Author Topic: Doctor Who/Torchwood  (Read 12856 times)

tushantin

• CC:DBT Dream Team
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
  • Under Your Moonlight, Stealing Your Stars
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: Doctor Who/Torchwood
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2013, 01:51:48 pm »
I've actually stopped watching DW to be honest.  It's not as interesting to me as it used to be and I'm incredibly fickle when it comes to TV shows.  It was fun while it lasted though!
It's actually the opposite for me; it's getting better! In any case, you're missing out, especially since this second-half season is pretty amazing.

That, and (beyond David Tennent returning) the biggest secret is about to be revealed. I mean, Doctor who, really?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:53:45 pm by tushantin »

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2013, 05:57:32 pm »
Saw this on Facebook and laughed my chair off. (No, I don't wear a chair.) The difference between Scooby Doo and Doctor Who.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2013, 07:40:52 pm »
That's getting borderline too campy for me. Really, we're supposed to imagine that the Doctor's name is the most important secret in the universe, and has been for all time, even before he was born?

Luckily, it's almost certain they wont give us his "name." At least, not in a direct way. I could see them saying that he's name is "Hope" or something metaphysical like that. Although, this is Moffet. He's good at being mean. I could see that extending to giving us the Doctor's Realsies name. Which would be lame.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:49 am »
A strange idea struck me just now:

What if Doctor's real name was...

...Susan Foreman?

And that the First Doctor was, in fact, the second incarnation?

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2013, 09:50:52 pm »
I love Matt Smith. One of my favorite Doctors, if not my outright favorite. He has the right amount of charm and, when necessary, gravitas.

That being said, I've had a few ideas for the next doctor...

1.) The next doctor should be an old geezer, much like the First Doctor. It will contrast greatly with the young Eleventh.

2.) Or perhaps the next doctor could have a different ethnicity. I'm thinking of some kind of African descent - but he'd still need to be a quintessential Brit. For a time I thought that it would be cool to see an American doctor, but I've since change my mind. The only good Doctor is a British one.

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2013, 05:57:05 am »
I love Matt Smith. One of my favorite Doctors, if not my outright favorite. He has the right amount of charm and, when necessary, gravitas.
I love the mad scientist eccentricity thing he's got going on. XD My kinda guy!

That being said, I've had a few ideas for the next doctor...

1.) The next doctor should be an old geezer, much like the First Doctor. It will contrast greatly with the young Eleventh.
This reminds me of the biggest problem I had with the show. The Time Lords are nigh immortal, for god's sake! The Doctor is over 900 years old! That might sound like much, but it actually isn't; when you see the previous Master's episode, where he uses the laser screw-driver on the Doctor, I think it was hinted that any incarnation of the Doctor could stay young up until 1000 years, and only then do the genes begin to decay into old-age.

Yet, so far, the 9th, 10th and 11th Doctors have only been "900 years old" so far. All of them. Don't you think that's a quick death -- as in, dying three times -- in just a span of a hundred years?

That said, you wouldn't need the Doctor to regenerate just to be as old as the "First Doctor". Hiring an older actor look-alike, or just via make-up, could have the same Doctor we know as "being old".

2.) Or perhaps the next doctor could have a different ethnicity. I'm thinking of some kind of African descent - but he'd still need to be a quintessential Brit. For a time I thought that it would be cool to see an American doctor, but I've since change my mind. The only good Doctor is a British one.
Either that, or a woman. And ginger.

Just Saiyan.

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 02, 2013, 04:37:47 pm »
The show has always been a little vague on what the limitations of a regeneration was. It was previously indicated that a Time Lord regenerates into the same species as it nearest at the time. Except we've never seen a non-human looking Time Lord (unless you count Omega, but he lived in an Anti-Universe). Then again, it's thought that 9 had a different accent from the rest because he was near a northerner when he regenerated into that form. The same has been suggested for 8 (who was half human, you know).

However, I expect Doctor Who needs to have a lot more female writers before we'll ever see a female Doctor.

As for the next Doctor, I suppose that depends on how long Smith sticks around, and how quintessential the 11th doctor becomes. 5 was chosen specifically to contrast 4, both in appearance and also in the actor's reputation (5 was already well known and liked, so he could better resist the pressure to be like 4). Given that 11 reigns as the series is becoming widespread, I could see that if he sticks around for much longer, we'll need something else like that.

As a side note, my vote for the Doctor's name is "Run."

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2013, 05:55:25 am »
............... *starts a petition campaign to have a whole season with female writers*

That reminds me: the next-to-next episode in the season has been designed to make "Cybermen scary again". While what we planned through is undoubtedly horrifying in itself (but was assimilated in the Daleks idea in canon), what do you think Neil Gaiman has in mind?

Thought

• Guru of Time Emeritus
  • God of War (+3000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2013, 03:40:53 pm »
Awesomeness, with a side order of brilliant.

Ema

• Enlightened One (+200)
  • Truth Filter, Goodness Filter & Utility Filter...
    • View Profile
    • IG
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2013, 01:55:25 pm »
This whole season has been way too campy for my taste.

I want to see the Doctor get out of London/Earth for God's sake.

Also a female Doctor would be very welcome, he needs alien companions too.

Boo the Gentleman Caller

• Guru of Life Emeritus
  • Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2013, 12:14:38 am »
Give him an android companion. One who doesn't know that s/he is a machine. Bum bum buuuuuum...

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2013, 09:59:04 am »
...he needs alien companions too.
He has had a few. xD Strax? Vastra (who is actually an Earthling anyway)?

Give him an android companion.
....Rory?

Mr Bekkler

• Bounty Hunter
  • Zurvan Surfer (+2500)
  • So it goes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 08, 2013, 12:28:20 pm »
I've been listening to the Eighth Doctor Audio adventures lately between actual episodes with Eleven. Awesome stuff.

Manly Man

• Chronopolitan (+300)
  • Don't be a pussy. She looks legit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2013, 03:48:52 pm »
So, who else here thinks that Miss Frizzle is a Time Lord?

tushantin

• Hero of Time (+5000)
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2013, 08:39:26 pm »
I've been listening to the Eighth Doctor Audio adventures lately between actual episodes with Eleven. Awesome stuff.
Same here! I've heard "Stones of Venice". His eccentricity is more of an "Intelligently Drunk" kinda stuff.  :lol: