Author Topic: Palette Problem  (Read 2128 times)

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
Palette Problem
« on: June 15, 2006, 03:00:18 pm »
It is kinda like the sub tiles, except i'm trying to change the palette for Guardia Castle.  This is probably unsolvable, but when I change the palette save and test the rom the palette reverts back to the original one.  I can't think of anyway to stop it from doing that.  I would use SnesPAl or w/e but I don't know what color each graphic is and all that...Is there anyway to even solve this?  Or is it impossible...

Vehek

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Palette Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 03:18:21 pm »
Are you remembering to write to memory the changes?

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 03:58:53 pm »
Yes i am but this could be why.  It's the Guardia Castle in 1999 AD!  For some reason 1999 AD doesn't like sub tile changes or palette changes or anything.  It likes to revert everything...  I wonder if there's a way to fix this problem.

Yeah, there is definately something with 1999 AD that doesn't want any changes to it, palettes, sub tiles, nothing.  Must be something that was either integrated into the rom or something tf doesnt like to do.  It's not the event coding i just checked that...So it's either TF or the rom... This truly bugs me to crap!

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2006, 04:28:06 pm »
Quick double post ><, does anyone know the palette address for Overworld sprite of Guardia Castle?  I kinda need to find that.  I tried messing wiht stuff in SNESPal, but since i had wrong address it corrupted the rom ¬.¬

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2006, 04:50:37 pm »
Quick double post ><, does anyone know the palette address for Overworld sprite of Guardia Castle?  I kinda need to find that.  I tried messing wiht stuff in SNESPal, but since i had wrong address it corrupted the rom ¬.¬

Try around address 03D0D5

*wink wink/nudge nudge*

It's easy to find palettes in Snespal by using the tutorial in the readme, and Snespal's built in search feature. This took less than 4 minutes to narrow down (I chose ugly colors on purpose, to make sure it stood out easily). If the tutorial in the readme is too hard to understand, I can rewrite it for our purposes and include step-by-step instructions with pictures. It's easy to do and works on ALL snes roms,  - actually, offsets.txt says these are compressed, so I guess it works with compressed palettes too. You might want to decompress the palettes, and edit that in snespal, then reinsert the palettes.
-editeditedit-
Looking through the decompessed file in snespal does not include the colors when I search, and it doesn't look at all like I expected... editing it without decompressing works fine, and the colors are there... perhaps they are compressed differently or something... eh... just search out each color individually and edit them I suppose. You should still do fine.
(Every attempt I've done to decompress palette packs in CT does the same thing actually, I remember trying to edit the title screen colors by decompressing them, and the colors are off, not the same (though they are clearly the right colors when I edit them in snespal uncompressed, just the decompressed file is off or something... >_>))

I love my snespal.  :mrgreen:

-edit-
To REALLY narrow down your CT searches with snespal, look at the surrounding colors when you find a match for your color, and check the address with Geiger's offsets.txt

03CE44   03DFFF   PAL   Yes   No   Overworld palettes   4/28/2004

Looking at the color I searched for and matched up, the offset falls within this range (03D0D5). PROFIT!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 05:12:34 pm by Chickenlump »

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2006, 10:38:02 pm »
yay!  Thank you!

grrr. 0d30d7 corrupts the rom -.-
« Last Edit: June 18, 2006, 10:59:46 pm by justin3009 »

Chickenlump

• Architect of Kajar
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2006, 01:29:44 am »
yay!  Thank you!

grrr. 0d30d7 corrupts the rom -.-

Yeah, that might be because the offsets.txt say it's compressed, and we borked it by editing it. Perhaps you will have better luck decompressing it than I did (perhaps I decompressed the wrong area or something). But at least you know where to look, the colors ARE in this area for the castle.

justin3009

• Fan Project Leader
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2006, 09:18:05 am »
Yeah they are there, just kinda scattered.  Well, it doesn't corrupt the rom it just kinda kills te color forever -.-
grr...The colors are hard to find XD.  I would read the tutorial but i'm too lazy ¬.¬
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 10:55:20 am by justin3009 »