Author Topic: Humanity: Good News, Bad News  (Read 112626 times)

Radical_Dreamer

• Entity
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
    • View Profile
    • The Chrono Compendium
Re: Humanity: Good News, Bad News
« Reply #390 on: May 27, 2009, 03:17:33 pm »
So you don't find the fact that the California constitution now contradicts itself to be a problematic consequence of this? What good is the rule of law when the law is in opposition to itself?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 27, 2009, 03:37:40 pm »
Problematic? Sure, but it is the lesser of two evils; the rule of law would be in opposition to itself regardless of how the court decided. As long as the power of the vote is preserved, and that power is universally shared among the populace, infringements on any other concept can be corrected. Homosexuals might not have the right to marry whom they choose, but they still have the right to have their votes mean something. In turn this means that Prop 8 can be undone in the exact same manner that it was done in. Prop 8 is an injustice, but one that can be corrected. If, however, the right to vote of all citizens (including homosexuals) was injured, what recourse would the populace have?

IAmSerge

• Temporal Warrior (+900)
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 27, 2009, 04:33:04 pm »
Bad News

That's taking that waaay too far.

Despite what you MAY think I would say, I 100% agree with you on this one, Zeality.  *sigh facepalm*

MsBlack

• Squaretable Knight (+400)
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 27, 2009, 11:43:29 pm »
What do you think about more strictly regulating inbreeding and linebreeding? For example, would it be a good idea to make it necessary for breeders and sellers to apply for, hold and renew licences to breed and sell inbred and linebred dogs (or, really, any such animal in general) to make sure it's done for legitimate purposes and for buyers to apply for a permit to verify that they require specifically an inbred or linebred animal (as opposed to one that isn't either of those) for legitimate purposes?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 11:45:08 pm by MsBlack »

KebreI

• Errare Explorer (+1500)
  • A true man never dies, even when he's killed
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 28, 2009, 12:00:03 am »
What do you think about more strictly regulating inbreeding and linebreeding? For example, would it be a good idea to make it necessary for breeders and sellers to apply for, hold and renew licences to breed and sell inbred and linebred dogs (or, really, any such animal in general) to make sure it's done for legitimate purposes and for buyers to apply for a permit to verify that they require specifically an inbred or linebred animal (as opposed to one that isn't either of those) for legitimate purposes?
Took me a sec to realize you weren't talking about people  :shock:

Romana

• Springtime of Youth
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • Fight the Future
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #396 on: June 02, 2009, 08:18:55 pm »
Good News:

PANDAS BORN! http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/science/09/12/china.pandas.ap/index.html

We're always hearing how pandas are getting the shaft. Finally, some good news about captive breeding.

Bad News:

JESUS CAMP! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UWIb4FwHPg

The video has been removed! Oh no! Is this bad? Or have I been saved from permanent mental scarring...?

Uboa

• Acacia Deva (+500)
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 02, 2009, 11:53:49 pm »
Well, you are missing mass baptizing with a small bottle of Nestle Pure Life water, which I found a little funny when I watched it.  Aside from that, though, it is pretty scary.  Seeing six or seven year olds cry (really cry!) while repenting for their lives full of sin...  For personal reasons I don't like chastising everything to do with religion outright, but I've thought differently in the past because of seeing things like that.

Katie Skyye

• Poet of El Nido
  • Acacia Deva (+500)
  • And you'll never catch her...
    • View Profile
    • Katie Skyye's Deviantart
« Reply #398 on: June 03, 2009, 11:09:42 am »
Well, you are missing mass baptizing with a small bottle of Nestle Pure Life water, which I found a little funny when I watched it.  Aside from that, though, it is pretty scary.  Seeing six or seven year olds cry (really cry!) while repenting for their lives full of sin...  For personal reasons I don't like chastising everything to do with religion outright, but I've thought differently in the past because of seeing things like that.

Wow...just, wow. Some people need to stop with the religion and just have faith...because that's taking things too far. What could a six-year-old possibly have done that was that bad?! I mean, there are some mean kids out there, but...jeez.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 03, 2009, 11:26:10 am »
Good news

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Presidential-Proclamation-LGBT-Pride-Month/

So, they get a month and nothing else?

I'm a bit cynical about such things; unless celebrations grow up among the people naturally, they always seem to be artificial and ineffective. Asian Pacific American Heritage Month and Caesar Chavez Day come to mind as two examples. To me this smacks of political maneuvering, not social justice.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 04, 2009, 04:47:17 am »
Good news

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Presidential-Proclamation-LGBT-Pride-Month/

So, they get a month and nothing else?

I'm a bit cynical about such things; unless celebrations grow up among the people naturally, they always seem to be artificial and ineffective. Asian Pacific American Heritage Month and Caesar Chavez Day come to mind as two examples. To me this smacks of political maneuvering, not social justice.

straight people dont get a month, white people dont get a history month or week, men dont have a rights movement...

...damn, the world is so unfair!!!

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 04, 2009, 10:23:19 am »
Well the justification goes that every other month is "white history month." That is, the norm is white/straight, so it is the disenfranchised that need to be given token recognition so that the mainstream can sleep easier.

Though a general rights movement month, that honors the struggle to achive universal suffrage, isn't such a bad idea. That would include the struggle of white men who weren't land owners to get the vote.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 04, 2009, 01:20:47 pm »
Well the justification goes that every other month is "white history month."

Man, I've been told that before.  Not trying to knock your credibility, but I still don't believe that.
Besides, I'd rather have 1 month than 11 or 10 or something.

That is, the norm is white/straight, so it is the disenfranchised that need to be given token recognition so that the mainstream can sleep easier.

Though its not the way I believe, it's probably how the majority of the world thinks, sadly...
...sadly, because thats still like:
"Hey, white people, you guys are THE BEST.  Oh, but you other guys, oh, yeah, uh, here, have a month dedicated to you or somethin."

Though a general rights movement month, that honors the struggle to achive universal suffrage, isn't such a bad idea. That would include the struggle of white men who weren't land owners to get the vote.

Hmm, now THATS an interesting idea...

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 04, 2009, 01:50:42 pm »
Man, I've been told that before.  Not trying to knock your credibility, but I still don't believe that.

Feel free to knock away; I didn't mean that such a statement was what I thought, just that such is the explanation I've generally heard. I agree with you, it's a bit dubious. It is sort of like saying that since we dedicate one day a year to love, every other day of the year is dedicated to platonic relationships.

IAmSerge

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 04, 2009, 02:15:03 pm »

Feel free to knock away; I didn't mean that such a statement was what I thought, just that such is the explanation I've generally heard.

Oh, no, I mean, what I meant was I didn't want to, like, degrade your reliability or take points off your honesty meter (I don't exactly know how to phrase it anymore), because thats the explanation I've heard before as well.  Or atleast, a similar explanation to a similar topic.

I agree with you, it's a bit dubious. It is sort of like saying that since we dedicate one day a year to love, every other day of the year is dedicated to platonic relationships.