Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 112623 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #765 on: February 17, 2010, 12:38:06 am »
The good news is made even better by the fact that circumcision seems to be one method of fighting HIV(the other obvious one would be condoms and whatnot) that even Benedictus can get behind.

I think I'm misreading you here, but the Pope is hugely against condoms. Regardless of that, I doubt he'll get behind this contraption, because I don't think he's sincerely against the spread of AIDS.

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #766 on: February 17, 2010, 02:46:27 am »
I think I'm misreading you here, but the Pope is hugely against condoms. Regardless of that, I doubt he'll get behind this contraption, because I don't think he's sincerely against the spread of AIDS.

Errr...I guess I wasn't clear enough. My main statement was that even the Pope would get behind this particular process, or at the very least not oppose it, because circumcision isn't remanded by any Catholic dogma(that I know of; of course, I'm no theologian). The point is, without Benedictus and the evangelicals pooh-poohing this, it will hopefully be an important substitute to condom usage.

I put the bit in about condoms because its such an obvious, relatively inexpensive and effective means to reduce the spread of HIV, but the Pope seems to want to have none of that.

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #767 on: February 18, 2010, 12:39:58 am »
Yeah, you were saying what I thought you were.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: February 18, 2010, 10:36:45 am »
I put the bit in about condoms because its such an obvious, relatively inexpensive and effective means to reduce the spread of HIV, but the Pope seems to want to have none of that.

Don't you know? Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great. If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #769 on: February 18, 2010, 11:39:03 am »
I think God will forgive us if we use it as a means to prevent a biological genocide.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: February 18, 2010, 12:31:43 pm »
We're getting old, Thought. The young'uns today have no idea what we're talking about. Great Pink Unicorn, what's next? Will I be alone in my veneration of the good old days of Squeeze Pops and Muppet Babies?

Shee

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
  • Sheeeeeeit
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: February 18, 2010, 03:31:40 pm »

Don't you know? Every sperm is sacred, every sperm is great. If a sperm is wasted, God gets quite irate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0kJHQpvgB8

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #772 on: February 18, 2010, 04:05:40 pm »
It would have to be the one Monty Python movie I have yet to see...

Guess I'm gonna have to start googling everything Thought says that seems out of character.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 04:15:36 pm by Truthordeal »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: February 18, 2010, 04:45:19 pm »
It seems that the pilot whose small plane crashed into an IRS building in Texas this morning (and probably killed at least one person there) did it on purpose.

http://www.komonews.com/news/national/84707037.html

Perhaps he was just a mentally ill individual who had a conspiratorial fear of, or egocentric gripe with, the IRS. But I think it's more likely that he was the latest in a growing trend of right-wing acts of violence, harassment, terrorism, and insurrection. My guess is that Glenn Beck has a little more blood on his hands today. We'll see how the story develops.

ZeaLitY

• Entity
  • End of Timer (+10000)
  • Spring Breeze Dancin'
    • View Profile
    • My Compendium Staff Profile
« Reply #774 on: February 20, 2010, 09:05:07 pm »
Good News

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/hormone-could-heal-brain-damage-1905148.html

A female hormone might be able to reverse brain damage if used quickly.

Bad News

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2010/02/governments-from-around-world-admit.html

In light of the Mossad assassination of a Hamas commander (in which the agents used co-opted European IDs), false-flag attacks are in the spotlight. Here's a list of other examples of attacks perpetuated by sovereign states.

Quacks are Quacks News

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8526017.stm - Belgian coma man hailed as being able to write for the first time in 23 years because of assisted writing can't actually communicate. In other news, 99% of the coma assisted communication industry is a fraud, and ranks there with homeopathy and other "alternative" medicine.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: February 22, 2010, 08:37:52 pm »
News time, everybody!

Good News
Jobs Bill Passes Key Vote in Senate with Moderate Bipartisan Margin

Five GOP senators and one GOP-leaning independent actually voted for cloture on the jobs bill, meaning that the jobs bill—which is one of the Obama administration's four or five key legislative priorities this year—is very likely to pass. And this jobs bill is actually an improvement upon the original proposal, which had been drafted by Republicans and conservative Democrats. This is the first significant bipartisan vote in the Senate since Obama took office over a year ago. It is a startling break in the GOP's Borg-like homogeneity, which is a testament to the bill's overwhelming popularity with the public. The final vote was 62 to 30.

Bad News
71 Percent of Americans Think Iran Has Nuclear Weapons

That's the word according to a new CNN / Opinion Research poll. This comes to you from the same country where nearly half the population does not apparently realize that the sun is a star.

This goes to show that opinion polls on matters of fact (as opposed to matters of preference) are totally worthless except in their utility in highlighting the stupidity of the American people and perhaps humans generally.

WTF News
Public Option More Popular than Senate Healthcare Bill in Multiple States

Speaking of opinion polls, here's one on preferences rather than facts. Time and again in our lifetime we have seen Democrats undermine themselves by not being liberal enough, and this is another indication of that—the latest in a long line of embarrassments and frustrations. The public option is overwhelmingly more popular in the states polled, often just short of twice as popular as the Senate bill.

This is a partisan poll, so you'll have to decide for yourself whether to take it at face value or explore the methodology. However, it mirrors poll results we've seen over the past year, indicating huge public support for the public option. And yet our Democrats in Congress just don't seem to care.

idioticidioms

« Reply #776 on: February 22, 2010, 09:53:18 pm »
Yeah, we all know that it's IRAQ with the nukes, not Iran. What's wrong with people?

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #777 on: February 24, 2010, 05:58:56 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100224/ap_on_re_us/us_colo_school_shooting_26

More good news from our schools. I can't tell if I'm being sarcastic or not with that statement.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: March 02, 2010, 07:42:49 pm »
U.S. May Impose Rule Requiring Cars to Have Brake-Activated Accelerator Override

This development is in response to the Toyota problems of late, where some of their cars' accelerators got stuck.

This proposed rule strikes me as a bad idea, as it would take away a significant degree of the control drivers have on steep hills. I maintain that the preferred way to get out of a stuck accelerator is to shift into neutral while braking. Braking while accelerating, if you use the main brakes, provides a considerable degree of braking control (albeit at much greater cost to the brakes), while shifting into neutral will cut out the accelerator without interfering with a motorist's ability to deliberately accelerate and brake simultaneously when desired.

What do you think?

Oh, and an anecdote: My first car, a '76 Volare, had an engine notoriously prone to dying in cold weather while at idle. I found that the only way to get to school without the engine dying was to accelerate and brake at stops. It's not a relevant anecdote, as engines today are very different and cars are much less likely to die while at idle, but it does bring back some memories!

utunnels

• Guru of Reason Emeritus
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: March 03, 2010, 01:03:01 am »
http://www.chinasmack.com/pictures/chinese-beggar-becomes-famous-online/

I don't know whether people should give too much attention to a specific poor man, but it is definitely not right to disturb one who has mental problem in a straight forward way. I feel a bit sad when heard that he was scared by countless strangers and journalists. Just hope it will have a happy result later.