Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 335176 times)

Licawolf

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #3195 on: May 23, 2011, 12:21:57 pm »
Coffee. I love coffee.... Today I bought a bag of Komodo Dragon blend to drink something more exotic  8)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:21:15 am by Licawolf »

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3196 on: May 23, 2011, 12:43:27 pm »
I love it how most people would support the underdog, whether right or wrong, even when logically the underdog is simply asking to have his/her bones broken. Interestingly, there's a big psychological and scientific reason as to why this happens. I won't bore you guys with with details and huge test, but I'm confident that you already know this instinctually (is that a word?).

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: May 23, 2011, 10:30:33 pm »
Close. The correct word would be instinctively. :)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: May 23, 2011, 11:58:58 pm »
Coffee. I love coffee.... Today I bought a bag of Komodo Dragon blend to drink something more exotic  8)

Yum! You got your link wrong, though. Here's the real deal:

http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=411991

~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~
I love it how most people would support the underdog, whether right or wrong, even when logically the underdog is simply asking to have his/her bones broken. Interestingly, there's a big psychological and scientific reason as to why this happens. I won't bore you guys with with details and huge test, but I'm confident that you already know this instinctually (is that a word?).

Yes, that's a word. Boo is mistaken to say that it isn't, and doubly so because "instinctually" and "instinctively" have two different meanings. Easiest way to look at it is to reduce them to their respective adjectival forms: "instinctual" and "instinctive." The latter pertains to that which results from instinct: instinctive behavior, for example. The former pertains to instinct itself if you need an adjective or adverb for the concept of the thing "instinct"; it is the less common of the two words.

However, looking at your sentence, I think that "instinctively" is the word you meant to use--although there's enough room in your composition to make either interpretation. ("I'm confident you know this on the level of instinct" versus "I'm confident you know this as a result of your instincts.") I myself would have used the word "implicitly" instead, or "viscerally" if I wanted to maintain the animal imagery, as the supposed inherent knowledge of our tendency to support the underdog is not itself a matter of instinct.

Also, for all the instances where we do support the underdog, there are many instances where we support the big dog instead. In English, such language arising from the latter includes the concepts of "fair-weather friends," "popularity contest," and "law and order."

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3199 on: May 24, 2011, 12:22:20 am »

Yum! You got your link wrong, though. Here's the real deal:

http://www.starbucksstore.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=411991

xD Link Fail. Corrected, thanks

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: May 24, 2011, 08:55:35 am »
I need to brag.  I usually suck at editing pictures, but I think I did a pretty damn good job on this one.

It isn't great, but for me it's practically a masterpiece.  And I know the picture is clever, hardy har har.  8)  /takes a bow

I think I'll start a topic on synesthesia at some point, since someone (I can't remember who) asked what types I had.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 08:57:06 am by Sajainta »

Syna

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: May 24, 2011, 12:30:49 pm »
That's awesome, Sajainta. :D That would be me who asked you; I'm also synaesthetic (though I am just audio/visual, none of the cool 'tasting shapes' sort of thing that other people get).

In other news, I LOVE COSTUMES, and the excuse to wear them. I will have both this weekend! My new top hat rocks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 12:32:28 pm by Syna »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: May 24, 2011, 03:06:55 pm »
Sajainta, how much editing did you do to create the picture, and how many source images were involved? That turned out pretty neat. They should totally make a candy bar made out of Skittles.

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: May 24, 2011, 08:57:58 pm »
Just got out home from my audition today, for some show called ANTfarm on the Disney Channel.  Obviously exciting, and it felt good.  Didn't knock it out of the park but I certainly didn't leave the casting office thinking "what the HELL was that???"  Which is a generally terrible feeling.

New agent is on FIRE, I owes them some gifts.  They'd probably rather just have me book one of these.  So funny.  Such a bizarre town.  Easy to see how people go batshit crazy here.  I'm pretty good at working myself up (you might've noticed)and that's just the homefront bs.  It's hard, not knowing when the next call will be, how fit am I really for this part, how warm will this casting director be?  if I fuck up, will they ever call me in for anything again?  Will my agent stop sending me out if I don't book a job right away?  Will I ever get another agent again?  Why do all of these people look just like me but better!?!?  Will I ever accomplish ANYTHING????"

So yea, it's easy to go crazy and let it pile up.  I've experienced light, light moments of this kind of professional desperation before, and I haven't even gotten started yet!  It's a whole new set of pressure once it gets going.  I'm trying not to get ahead of myself, but things are going well.  One could get used to 5 auditions a week.  It won't be this way forever though; and instead of letting that act as a some scary end-all backdrop I'm starting to embrace it.  Granted, much easier to do when things are going well.

Consistency has been a theme for me in 2011.  Had a few good joking "Well, consistently LAME isn't what I had in mind!" moments for sure, but progress is being made and I'm learning.

I think I really got a shot at this role.  But let's ease up and stay consistent across the board.  8)

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: May 24, 2011, 10:53:03 pm »
Sajainta, how much editing did you do to create the picture, and how many source images were involved? That turned out pretty neat. They should totally make a candy bar made out of Skittles.

I took the below picture and edited out all the words on the wrapper and tried to adjust the gaps in the rainbow accordingly.  Then I added the word "synesthesia".  That was it.  :P  It took me ages.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: May 24, 2011, 11:08:59 pm »
Yes, that's a word. Boo is mistaken to say that it isn't, and doubly so because "instinctually" and "instinctively" have two different meanings. Easiest way to look at it is to reduce them to their respective adjectival forms: "instinctual" and "instinctive." The latter pertains to that which results from instinct: instinctive behavior, for example. The former pertains to instinct itself if you need an adjective or adverb for the concept of the thing "instinct"; it is the less common of the two words.

My bad. :)

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: May 24, 2011, 11:17:54 pm »
Quote from: Sajainta
I took the below picture and edited out all the words on the wrapper
Ooooh, that was excellent. You could start an image editing service!

So, does this mean there is a Skittles candy bar!? I may have to track down one of these elusive beasts. And subsequently devour it.

Sajainta

• View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: May 24, 2011, 11:53:14 pm »
I Googled "skittles candy bar" and got nuthin', unfortunately.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: May 25, 2011, 02:13:29 am »
Sounds to me like you are onto a million dollar idea!

"Skittles Candybar, Taste the Nuggat"
"Skittles Candybar, Chomp the Rainbow"
"Skittles Candybar, Taste the Diabetes"

Licawolf

• tempus edax rerum
    • View Profile
    • DA account
« Reply #3209 on: May 25, 2011, 06:31:27 am »
I found an old old txt file with a list of bookmarks I had forgotten, I noticed there were some articles from the compendium in the collection. I think Existentialist Reading of Chrono Trigger and Habeas Cronos are still some of my favorite parts of the Compendium  8)

Quote from: Habeas Cronos
It is well known that the majority of the inhabitants of our land have no names, no homes, no occupations, and spend all day walking about in algorithmic patterns. Moreover, they generally cannot speak more than one or two sentences at a time, which they tend to repeat continuously. In these conditions, the foundations laid for these witnesses was the best possible. No error is found.

Right now I'm reading the infamous Freud's "Dream Psychology"... and I was wondering, has anybody ever analyzed the Chrono games under a Freudian perspective?... and no jk about that, I actually think it could be an fascinating subject to read if done seriously :P  I was hoping there could be some analitical essay like that Existentialist article...