Author Topic: Stuff you LOVE, baby  (Read 335106 times)

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
Re: Stuff you LOVE, baby
« Reply #2160 on: December 30, 2009, 05:40:38 pm »
A mouthful?! It's only one syllable longer...! You!!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2161 on: December 31, 2009, 07:41:59 am »
My piano. And the key of b-flat minor, resolving heart-warmingly to B-flat Major, or, elegantly, to E-flat Major.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2162 on: December 31, 2009, 08:29:11 pm »

You have a piano?  What kind?  I must know!! :evil:

You must play piano exceptionally well to recognize such unique chords.

Then again, I've been wrong about identifying people's talents through their posts before.

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2163 on: January 02, 2010, 06:26:38 pm »
My list of reasons to take the one and a half hour drive to see Avatar grows!  Today's addition to the list:  Conlang coolness.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/06/magazine/06FOB-onlanguage-t.html

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2164 on: January 02, 2010, 06:32:24 pm »
Poor Uboa Have You Not Seen It Yet? It Is Pretty Damn Good.

I don't know why I capitalized every word in that sentence, weird.

Zephira

• Bounty Hunter
  • You're not afraid of the dark, are you?...Are you?
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page
« Reply #2165 on: January 02, 2010, 07:05:24 pm »
I love dictionaries.

I'm building a setting for a D&D campaign - today is my first day DMing - and the thing takes place on an archipelago. The archipelago was named the Katharian Islands, and it's home to a very devout church of Bahamut. I named that months ago, but only today did I find out that kathaírein means to cleanse, or be pure. Awesome.

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2166 on: January 02, 2010, 08:40:23 pm »
Poor Uboa Have You Not Seen It Yet? It Is Pretty Damn Good.

I don't know why I capitalized every word in that sentence, weird.

I'm sorry, I just haven't heard anything to convince me to see that movie. All I've heard is "blah blah blah, James Cameron," "blah, blah, blah, looks amazing," "blah, blah, blah, most expensive movie."

I've seen the plot before; civilization bad! savage native life good! Always. The Na'vi from what I've heard, all seem to be another incarnation of the perfect civilization, untouched by technology and living in the jungle, until some advanced culture invades. Boring.

As far as actors go, the only thing I've heard is that "the latina woman from Lost has a similar role." I honestly don't give a crap, especially since I dislike Lost to begin with.

I'm not gonna say its a bad movie until I see it though, which I will, when it comes out on DVD. Screw IMax and 3-D, I don't care if it looks pretty.

KebreI

• A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2167 on: January 02, 2010, 09:04:07 pm »
No problem 90% of movies I wait 'till the DVD release. I saw Avatar because it was in theaters. It was a pretty movie with a time old story, the thing with Avatar was this it is ALL ABOUT BEING PRETTY. The DVD release will suck in comparison, plus the movies cost what $7.50?

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2168 on: January 02, 2010, 10:33:05 pm »
Blah, blah, blah aesthetics means jack shit.

I think your "I don't care if it looks pretty" attitude is a knee-jerk, particularly considering the ridiculousness of what you've ended up implying:

• A film's worth is independent of its aesthetic value
  • (Thus) A film's worth is independent of its artistic value
  • A film's artistic value is independent of how worth you think seeing it is

And so you have the cheek to say that you're "not gonna say its a bad movie" when you've declared invalid one of the two grounds upon which it could prove its worth. And so you also make the mistake of conflating seeing the film at a cinema (in 3D or IMax) and seeing it on DVD.

Let's see how you backpedal outta this one.

Sajainta

• Survivor of the Darkness
  • Radical Dreamer (+2000)
  • Reporting live from Purgatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2169 on: January 02, 2010, 10:39:04 pm »
I'll probably see Avatar once it comes out on DVD.  I'm not a fan of seeing movies in the cinema.  Half of the people I know who've seen it say it's amazing, and the other half say it's just a more fancy version of Fern Gully.

In the spirit of the thread::  I love my boyfriend.  Something shitty happened a wee bit ago that made me cry, I told him about it and he held me and played "Schala's Theme" on the DS to cheer me up.  He is so wonderful.

(I'm also glad that it's unlikely anyone here will read that and think "God, that's geeky."  ;))

Also, today is the day we are celebrating our anniversary (since we won't be able to be with each other on our actual anniversary).  Happy 3 year anniversary to us!  :D

Truthordeal

• Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #2170 on: January 03, 2010, 12:04:48 am »
Well, now, MsBlack, this is certainly a very stern and abrupt response to my voicing a opinion over something as trivial as a non-Chrono related motion picture. Since you see it as necessary to try to "call me out" on this, I'll respond in turn.

Blah, blah, blah aesthetics means jack shit.

I neither implied nor said anything of the sort.  You quoted me saying "I don't care if it looks pretty." Truth be told, I don't. My main reaction here was to the assumed entertainment value based on the aesthetics, and, more importantly, the price tag. I could go on, but I think responding to your other comments will explain enough.

• A film's worth is independent of its aesthetic value

It absolutely is. I'll stand by this 100%. Citizen Kane, the original King Kong and most Charlie Chaplin or Gene Kelley films are horrible looking  by modern standards. Does that mean that they have no value? Absolutely not. I'd go as far as to say that the original King Kong had more value, because it was an original rather than a remake of the same story. Picasso's paintings are not pretty, but they definitely have significant artistic value, would you not agree?

Aesthetics can certainly influence the worth of a film, good or bad, but they are still two very independent quantities. My grudge right now with the Avatar movie is that people are ignorign the worth of the story or the acting over "how pretty it looks," i.e., the aesthetics. I put aesthetics on a far lower rung of importance when judging the value of a movie. You're free to disagree, but this is how I judge a film's worth.

• (Thus) A film's worth is independent of its artistic value

Absolutely. I consider Mel Stuart's take on "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" "worth" more than Tim Burton's more recent take. Which one is artistically better? Well...I dunno. Either can be considered aesthetically pleasing, people enjoyed both, and both have a very brilliant cast of actors.

Bear in mind, MsBlack, unlike literature or canvass art, the primary purpose of a motion picture(save for documentaries) is to entertain. There is definitely an artistic streak, as any movie by Tim Burton will show you, but mostly, they're made to entertain people. A movie who's plot is boring, or whose actors have no talent, isn't a very good one, no matter how pretty it is, or how artistic the subtext is. There are those that would say that making it entertaining is an art form, and that that is worth artistic merit, but, quite frankly, I think a film can be one or the other, neither or both. Jackass was a good movie, but you could hardly say it had any artistic worth. Since the main purpose of a movie is to entertain, rather than have artistic value, I'd say that, once again, the worth of the movie is not solely based on its aesthetics.

Yea-Nope. Remember, I'm one person with very different tastes than you. We have a similar bond over Chrono Trigger, but outside of that, who knows? I may not consider something that is "pretty" or "artistic" worth seeing if its boring, or it might be the opposite; I might think something is worth seeing just for the aesthetics or the music. For instance, even if you don't like RPG's, I'd recommend playing Chrono Trigger/Cross simply for the soundtrack that Mitsuda conducted. It is just that amazing. They'd have to be some very good aesthetics and music for me to do this with something that is utterly boring, but it can happen.

My main gripe with Avatar is, again, the aesthetics is all people have to comment on. To summarize:

Friend: Dude, you have to see Avatar! It looks effing amazing!
Me: Is the story any good?
Friend: Uhhhh....
Me: Are the characters relateable?
Friend: Uhh...
Me: Is the music score any good? Are the actors suited for their roles?
Friend: Well, that one Latino chick from Lost plays a similar role.
Me:...Not quite what I asked there.

And so you have the cheek to say that you're "not gonna say its a bad movie" when you've declared invalid one of the two grounds upon which it could prove its worth.

Aesthetics is very rarely a valid measure of a film's worth on its own. Avatar may be one of those very rare cases, but I'm not gonna spend good money on an IMax ticket on something that very well may not be worth it. $3 movie rental beats a $17 per person ticket of admission any day. You may call this me being cheap, but I am very attached to what little money I do have.

And so you also make the mistake of conflating seeing the film at a cinema (in 3D or IMax) and seeing it on DVD.

If it doesn't have the story to keep me entertained on my regular old tv, then it isn't worth seeing. It can have all of the artistic value in the world, but it still won't be worth seeing. The change in format should not be that drastic, and if it is, and totally relies on you seeing it in a specific medium, with certain aesthetics, IT IS NOT WORTH SEEING!

Let's see how you backpedal outta this one.

Nope. Sticking where I am.

Moreover, not once did I say that it was not worth seeing. I said that the people going ga-ga over "OOOH, PRETTY" don't give me a good reason to think it's worth seeing. As I said, I'll save my judgment for when I see it myself, on dvd.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2171 on: January 03, 2010, 01:39:19 am »
I could go on, but I think responding to your other comments will explain enough.

I'll use that line myself. The ridiculousness of your position goes so deep that it's not worth the effort to go into all of it. But as a starting point...

Picasso's paintings are not pretty, but they definitely have significant artistic value, would you not agree?

That's exactly my bloody point: Artistic value contributes to overall value. That's exactly what you denied, you blithering idiot!

Aesthetics can certainly influence the worth of a film, good or bad, but they are still two very independent quantities.

Evidently this isn't what you mean considering you just contradicted yourself by definitions in the same sentence.

My grudge right now with the Avatar movie is that people are ignorign the worth of the story or the acting over "how pretty it looks," i.e., the aesthetics. I put aesthetics on a far lower rung of importance when judging the value of a movie.

Exactly. Knee-jerk. You're pissed off by what people are saying in support of the movie so you have a grudge against the film itself. Again, you're agreeing with me in trying to argue why I'm wrong.

You're free to disagree, but this is how I judge a film's worth.

Yeah. And I'm saying how you judge a film's worth is crap. And it seems you are too!

Bear in mind, MsBlack, unlike literature or canvass art, the primary purpose of a motion picture(save for documentaries) is to entertain.

From whose perspective? There's a reason the phrase 'artsy movies' exists. And there's also a reason that offensive trash like Transformers 2 is backed with hundreds of millions of dollars.

Since the main purpose of a movie is to entertain, rather than have artistic value, I'd say that, once again, the worth of the movie is not solely based on its aesthetics.

Your original implication was much stronger: that a aesthetic and thus artistic value and worth contributes absolutely nothing to its overall value and worth.

I meant it the other way round here: "How worth you think it to see a film is independent of its artistic value." Of course, you didn't pick up on that mistake, but went on to explicitly contradict yourself again:

I may not consider something that is "pretty" or "artistic" worth seeing if its boring, or it might be the opposite; I might think something is worth seeing just for the aesthetics or the music.

I'm sorry, I just haven't heard anything to convince me to see that movie. All I've heard is..."blah, blah, blah, looks amazing,"...

I'm not gonna say its a bad movie until I see it though, which I will, when it comes out on DVD. Screw IMax and 3-D, I don't care if it looks pretty.

For instance, even if you don't like RPG's, I'd recommend playing Chrono Trigger/Cross simply for the soundtrack that Mitsuda conducted.

My main gripe with Avatar is, again, the aesthetics is all people have to comment on.

:picardno

Moreover, not once did I say that it was not worth seeing.

Nor did I say you said that. You seem to insist upon ascribing arguments to me I simply didn't make.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2172 on: January 03, 2010, 03:28:10 am »

Hey, hey, hey, MsBlack and ToD.

If you wish to debate about the aesthetic and secular value of films and movies, then start a thread and take it there.  This isn't the place to fan the flames of your arguments.

I'd move it myself, but I haven't the authority to do so.

Asafigow

• Guardian (+100)
  • It's the middle of the story, go crazy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2173 on: January 03, 2010, 04:21:12 am »
Deep thinking. It makes one have a more full sence of feeling in the world. And as it continues, a better understanding of the world, as well.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2174 on: January 03, 2010, 04:35:33 am »
I'd move it myself, but I haven't the authority to do so.

Now that's the best thing you've said in ages! =P