Author Topic: So like where's the techology section?  (Read 1223 times)

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
So like where's the techology section?
« on: April 20, 2009, 07:14:06 am »
Most forums have a section where you can talk about anything from how the wheel is made to making a rocket ship.  (slight exxageration here) but you get the idea hopefully.

Anybody know why there isn't one?              It's bugged me ever since I've logged in here and think it should be implented.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
Re: So like where's the techology section?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 08:51:07 am »
The Compendium forums don't exist for general discussion. Even the General Discussion forum was only created to prevent off-topic posting in the other forums.

Anyway, if you want to talk about anything non-Chrono related, just talk about it in the General Discussion forum. Adding more off-topic, non-Chrono discussion forums in addition to the one General Discussion forum we do have would only help to promote a cult of regulars who would then grow to hold ever increasing amounts of undue influence over the community and drive it off track.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 09:51:19 am »
Where other forums (most of which are dying or dead now) have whole forums dedicated to various topics we have single threads and it all seems to work out pretty well that way, I think. It is a series-specific site, after all...

Simple & clean helps keep the Compendium fit & lean! :lol:

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 09:53:42 pm »
Actually it wouldn't be a whole bunch of sections.    Have you took a look at Zelda Universe and seen how they did their technology section?   I like that kind of format though it takes a while to get used to.

Jutty

• Black Wind Agent (+600)
  • The Most In-Frequent Poster Ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 11:30:04 am »
I only post in GD. I read the other Chrono discussions, but always feel as tho I have nothing to add. Also I feel like a complete Chrono noob compared to the speculation of others. I've seen some tech threads in GD actually there isn't much I haven't seen in GD.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 06:42:57 pm »
I'm with you Jutty on that one.   I'm a noob too. (whatever that means)   I think it means someone who doesn't know a whole lot compared to the majority.

ZaichikArky

• Mystical Knight (+700)
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 09:45:39 pm »
Adding more off-topic, non-Chrono discussion forums in addition to the one General Discussion forum we do have would only help to promote a cult of regulars who would then grow to hold ever increasing amounts of undue influence over the community and drive it off track.

I kind of disagree. Usually more off topic forms attract newbs because they can see that there are other interesting things to discuss other than CT(in this case). In that way, it forms more of a community. I mean, that "springtime of youth" forum was added, and it has nothing to do with CT and it's quite popular and not alienating in anyway.  I think there should be more general discussion forums and less forums about CT- especially the "analysis" forums. All of them should just be merged into one analysis forum... they're not very popular anyway. . But hey, I don't run the place :p.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 09:53:15 pm »
Would it make the forums more popular? Undoubtedly, but that's missing the real point here.

The forum exists for the sole purpose of the site. We're not here to create a large, generic discussion community, and so attracting people who are only interested in general discussion isn't one of our goals.

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 10:55:06 pm »
Yeah, jesus, I can only imagine how hard it is to sort through the analysis forums as it is now...if it were all just one forum!? That's crazy talk...Though perhaps less crazy now than in the hey-day when discussion was intense in each Analysis forum...but still...I think it's vital for the Compendium to keep the Analysis forums the way they are now. It's what really makes it a Compendium and not just another copy & paste forums.

TriforceofEternity

• Enlightened One (+200)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 04:28:09 am »
Never thought of it that way.   

So how do I know where the general knowledge likes if I ever have a technical error with something.

Ramsus

• Entity
  • Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 07:46:23 am »
Never thought of it that way.  

So how do I know where the general knowledge likes if I ever have a technical error with something.

You're implying that one of the reasons the forums exist is to help you with your technical issues. Unfortunately, that's simply not the case.

If you have problems, visit a computer troubleshooting website.