Author Topic: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators Desperately Needed!  (Read 27909 times)

V_Translanka

• Interim Global Moderator
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Destroyer of Worlds
    • View Profile
    • http://www.angelfire.com/weird2/v_translanka/
Re: Chrono Trigger: DS Ultimania OUT!! Translators Desperately Needed!
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2009, 09:25:18 am »
While it's possible for Magus to be surprised, I don't think that's much of an 'expression' of surprise...But people react differently to surprises, so w/e...Magus is angered by them, so I guess you could call his anger his expression of surprise. It depends on how you look at it I guess.

HartleySan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2009, 11:10:32 am »
Just read this whole post. All 10 pages. Great work, Lorenz. You're a pretty good translator. As someone said before, I think it was someone named GlitterBear or something, translation is an art, not a science. Too, too true. I work as a professional translator in Japanese myself and I try to explain the same thing to my Japanese co-workers everyday. Anyway, I came here some time ago and help out a little with some translations, but got too busy with other stuff to really help.

Anyway, Lorenz, I think you're doing good and certainly don't wanna steal your thunder. However, if you're feeling overworked, which I can understand, wouldn't mind helping out myself. So, for anyone that might still be even reading this post, if there's anything left to be done that Lorenz or someone else isn't already doing, I don't mind helping. I'll try and check back on a regular interval for any updates to this post. Thanks.

Lorenz, did I mention, nice work!

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2009, 01:12:03 pm »
Wow, thanks HartleySan! Give me a couple hours to go through the post and update the list of what's been done and what hasn't. I'll PM you with a scan.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure whether ShikiGami is still working on the Kato Interview, which is top priority. Are you still working on it ShikiGami?

There's now an Excel spreadsheet attached to the first post that serves as a link repository. I'll keep track of French translations too.

HartleySan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2009, 08:41:44 pm »
Wow, FaustWolf! Glad you're so gung-ho about the whole thing. Lemme see what I can do.

HartleySan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 28, 2009, 12:08:41 am »
Well, I looked at it and it's pretty straight forward. Don't think translating it will bring any insight, but I'll go ahead and look at it all the same. Gimme a bit, as I'm pretty busy these days, as this isn't a huge priority, honestly.

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
  • You can't spell "PIMP" without "P-I-P."
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 02, 2009, 11:43:26 pm »
HartleySan, I wanted to thank you for the praise.  If I can help other fans learn a little more about the beloved Chrono universe while working to improve my meager translation skills, then hey I'm happy to do so.  I am just glad that FaustWolf and Abel gave me the opportunity to take a crack at those scans.  It's hard to believe this topic has been viewed so many times, and it really is all because of their hard work and organization. 

Speaking of, just wanted to give you a heads up, FaustWolf.  Abel sent over some CCU stuff for me to tinker with. I'm hoping to take a peek at it soon. And also with that in mind, HartleySan, I truly appreciate the sentiment, but I certainly wouldn't feel as though you were stealing my thunder if you wanted to tackle some of these projects. I look forward to reading your translations, both for what I can learn about our favorite rag-tag group of time travelers -- and for what I can learn about the art of translating.

-SPOILERS- (for what it's worth)
And one last thing concerning the Eclipse Magus issue.  I don't know how the official English translation turned out (probably should just switch settings and beat it again... oh well), but in the Japanese version his speech when Chrono and pals show up as he is en route to battle the Dream Devourer seems to indicate that he had already defeated Lavos and that he had done it with some help, as he says something like 俺たちがあいつを倒した時... or whatever, the point being he is using the first person plural there (When we destroyed Lavos... or whatever).  He does go on to say that there are basically an infinitude of realities, so he doesn't know if you were the ones that helped him or not.  The whole thing is pretty vague.  I really don't see any intentional clues or intimations.  He isn't surprised to see anyone in particular.  Though if you bring Magus along, he (your Magus) does get a special dialog box ("..." I believe) showing that he is a bit surprised to find himself there in the DBT.  I bet it would confuse the hell out of Alfador, too.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:55:45 pm by Lorenz »

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2009, 12:01:07 am »
Thanks Lorenz and Abel! Yeah, I guess the stuff in the "Secrets" section of CC:Ultimania would be of interest, though ZeaLitY may have more to say on that. The Compendium already has translations of the CC:Ultimania Developer Interviews by the way.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2009, 12:27:12 am »
Yeah, Glitter is on the Ultimania interviews, FYI. We need someone to retranslate the entire secrets section (not including the interviews) since we can't totally trust bubblebobby's translation.

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2009, 11:05:22 am »
No prob.  I'll check out the secrets section and see what's going on there.

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2009, 11:08:14 am »
Sorry for the delay.  Abel has been kind enough to shrink the secrets file down a bit so even my current dial-up (Yes, that really does say "dial-up."  I know.) can handle the download.  So I should be able to leave the computer on overnight and wake up to some nice scans...

God I miss my high-speed connection :picardno

Oh, and one I run through them, I am correct in that I can post them to the following forum?

http://www.chronocompendium.com/Forums/index.php/topic,6989.0.html

Thanks.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2009, 03:07:59 pm »
Yeah, that's perfect Lorenz. Thanks to Abel for taking care of the file shrinkage.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 10:01:54 pm by FaustWolf »

Abel

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I want to know. What am I? Who will define me?
    • View Profile
    • XenoTensei
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2009, 09:44:56 pm »
No problem guys! And a big thank you to Lorenz for translating stuff from both CTU and CCU  :D

If any of you need anything else, just let me know :)

- Abel

Lorenz

• Bounty Seeker
  • Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2009, 01:53:36 pm »
 :shock:

That's a lot of stuff in the secrets section.

So far it looks like the bulk of it consists of gameplay explanations and a couple of easter eggs -- stuff that is already available on this board and gamefaqs -- but there are a couple of special sections about CT/RD connections that seem intriguing.  I'll try to pick out the choicest pieces and English-ize them when I get a chance.  楽しみにしてね.

Abel

• Earthbound (+15)
  • I want to know. What am I? Who will define me?
    • View Profile
    • XenoTensei
« Reply #148 on: March 08, 2009, 08:19:11 pm »
I have a few more interesting pages that have links to Chrono Trigger as well. I'll send you over those too  8)

- Abel

HartleySan

• Earthbound (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 11, 2009, 04:09:42 am »
Hey. Sorry I haven't reported back on those pages yet. Been so flippin' busy recently. I haven't forgotten about them though. Just kinda saving 'em for a rainy day. Like I said, there's really nothing insightful in them, and if someone else is itching to translate them, by all means. Otherwise, I'll get around to it when I get around to it. Sorry for the delay.