coming out soon...
Do you mean a big chrono romhack like CE? If so, where can I find more details on it?  :D

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2018, 04:52:47 pm »
Do you mean a big chrono romhack like CE? If so, where can I find more details on it?

Well, it's not a new story, if that's what you mean. Some of us are beta testing a mod that adds in playable Schala with new story content after the Ocean Palace. There are some minor additions up to that point, but that's where the big changes come into play.

Balroth

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2018, 09:52:08 pm »
Do you mean a big chrono romhack like CE? If so, where can I find more details on it?
Well, it's not a new story, if that's what you mean. Some of us are beta testing a mod that adds in playable Schala with new story content after the Ocean Palace. There are some minor additions up to that point, but that's where the big changes come into play.
Sounds interesting, mostly the story content after the Ocean Palace

Well, I will have it in mind although I honestly doubt any romhack can compare with Crimson Echoes (although, no need for comparison since any new good chrono romhack is something to play) and I sadly don't have much time to play (I have prophet's guille on my sights even before CE)

Looking forward to it when it does release though! I'm just so glad Chrono is still going  :D

chrono.source

• Architect of Kajar
  • Enlightened One (+200)
  • Chrono Source (CT Prequel) Creator
    • View Profile
    • Chrono Source - A Chrono Trigger Prequel
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2018, 03:54:10 pm »
I Love necromancy..... err..... thread revival.

Glad to have you aboard. Please come by as often as you can. There's still a lot going on as Boo mentioned. Feel free to add your opinions and thoughts on anything around here; it's always nice to see a fresh perspective on things.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2018, 02:47:08 am »
I still need to play CE.  I started it a few years back, and lost interest fairly quick.  I wasn't in the right mood for it, but it's still on my bucket list.  I'm also pretty interested in this new romhack!

Balroth

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2018, 03:19:19 am »
I still need to play CE.  I started it a few years back, and lost interest fairly quick.  I wasn't in the right mood for it, but it's still on my bucket list.  I'm also pretty interested in this new romhack!
Well, different tastes, but I had really low expectations being a romhack, but I was surprised to say the least. I have to admit I did put cheats for levelling, because defeat was often and I hate savescumming, but regardless I did enjoy it from start to end. Although, there are many flaws, but that is to be expected from the lack of time/budget - the nature of every romhack/mod haha

If you do try it out, I hope you enjoy it, for me, it did re-spark that CT feel  :D

Glad to have you aboard. Please come by as often as you can. There's still a lot going on as Boo mentioned. Feel free to add your opinions and thoughts on anything around here; it's always nice to see a fresh perspective on things.
It is amazing that romhacks are still being developed, although with the whole schala rom mentioned above, I think it's interesting since it's more of a "remaster"/deluxe edition xD I wouldn't play CT again because I have so many games im dying to play before that (Chrono Cross, Xenoblade 1, Xenogears etc etc) but it's interesting to think about. A "definitive" edition to get introduced, that will cover every loose end, instead of current CT. I really wonder what my opinions would be if in my very first playthrough I saved Schala  :shock:

Regardless, when I find time, I will post some heavy topics I have in mind (sadly, I'm late to the party but it's nice that there are other active fans and more knowledgeable than me), since this is more of a discussion/analysis site, and I love deconstruction (so many threads to read before that too~ )

PrincessNadia78

• Chronicler of Time
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • I didn’t “pick up” anything! It’s common sense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 10:55:28 pm »
I absolutely LOVED CE. I felt like I was playing a true sequel. It’s one of my fav games! I think maybe one of my next gaming things to do is to play CT, CE and CC one right after the other.  :D

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 05:16:07 pm »
Zeality you ROCK! Don't ever downplay this game, my friends and I consider Crimson Echoes a true, nearly official Chrono Trigger 2, in fact that's what its listed as on my computer.

This was not only what I consider a great game, but because I'm such a CT fan, I think CE is possibly my favorite game of all time, and that's factoring against FF7, Secret of Mana, Super Metroid, GTA5 and Mario 3. So my absolute condolences to you Zeality, and I apologize for this next part.

FUCK square. Anytime I'm pissed I send off hatemail for their censorship. Fuck copyright laws. Believe me I get their point but when you see elementary schools in Florida have pictures of Mickey Mouse removed from the walls that were drawn by small children because Disney sticks their nose in there, you know these rules do more harm than good. This was a game that Square could have sold themselves, I'm sure you guys didn't make it for money. If anything, this convinced a friend of mine to pay for a download of CT on his brother's virtual console, so the fan community just made square money, there ya go Square you whores. I for one have sent the CEO, their legal team, and loads of executives tons of nasty hate mail for their C&D letter, and am more than happy to not only host downloads for CE patches and the patched ROM, but I'm willing to fight head on even with legal recourse myself  simply to make noise in outrage at the wonderful art people aren't allowed to make. Anyone know why Wiz Khalifa never got sued over his song 'never been' which used Schala's theme?

Anyway. Zeality, you absolutly rock. This game was, although much harder than CT, one of my best memories I have. I first played CT at age 24, and was so impacted it is written in my mind as a childhood memory as if I played it at age 9. It was that good and CE was better in my eyes, THAT'S how good I think it is, and I still have no idea how the time traveling immunity works yet.

If you ever want anyone to act as a legal shield, I've got money and am willing to take whatever heat Square fires at you, I'll host files, advertize for ya, anything you want, name it. Long live Crimson Echoes!!

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 03:46:17 am »
Anyone know why Wiz Khalifa never got sued over his song 'never been' which used Schala's theme?

I would imagine that he pays royalties for the samples.  It's relatively cheap, and easy to set up, and usually doesn't require any actual negotiation with the copyright holder.  As long as he's paying royalties Square would have no legal basis to sue.

It's the same system I'll be using for Cross Symphonic. :)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 03:47:17 am by CptOvaltine »

Redline57

• Guardian (+100)
  • Crimson Echoes rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2018, 01:24:21 am »
If I offer to pay Square a royalty, think we can then officially release Crimson Echoes? Like open and legally?

Granted someone needs to fix that red cartridge. By my calculations, the ROM is so big that on a regular SNES cart, the game doesn't actually finish correctly. The coding then would need effecientizing (this is a word?) to shrink it size some.

Mauron

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • Nu-chan
    • View Profile
    • Maurtopia
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2018, 03:57:57 am »
It's definitely possible to run a 6MB ROM on real hardware. My understanding is something doesn't work quite right in Crimson Echoes, which causes it crash on real hardware or accurate emulators at a certain point. Back when CE was developing, both SNES9x and and ZSNES were inaccurate in a few areas.

CptOvaltine

• Synergist of Marbule
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2018, 04:37:59 am »
If I offer to pay Square a royalty, think we can then officially release Crimson Echoes? Like open and legally?

Granted someone needs to fix that red cartridge. By my calculations, the ROM is so big that on a regular SNES cart, the game doesn't actually finish correctly. The coding then would need effecientizing (this is a word?) to shrink it size some.

In theory, yes...but theory is about as far as you'll get with that one.  With music you can purchase mechanical licenses to legally cover and distribute music that you've made without having to negotiate with the copyright holder.  In fact, as long as the original score was released at some point in the United States, the copyright holder can't stop you from releasing a cover even if they wanted to, as long as you're paying royalties.

When it comes to intellectual property you have to negotiate directly with the copyright holder.  In this case, you would have to get in direct contact with Square Enix and open good faith negotiations, which, give their iron grip over their IP, is pretty unlikely. The only way that CE would happen legally is if SE purchased (or sued for) the concept then took it in house and redeveloped it to fit whatever standard they deem appropriate.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 04:39:00 am by CptOvaltine »