Author Topic: Newsflash: Chrono Cross was adored by fans and critics  (Read 8511 times)

Silvercry

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
    • The Great Silvercry's Blog
Re: Newsflash: Chrono Cross was adored by fans and critics
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 07:29:49 pm »
I just love how whenever a game dares have a leveling system that differs from the tried and true "fight, gain exp, level up, repeat until you're god" formula, its automatically sucks.  Junction, Star Level, Sphere Grid, whatever.  I'm sure I’ll be hearing the same thing about FF XII's License Board in a few months.

There's nothing wrong with CC's level system.  Its just different.  I actually found easier than most systems.  Beat a boss, get a stat boost.  What could be simpler?

Now the battle system...ugh.  Its a water downed version of the one found in Xenogears, and not as versatile as what would be found later in Xenosaga (EP1 - you know, the one with the good battle system).  If you want to complain about something, complain about that.

nightmare975

• Architect of Kajar
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 07:37:11 pm »
Junction, Star Level, Sphere Grid, whatever.  I'm sure I’ll be hearing the same thing about FF XII's License Board in a few months.

I didn't like the junction system, if you can't use magic without lowering your stats, then that is a problem.

The sphere grid was fine, everybody could learn everything. :D

Star Level never made any sense to me. Plus it never felt like I could summon.

knuck

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 11:37:49 pm »
I just love how whenever a game dares have a leveling system that differs from the tried and true "fight, gain exp, level up, repeat until you're god" formula, its automatically sucks.
It sucks because you're limited to x levels where x is the number of bosses. wtf kind of fucked up system is that? What is the fun part of such a linear leveling system?

Junction, Star Level, Sphere Grid, whatever.  I'm sure I’ll be hearing the same thing about FF XII's License Board in a few months.
Junction was awesome. Dunno wtf is Star Level. Sphere Grid? Fucking rocked. FF12's system is pretty retarded. It sounds like it's just a board game or something. o_O

There's nothing wrong with CC's level system.  Its just different.  I actually found easier than most systems.  Beat a boss, get a stat boost.  What could be simpler?
Of course it's easier. It's linear, it can't be different. Play the game 28940 times, you'll get the same number of levels you had at the same part of the game in your last play through.

People just have different opinions. Get over it.

grey_the_angel

• Alternate Primary Member
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • CC:ALSAT project leader/sole member >.>
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2006, 02:59:13 am »
I just love how whenever a game dares have a leveling system that differs from the tried and true "fight, gain exp, level up, repeat until you're god" formula, its automatically sucks.
It sucks because you're limited to x levels where x is the number of bosses. wtf kind of fucked up system is that? What is the fun part of such a linear leveling system?
minus the actual fucking levels, instead using a stat boosting system, thus enabling more stratgey demanding tatics, since for the most part, the only thing that levels is you hp.
Junction was awesome. Dunno wtf is Star Level. Sphere Grid? Fucking rocked. FF12's system is pretty retarded. It sounds like it's just a board game or something. o_O
junctioning was retarded. so... uh... magic or weapons? and you could fucking cheat the game as so as you found the 5000gil ultima spring and just junctions the hell out of it. infact, half the reason the game ganered so much hate (much more then 10 or 10-2) was that very same system.
star level is just a small jump in stats across the board with the addition of an addition element slot. easy enough.

and 12's system is based on FF11's MMObattle setup. its prefect for real time battling with all three member of the party, and it sure as hell beats .hack//  system, which paused the "mmo."

Of course it's easier. It's linear, it can't be different. Play the game 28940 times, you'll get the same number of levels you had at the same part of the game in your last play through.
.... You've discovered the secert of CC: star levels will always raise the same..*looks at the rest of rpg world.* oh wait...
yeah... I'm gonna go with what the fuck is your point on that one.
People just have different opinions. Get over it.
true, hitler being a prime example.  :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:02:53 am by grey_the_angel »

Chrono'99

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2006, 06:05:01 am »
Ask the guy who made The Legend of Zelda :roll:.

Seriously, the point of the battle system in CC is to make you configure your Elements and establish a strategy with the grid, not to level up. The leveling up isn't supposed to be fun, because the fun is (supposed to be) located elsewhere.

knuck

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2006, 07:33:19 am »
.... You've discovered the secert of CC: star levels will always raise the same..*looks at the rest of rpg world.* oh wait...
I could fight Yakra at level 56 without new game+ on CT if I wanted to.
I could be level30 by the time I fight Croco for the first time in smrpg.
You can't read.

I hereby summon Godwin's Law.
[...]the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress.[...]
No need to keep arguing. =D
However, I'll repeat myself: people have different opinions, get over it.

Fanboys are just...jeez! :P

CyberSarkany

• Heir to the Masamune
  • Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • "So zetta slow!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2006, 10:04:16 am »
In CC you also get a boost if you beat enough enemies(no just the +HP), but because of the many bosses you don't get them that often.

And in CC, Level doesn't matter THAT much, more the elements you have, I got Blackhole with Sprigg as soon as I got her for example, and this made the game easier than most Level-ups yould have made it. Byebye, Miguel.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 08:09:20 pm »
I could fight Yakra at level 56 without new game+ on CT if I wanted to.
You can't read.
you could do the exact same thing in Chrono cross, which also had a new game plus.
I hereby summon Godwin's Law.
[...]the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically "lost" whatever debate was in progress.[...]
No need to keep arguing. =D
However, I'll repeat myself: people have different opinions, get over it.

Fanboys are just...jeez! :P
[/quote] too bad I never mentioned the nazis. only hitler, who is a person, not a regime.
god damn I'm good.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 08:11:08 pm by grey_the_angel »

knuck

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2006, 01:44:37 am »
you could do the exact same thing in Chrono cross, which also had a new game plus.

I could fight Yakra at level 56 without[/u][/i][/size] new game+ on CT if I wanted to.
After that I'll repeat myself...You can't read.[/u][/i][/size]
No need to keep this up. Drop it.

grey_the_angel

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2006, 02:43:41 pm »

I could fight Yakra at level 56 without[/u][/i][/size] new game+ on CT if I wanted to.
After that I'll repeat myself...You can't read.[/u][/i][/size]
No need to keep this up. Drop it.
you could also do that in chrono cross, since star level actually dicated level. again, what's your point? do you need a visual conformation number to prove your getting stronger?

and you know, I love the way you praise the 8 system, which literally took out any and all need to level at all (or fight with magic or even your own damn characters.), and yet dosed on the cross system, which  still requires fighting random monsters for stat boosting, and proclaim it the a great system. It was so easy to manipulate: attach gf, draw magic, level area, come back, re-draw magic till your stocked full. there's almost no point to the leveling system, because the monsters stay at your strength level. So its basically utilizing a *gasp* stat boosting system. seems kinda familiar.... oh yeah... chrono cross has a stat system, in which they pretty much admitted "yeah, leveling is kinda useless here, your just getting stronger." and  voila.
Seriously, how do you praise one system which was the needlessly complicated version of another system, and then dump on the other?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 02:56:07 pm by grey_the_angel »

Magus068

• Acacia Deva (+500)
  • Speak the truth, even it leads to your death!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2006, 07:34:46 am »
The thing that I like about CC is because it's easier to buff up some stats than most RPGs.
You have to beat the same monster twice or trice to gain stats or you could just tank up the damage until you're bored or something then kill it. And before you know it, you've godlike stats.

knuck

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2006, 09:39:25 am »
Simple: I liked the "complications".
Anyways, just drop it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 09:52:49 am by knuck »

Daid

• Guardian (+100)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2006, 11:00:53 pm »
I liked the Chrono Cross Element System because your characters could learn different kinds of Elements, near the start of the game I had Serge learn a fire element and a water element.
(Unfortunetly my emulator freezes when I try to use magic!)
I use an Emulator to run the PSX disk because I live in Australia and my playstation wont read NTSC disks for some stupid reason!!!