Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 112638 times)

BROJ

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Errare Explorer (+1500)
    • View Profile
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #300 on: February 15, 2008, 04:56:41 pm »
You still don't need to translate the name, whether knowing the language or not.  Just try to pronounce it as the person says it.  Sure it may not be exact, but it is respectful if you try to say it proper.  Luminaire vs Lumière  is a pretty big and lazy difference.  There is no need to butcher it.
Again, no one is perfect, and phoneticism only goes so far... :roll:
Also zombie keys such as "è" are not *naturally* present in English as they are only present for imported words (e.g. from other languages) and names so it would be *nearly* impossible to interpret letters/sounds not *naturally* present in one's language.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 15, 2008, 05:21:20 pm »
Maybe so, if the alphabet is entirely different, such as Mandarin or Russian.  I also did say that it may not be exact, but trying to say it is more respectful than just changing it to make it easier for you to say.  Just because the English alphabet does not have some of those letters that doesn't mean you can't interpret or mimic the sound.  It is nearly impossible to pronounce the letter Ş?  No, you say it anytime you say the English word "She" because that is how it is pronounced.  Sure you may not know that if you are reading and see it in text form, but you can sure as hell repeat it if someone says their last name is Şandu.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 16, 2008, 06:37:46 pm »
Good News

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/04/10/60minutes/main4006951.shtml

Cancer-killing heat nanites.

Bad News

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/04/16/camera.england/index.html

Privacy-killing British authorities. But as someone I know would say about the world's evils, "until they fight for it, they don't deserve it."

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2008, 01:34:51 pm »
Good News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7354089.stm

UK: law discussed to cut down phony psychic mysticism et al.. Possibly a step towards cutting down religion?

Bad News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7355214.stm

Scum deemed at high risk of re-offending subsequently repeatedly rapes woman. Police conduct a '13 hour siege', letting him do so. Of course, he will probably be given a ridiculously light sentence and released and be at large in a few years.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #304 on: April 20, 2008, 01:39:01 am »
I doubt it is a step towards cutting down religion. The Church still plays a huge role in British policies if I'm not mistaken.

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 20, 2008, 07:39:20 pm »
It does, but I mean that some people consider their psychic rabble part of a 'religion'. However, the government is having none of that as an excuse. It seems like a good move against tolerating religious rubbish as if it is above reproach.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #306 on: April 20, 2008, 08:12:14 pm »
Too bad the Christians would do a "Danish Muhammad Cartoons" on the Church if it was ever banned.

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 26, 2008, 01:13:05 am »
http://www.nadiaplesner.com/
Support both Darfur help, and protest improper :!: copyright use.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 26, 2008, 01:32:32 pm »
That seems to have less to do with copyright laws and more to do with frivolous lawsuits. The Darfur fundraiser image should be protected as satir and, while I certainly could be wrong, one can't sue for designs that are "inspired by" copyrighted material, only that which is actually copyrighted.

It is even debateable if the design itself sans implementation can be copyrighted. A photographer can take a picture of basically anything they want (provided that it is not another picture of painting) and the copyright isn't protected (even if it is a picture or painting, that is debateable. See appropriation artwork). To offer an example: say a photographer takes a picture of this bag; that image is copyrighted to the photographer and does not infringe on the companies copyrights in the least.

Besides... that bag looks like something I'd find in my grandmother's closet... or in a toy isle at BigLots. Hardly noteable enough to claim copyright on.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:35:27 pm by Thought »

Burning Zeppelin

• God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
    • Delicate Cutters
« Reply #310 on: April 30, 2008, 08:26:29 am »
Good News:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24374035/

Stories of survival really warm my heart. In actual fact, I really couldn't find anything good enough to counter the bad...

Bad News:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/27/iraq.military1

Eugh.

placidchap

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 30, 2008, 09:06:06 am »
Bad News:
Eugh.

I'd say.  Humanity sucks, quite often.

VincentGAU8

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Toma The Explorer!! TOMA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 30, 2008, 09:57:19 am »
Bad News:
Eugh.

I'd say.  Humanity sucks, quite often.

quite often indeed.. Tragic, as many other things in this world..  :(

Kebrel

• Springtime of Youth
  • Magical Dreamer (+1250)
  • नार्य काम संस्कृत
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 30, 2008, 08:30:13 pm »
Two weeks after the murder, Leila left Ali. She could no longer bear to live under the same roof as her daughter's killer and asked for a divorce. 'I was beaten and had my arm broken by him,' she said. 'No man can accept being left by a woman in Iraq. But I would prefer to be killed than sleep in the same bed with a man who was able to do what he did to his own daughter, who, over the years, had only given him unconditional love.'
A fine example that the mindset isn't in everybody. Amen Leila, keep on fighting.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 20, 2008, 10:58:41 am »