Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 112417 times)

Truthordeal

• Dimension Crosser (+1000)
  • Dunno what's supposed to go here. Oh now I see.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Account
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #630 on: October 10, 2009, 07:22:45 pm »
Quote from: KebreI
This makes it sound like he deserves just for becoming our President. If you read the actual text here. They sound pretty obvious that they awarded it based on what Obama wants to accomplish more then his accomplishments thusfar, which is bull shit. Hell Facebook has an ongoing poll, not the most well funded or any thing but its still the people, right now there are only 71605 vote but out of those 78% say he doesn't diverse it.

After seeing who he ran against, I'm not too sure he deserves it either. But then again, I see this as a great opportunity for the US to regain some foreign support. The Nobel Peace Prize has little significance for me personally anymore, but it might give the quintessential Snooty Frenchman™ something to think about. We do have a practical use for what is personally insignificant.

So, exploit the hell out of some Swedish prestige!

As for Maddow's segment...eh, its nothing untypical. She started out really well, but it kinda keeled off about halfway through.

Quote from: KebreI
I'll also toss this in, former President Kennedy wasn't that great of a president.

I've read reports from both sides of the argument. To be fair, its more like the two extremes of the argument; one saying he was a pinko commie marxist, and the other saying he was an inspiration, hero, etc. Now that I think about it, if you take the arguments out of context and apply them to the Bush and Obama Administrations, you'd see some similarities.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • ^_^ "Ayla teach at college level!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: October 14, 2009, 02:04:04 am »
New statistics suggest that outlawing abortion does not cut the rate of abortion:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8305217.stm

The result, of course, is that millions of females annually are exposed to unsafe abortions which endanger their health and even their lives. If outlawing abortion does not cut its occurrence, then it follows that there is no reason for the anti-choicers to oppose legal abortion laws even if they themselves would not take advantage of those laws, or, in the case of males, permit their obedient wives and female charges to take advantage of those laws.

Naturally, being an abortion article, the media just can't resist quoting the anti-choice people, even when they have nothing to do with the actual news story. However, I think the BBC puts a twist on it by damning the fundies with faint praise:

Quote from: BBC News
Josephine Quintavalle of the pro-life Comment on Reproductive Ethics said stopping women falling pregnant in the first place was an area where minds could meet.

"Abortion - back street or front street - is not the answer. Ensuring women have the means to end their pregnancies is not liberating them - they should be able to make real choices before they fall pregnant in the first place," she said.

"But that shouldn't necessarily mean taking pills everyday. There will always be problems with access and cost, particularly in countries where people struggle just to buy food.

"What we need is to better understand our fertility - if there are just 24 fertile hours in a month, we need to work out a cheap, effective way for women to know when they can fall pregnant. That would be freedom, and that's what we should aim for."

Quoting an argument that bad probably helps our side more than theirs.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: October 14, 2009, 04:25:51 am »
Female sailors are now slated to begin serving on U.S. Navy submarines as early as 2011:

http://www.seattlepi.com/national/1110ap_us_women_on_submarines.html

I am pleased and greatly surprised at how fast all of this has happened. It was only a few weeks ago that the Admiral publicized his opinion. I thought it would be harder than this, but apparently not. Apparently the only thing holding this up was opposition from the moralists. Go figure. Military policy tends to stagnate during conservative administrations, and then make leaps and bounds during liberal ones. That this could be happening so quickly suggests that the pressure has been building up for years.

Curious, and a testament to the military, that many of the key people involved in this are leftovers from the Bush era.

FaustWolf

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • Arbiter (+8000)
  • Fan Power Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: October 14, 2009, 01:37:44 pm »
Bad News: Explorers predict arctic ice will be obliterated during each summer season within ten years.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091014/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_arctic_expedition

Regardless of the cause, this is a huge issue. The Earth's albedo will decrease, allowing progressively more and more heat in.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:39:34 pm by FaustWolf »

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: October 14, 2009, 01:54:07 pm »

Bad News: Explorers predict arctic ice will be obliterated during each summer season within ten years.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091014/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_arctic_expedition

I don't really buy into the whole alarmist side of global warming. (really, it should be called "climate change")

Predictions like these are, at best, slightly based in reality, but unrealistic nonetheless. Case in point? Back in 1974, climatologists predicted that we were headed toward a new Ice Age.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,944914,00.html

What exactly happened in 35 years that made us change our minds?  The article seemed pretty legit.

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #635 on: October 14, 2009, 02:03:19 pm »
Global warming is just...bah. Screw it. I'm not one for alarmist dogmas because they're rarely as urgent as a politician, professor, etc. will have you believe. I'm still undecided on the issue myself so...yeah.

I think the submarine is the final frontier for women in the armed forces. We've been breaking the procedure of not allowing them on the front lines since the War on Terror began, so except for the glass ceiling aspect, women and men are going to be treated pretty equally. Now we just need to get rid of Don't Ask, Don't Tell.

That reasoning alone is why I support legalized abortion. I don't necessarily condone it from a moral standpoint, but the practicality of it is overwhelming.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: October 14, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »
What exactly happened in 35 years that made us change our minds?

Oh, nothing really. Just the launch of dozens of observational satellites, the computerization of climate forecast models, the disbursement of thousands of new ground and ocean data collection instruments, the drilling of thousands of new ice cores, the commissioning of hundreds of scientific ships and research laboratories, and 35 extra years of highly accurate data to add to our trendlines.

It's sort of like how medicine, computers, and telephones haven't really changed in 35 years either...

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #637 on: October 14, 2009, 03:20:07 pm »
Not to mention 35 years of reckless population increase.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 14, 2009, 03:24:46 pm »
Pah. How could I have forgotten the trillions of tons of added greenhouse gas emissions? Those are of particularly no consequence!

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
« Reply #639 on: October 14, 2009, 03:28:31 pm »
It's almost as if superior ability to interpret a dynamic situation could lead to one changing their views in light of changing circumstances!

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: October 14, 2009, 03:35:16 pm »
How preposterous! If I learn something once, it ought to have the good sense to stay the same. I can't be troubled to learn it again.

GenesisOne

• Bounty Seeker
  • "Time Travel? Possible? Don't make me laugh!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: October 14, 2009, 03:38:44 pm »
Even so, climate change poses no real threat to our planet, says a consensus of reputable scientists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvLt3nU14W4

The convention mentioned in this video may be past, but the message still remains.  You especially need to see this.  Very informative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRaeEIN5Sh8&feature=channel

Lord J, I must ask.  How do you view climate change?

Update: As it turns out, trees are the biggest contributor to climate change and the greenhouse gas it emits that makes up 99% of the atmosphere...

Water vapor.

Pah. How could I have forgotten the trillions of tons of added greenhouse gas emissions? Those are of particularly no consequence!

You're right.  They are of particularly no consequence.

Humans produce a negligible < 1%, also of no particular consequence.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 03:55:33 pm by GenesisOne »

Truthordeal

• View Profile
    • Youtube Account
« Reply #642 on: October 14, 2009, 04:15:03 pm »
Grrr...climate change...never before have I faced a more wretched topic so proven yet contradictory.

Say the alarmists are right. If we don't act, we die. Say the others are right. If we act hastily, we pose the threat of crippling an already weakened economy.

Green technology(in the cases where it works, that is) is a good step in either direction. If its more efficient and energy saving, good. If it helps reduce costs, even better. If it helps control our "carbon footprint," then bonus. If it works, keep it. If it doesn't, scrap it. Easy enough.

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: October 14, 2009, 05:43:28 pm »
Even so, climate change poses no real threat to our planet, says a consensus of reputable scientists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvLt3nU14W4

The convention mentioned in this video may be past, but the message still remains.  You especially need to see this.  Very informative.

The very premise that the word of “reputable scientists” is sufficient to settle a debate reveals that you either do not understand what science is, or that you are willing to accept any authority provided that it agrees with what you already believe. All that matters is what is actually happening, and how observational or experimental data indicate it is happening. Your use of the word “reputable” is especially unpersuasive. What reputation are you appealing to? Are you appealing to these professionals' actual degrees? Well, there are vast more professionals with even more impressive credentials who support the prevailing views on climate change. Do their degrees not count? Hrm.

No, I think what you are appealing to is the notion that these particular scientists have access to better data, or have made better interpretations of data, than the majority. This is where their supposed reputation comes from. They're not just professionals: They're professionals who got it right. Or so you say. On what basis do you, personally, make that judgment? Serious question.

Despite being a serious question, there is only even one good answer to such a question: good data. Scientists themselves don't matter, and reputations are only ever relevant indirectly. The best scientists will try to make their own presence completely transparent in their work. Only the science itself really matters, and what “the science” tells us (via those aforementioned weather stations and research ships and observational satellites) is that global warming as a subprocess of global climate change is now underway. That much is not legitimately in dispute.

There is room for at least some debate on almost everything else. On the least credible end of the spectrum is the claim that the current warming is the result purely or primarily of natural processes. This claim is implausible because most of the natural agencies identified as potential culprits, even in aggregate, are not capable of producing the magnitude of change we have seen on the short time scale involved. It is even more implausible because it ignores the incredible influence of human activity in shaping the Earth's environment, where we have altered the composition of the oceans, the land, and the atmosphere. In contrast, on the most credible end of the spectrum is the claim that the global warming now underway is part of a sustained trend, and that temperatures will continue to increase so long as we continue to bolster or trigger the planet's heat-retaining mechanisms. The degree of consensus on that point is why every climate prediction model that I know of has forecast significant warming in the course of this century.

The fact that some scientists disagree with the prevailing views on climate change is a good thing, but what they're going to be disagreeing with is data validity and model accuracy, and thus with the overall theory. That debate, within the broader scientific community, is rarely aired in the public eye. Far more juicy, and profitable I suppose, is the promise of a good, old-fashioned, two-sided controversy over a sensational premise. All of the aforementioned disagreements are lumped into a single camp, the “global warming is real and we're causing it” camp. The other camp consists of those who are opposed to the changes in policy and law that would come as a response to these changes in the climate. So that's the “debate” we're having instead...a largely manufactured circus. I'm familiar with the Heartland Institute, and when they put their name on a climate change item it's rather like the Discovery Institute putting its name on an evolution item. The Heartland Institute is not a scientific organization or even a scientific lobby; it is a free-market political lobby whose stated objectives include the privatization of public services and massive deregulation—an agenda which just so happens to be threatened by the increased government intervention in free enterprise that is certain to come with more stringent environmental laws that will be passed in response to global warming. The Heartland Institute has every reason, except a scientific one, to deny human-made climate change and to fund its opposition. Indeed, the Heartland Institute itself has in the past received substantial funding from the established interests of the energy sector—the interests who perhaps stand to lose the most in climate change reform. These days, the Heartland Institute no longer discloses its funding sources. Hrm.

I watched your “very informative” video. It's not very informative. It's filled with contradictions. At one point, a graphic on the screen says “Nothing is clear” while the voiceover says “In fact, the science  is proving the Earth is cooling, not heating up.” So, which is it? Another graphic says that thousands of scientists have signed a petition claiming that “global warming poses no crisis to Earth.” So we're cooling down, but, even if we were heating up instead, it wouldn't be a problem? Talk about hedging your bets! The video then has the audacity to claim that global climate change reformists are in it for the money—which is as brazen as it is because the whole existence of this controversy is due to the fact that the implications of this emerging science have driven industry interests to spend enormous amounts of money fabricating an opposition that will dispute the credibility of the science—a better theater of war, I suppose, than trying to make the case that we shouldn't make any changes to our industrial practices in the midst of an overstressed planetary environment. In classic Republican tradition, they go on to try and scare you with anxious music, threats of global financial ruin, and fast flashes of emotionally jarring images, only for the voiceover guy to then allege that it's the other side that's trying to scare you, and that the Heartland Institute doesn't do that. Cue the soft music and fluffy clouds. (Seriously; watch it for yourself.)

I checked some of their sources, and in every case I found a distortion. Credentials are overstated and statistics are misrepresented. In at least one instance, it's a flat-out lie. Unfortunately most people do not go to the extra step of checking sources; if an interest identifies its sources, most people consider that to be a good enough sign that the sources are valid and are being accurately represented.

Your “very informative” video has no credibility, and that you would recommend it to someone like me is foolish. I know the difference between science and marketing. Either you don't, or you think I'm stupid.

Speaking of me, what's my basis for saying all of this? What authority do I speak from? After all, I'm not one of those who has a Ph.D in an applicable field, or in any field for that matter. (Incidentally, some of the scientists comprising that list of “reputable” global warming deniers don't even have degrees in climate-related fields.) I haven't been personally involved in any scientific research on the subject. What I have done is follow the news. There are plenty of science blogs out there, as well as government and university websites which publish their reports, and sometimes a story will even make it into the traditional news media. This continual torrent of new information makes it clear that one of two things is going on: Either our understanding and documentation of global climate change is improving tremendously, or there is some kind of global scientific conspiracy going on (either a conspiracy of great cunning, or a conspiracy of great stupidity; take your pick).

But I wouldn't necessarily trust any news as much as I am able to after having taken a glaciology course back in college. My major was astronautical engineering, but I was always fond of branching out and taking interesting classes off my degree track. One of them, and, incidentally, the single best class I ever took in my life, was “Geology 417: Environmental Change in the Glacial Ages.” The professor was about to take on emeritus status; this was his last quarter teaching that course. The entire twelve weeks consisted of him showing us slides. Literally. We didn't do anything else except for the midterms and finals. But it wasn't boring or sedative. It was absolutely riveting. The professor and the material came together like nothing I've ever experienced before, and I learned a great deal. One of the countless things I learned about is just how real global warming is. That was clear even in 2002, and anyone who had gone into such a classroom with an open mind would not have been able to arrive at any other conclusion.

Lord J, I must ask.  How do you view climate change?

I view climate change with the respect deserved of any topic so complex, and with the urgency demanded of any crisis so serious.

In the process of writing my reply, you edited your post and added this:

Update: As it turns out, trees are the biggest contributor to climate change and the greenhouse gas it emits that makes up 99% of the atmosphere...

Water vapor.

You're right.  They are of particularly no consequence.

Humans produce a negligible < 1%, also of no particular consequence.

I may as well have not bothered to write a reply at all. I thought you were being serious.

Since I've come this far, I suppose I'll bother to fact check you. Sigh.

First, the atmosphere is not 99 percent water vapor. What you probably meant is that water vapor makes up most of the Earth's atmosphere's current greenhouse gas. But if that is what you mean, then what you actually wrote was a very crude mistake. And "99 percent" is not a correct statistic in any case.

Water vapor is an extremely potent greenhouse gas, much more so than carbon dioxide. Global warming deniers love to point out that water vapor is usually not included in "greenhouse gas emissions," and indeed the inclusion of water vapor would trivialize all human industrial output. The problem with treating them interchangeably is that global warming is not the same as global warmth. Water vapor is and has been present at saturation levels in our atmosphere for millions of years. Much of the Earth's mild surface temperature is due to to the heat exchange between day and night facilitated by water vapor. Without water vapor, the days would be hotter and the nights would be much colder. On average, however, the planet's surface would be much colder.

Obviously not every area of the atmosphere is "saturated" with water vapor in the classical sense of saturation, but the dynamics of the atmosphere are such that, globally, you can't put any more water into it: As much comes out in the form of precipitation as goes up in the form of evaporation (and sublimation). Therefore, absent other changes to the environmental variables of the planet, water vapor has already reached 100 percent of its global warming potential.

In contrast, the amount of carbon dioxide that the atmosphere is capable of absorbing is nowhere near its limit. Indeed, its limit is beyond the limits of most life on Earth: On land all oxygen-breathers would suffocate, and the oceans would turn to acid, killing most sea life. Similarly, with methane, a much more powerful greenhouse gas than CO2, the atmosphere's storage capacity is far, far higher than the amount of methane presently in it.

Carbon dioxide and methane are only two of several key human-made greenhouse gas emissions. By our practices we are introducing quantities of these gases into the atmosphere on a scale that nature has not replicated in thousands if not millions of years. Unlike water vapor, these represent new additions of greenhouse capacity into the atmosphere. That's why they're so dangerous. All of those fossil fuels and cows and destroyed forests...they are releasing greenhouse gases into the atmosphere completely in defiance of the planet's present native equilibrium. They are adding warmth to an already warm planet. Going by the rate of warming rather than the absolute output of greenhouse gases--which is, after all, the relevant way to analyze the data--humanity's share is far, far greater than your bogus "< 1%" figure. Hrm.

I learned most of this stuff seven years ago, in that glaciology class, as well as in an astronomy class a year or two earlier, in the midst of discussions on Venus. I can't help but think to myself that, if only you'd had access to a good education, we wouldn't be having this "discussion" today.

On a final note, I couldn't let this go without some comment, since it gave me a laugh: Trees are not the largest source of climate change by any conceivable measure. If you're talking about that whole discredited water vapor bit, then, no, the oceans put out the vast majority of water vapor. If you're talking about deforestation, then, no, it's fossil fuels that put out the most carbon dioxide. Trees do put out a lot, but they also soak up a lot, whereas fossil fuel combustion is a one-way street. If you're talking about planetary albedo, then, no, trees are very dark as far as land surfaces are concerned. Jeez. It's almost like you get your facts from the Heartland Institute or something...

Edit: Minor flow mistakes corrected.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 06:01:14 pm by Lord J Esq »

Lord J Esq

• Moon Stone J
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: October 14, 2009, 06:19:11 pm »
Say the others are right. If we act hastily, we pose the threat of crippling an already weakened economy.

That's a non-starter. Greening the economy would in no way cripple the economy. Just think about the implications: If that were true, then we'd be facing the end of civilization: unable to continue the status quo and unable to afford reforms.

What's going to happen with reform is that many existing industries are going to contract, fail, or change. That's life, and a healthy and necessary part of change, since the parts of the economy that would be going away are those most responsible for our current problems.

More specifically than the industries in question, however, is the fact that, with reform, a handful of very rich people who get their money from specific places are going to be faced with losing some of their profit streams. So they go out and proclaim that the reforms will be bad for the economy. It's practically a rule of life. Any time you see someone in the news advocating a certain policy position, check to see if they have a large financial stake in the outcome. You will be amazed. One of the weaknesses in the armor of a corporatist is that their motives are so damn obvious to anyone who bothers to look.

There's a lot of money to be made in the greening of our national economy. But the process entails risk and hard work, which is why the entrenched interests have so little desire in supporting needed reform: They've already got their fortunes...why embrace the uncertainty of the unknown? That's why innovation usually begins with upstarts and small businesses. And, as it always goes, some of these new entrepreneurs will strike it big and shoot past the recalcitrant barons sitting anxiously atop their piles of money with their eyes closed and ears plugged.

Unless environmental reform is structured in Congress to be a corporate giveaway, the only people who have anything to fear from reform are the rich bastards who won't make as much money as they otherwise would have, and the laborers whose job skills are so specific that they can't get comparable work anywhere else. The former group, the rich bastards, can go cry on their gold-embroidered handkerchiefs for all I care. The latter group, the specialized workers, can be compensated by the government to either retire or attend college to extend their education.