Author Topic: The Official Crono Discussion Thread  (Read 3303 times)

Hayden

• Guardian (+100)
  • Shadow, Sonic and Tails are FTW
    • View Profile
The Official Crono Discussion Thread
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:24:57 pm »
when you first start as crono there is only hes mom,did they get a divorce or did hes dad die in a war? how did he even meet lucca was it like a accient the same thing that happend to marle and crono or they are childhood friends?

idioticidioms

Re: The Official Crono Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 08:13:56 pm »
I got the impression that Chrono and Lucca were childhood friends because of the way they interact with each other.

As for Crono's Dad.. nothing is really said anywhere in the game about that. In Chrono Cross, they explain how Serge ended up without a father, but they never really got around to explaining that in CT. Personally, I think they wanted to leave it up for guesswork and they might even get around to mentioning something about it in a sequel or something, should they ever get around to actually making one.

TheMage

• Artist of Termina
  • Time Traveler (+800)
  • Dreaming through time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:57:01 am »
It is hinted that Lucca and Chrono have known each other awhile, though its a bit troubling his own mother didnt know his only friend's name XD. i dont think anything is known about Chrono's father futhermore, I dont think there are any red headed characters like chrono in the game at all, there are blondes, like Marle, and purple haired women like Lucca, but no red heads, so I think its a safe bet Chrono must get his wild hair from his father, but besides guesses we know virtually nothing about him. Chrono is a decent swordsman, so i'm going to guess his father taught him that, however Guardia was peaceful, so im not sure about him dying in a war, though its possible.

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:06:50 am »
Yeah, it is ridiculous Crono's mother didn't know Lucca's name -- but it could be just a workaround to let you name her.

idioticidioms

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 04:30:32 am »
that's what I thought when I played it, utunnels. The kind of workaround you see in earlier games that didn't quite think it through. Either that, or his mom is just a ditz.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 06:25:53 am »
Well, yeah. She's not the smartest woman you'll ever see, thinking that a tall, pale, demonic looking wizard with a scythe isn't a particularly dangerous person not helping her situation a bit.

To be honest, that's probably where Crono gets a lot of his tendencies for stupidity from. It's not a good idea to mix 'numskull' with 'hero'.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 05:33:35 pm »
Also, that's why Crono has no clue who his dad is. His mom "doesn't know".

chi_z

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
  • And you thought the dalton idea was ludicrous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 12:42:33 am »
His da is Mosshu/Melchior don'tCHA know? That's why he's always so nice and helpful to Crono and gang. What happened to the dad in pokemon red/blue/green?

idioticidioms

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 05:29:48 am »
I thought Ash's Dad was Giovani

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 06:57:56 am »
Perhaps his red hair is just a disguise.
When he revealed his true power the hair will became golden.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2010, 06:16:03 pm »
Oh shit, that would be lolz. Put him as a guest character in one of the Dragon Quest games, get him over 9000- I mean, tension up to one hundred, have him go SSJ.

Lennis

• Chronopolitan (+300)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 09:28:36 am »
Yeah, it is ridiculous Crono's mother didn't know Lucca's name -- but it could be just a workaround to let you name her.

Yeah, that's exactly what it was.  I completely changed that in my novel, incidentally.

Given that the world of 1000 A.D. is peaceful, I seriously doubt that Crono's father died in a war.  It was probably an accident, similar to what happened to Lara Ashtear.  By extension, that may also explain why he and Lucca grew close - even though Lara didn't die.

In my version of events, Crono met Lucca on the very day of her mother's accident.  It was during his first day in Truce City - about four weeks after his father's death (which I've left vague for the time being).  So they've known each other for ten years and have an almost sibling-like relationship.  Crono learns his swordsmanship from a manual written by Melchior, which the Guru gave to him during an unplanned adventure in Medina several months earlier.  None of this is canon, but serves as an important foundation pillar for what happens at the Millennial Fair.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 05:23:05 pm »
It is a standard motif for the hero to be without at least one parent. Indeed, it is more ingrained in fantasy than an unlikely, sword-wielding guy saving the world. It seems likely that the design team didn't even consider what happened to his father (be he alive, dead, gone, or simply at work). Which is just to say that there is no official answer, but plenty of room for fans.

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 10:52:08 pm »
That's not just one character, if you count Lucca's mother being invalid, not a single playable character had both parents "there for them" during the game, or when the characters were "growing up".

utunnels

• Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 11:23:01 pm »
It seems likely that the design team didn't even consider what happened to his father

Yeah, but consider Serge's situation, it seems they planned to create a character with similar background as Crono, at least in the very beginning of the game.